✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Mechwar said:
But that is just the point....this pastor deliberately ostricized a member because of his sexual orientation. How is that helping people.

Reach out to the sinner and try to reclaim him with fellowship.

"If a believer does something wrong, go, confront him when the two of you are alone. If he listens to you, you have won back that believer. But if he does not listen, take one or two others with you so that every accusation may be verified by two or three witnesses. If he ignores these witnesses, tell it to the community of believers. If he also ignores the community, deal with him as you would a heathen or a tax collector.

(Matthew 18:15-17 GW)

-----

"If your brother sins against you, go and rebuke him in private. If he listens to you, you have won your brother.But if he won't listen, take one or two more with you, so that by the testimony of two or three witnesses every fact may be established.If he pays no attention to them, tell the church. But if he doesn't pay attention even to the church, let him be like an unbeliever and a tax collector to you.

(Matthew 18:15-17 HCS)

Upvote 0

Ric

1 John 5:13
Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Onesimus85 said:
:doh: Thanks for the correction Ric, I suppose if it were the UMC's table then only UMC members would be able to partake in it. Good Call.

I hope I did not sound to "correcting", or that is - blunt. I was having a bad day that day. :blush:

God Bless! :)

Upvote 0

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Onesimus85 said:
Your correction was fine. I'm use to bluntness. The wink helped to make sure it was in a loving manner. :thumbsup: I hope that you are having a better day!

Thank you. And a better day is what I am having! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Origen

True Myth
Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
✟311.00
Faith
Methodist
A question, not hypothetical, for those who think the pastor in Virginia acted correctly in denying membership to another:

Should Church membership be denied to whites who belong to whites-only social organizations outside the church, for example a country club?

For reference, the Church defines racism like this:
Book of Disciple said:
We define racial discrimination as the disparate treatment and lack of full access to resources and opportunities in the church and in society based on race or ethnicity. Therefore, we recognize racism as sin and affirm the ultimate and temporal worth of all persons.
Book of Disciple , Social Principles: The Social Community: Rights of Racial and Ethnic Persons; http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1746.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Origen said:
A question, not hypothetical, for those who think the pastor in Virginia acted correctly in denying membership to another:

Should Church membership be denied to whites who belong to whites-only social organizations outside the church, for example a country club?

Book of Disciple , Social Principles: The Social Community: Rights of Racial and Ethnic Persons; http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1746.

good question, I look forward to the answers

Upvote 0

Onesimus85

Jan 7, 2005
For now, Earth
✟1,075.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Origen said:

I do not know of a whites-only country club, I guess I am blessed. I know of rich only country clubs, but as long as you have money they do not seem to care.

However, if I knew of someone who was an open racist, and I do, then I would not allow them to be a member of the church either. Racism is often fueled by hate, which has no business in the Chruch, the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Origen said:

Is racism a sin? Yes!

If the person is an unrepentant racist, and fails the biblical test of Matthew 18:15-17, out the door he/she goes!

The very same example as the first post in this thread!

Upvote 0

sinner/SAVED

homo unis libri / εραστής της φρόνησης
Dec 3, 2004
Sowega
✟11,386.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
Even in this scenario, the pastor has no right to deny membership to anyone who takes the vows of the UMC.

Book of Discipline said:
Section V. Church Membership
¶ 214. The United Methodist Church, a fellowship of believers, is as a church also an inherent part of the church universal, which is composed of all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and which in the Apostles' Creed we declare to be the holy catholic church. Therefore, all persons shall be eligible to attend its worship services, participate in its programs, receive the sacraments, and be admitted as baptized or professing members in any local church in the connection. (In the case of persons whose disabilities prevent them from assuming the vows for baptized or professing membership, their legal guardian(s) or sponsor(s), themselves members in full covenant relationship with God and the Church, the community of faith, may recite the appropriate vows on their behalf.)

I can find no reference in the discipline that states we must be sin-free prior to entering into membership.

Reactions: Celticflower
Upvote 0

Origen

True Myth
Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
✟311.00
Faith
Methodist
sinner/SAVED said:
Even in this scenario, the pastor has no right to deny membership to anyone who takes the vows of the UMC. ... I can find no reference in the discipline that states we must be sin-free prior to entering into membership.

Agreed. Good job connecting the dots. ;)

It is while in the body of Christ that I'm most likey to be convicted of my sin by the Holy Spirit and by Grace led to freedom.

During our Baptism, we are asked and we affirm this: "Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin?" A racist, I suppose, could honestly affirm this statement because they probably don't yet recognize that sin in themselves, which is probably also true for most of us who with respect to our own unconvicted sin. At the risk of misquoting someone, "the Church is a hospital for sinners rather than a museum for saints."

Reactions: Celticflower
Upvote 0

Onesimus85

Jan 7, 2005
For now, Earth
✟1,075.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree that the church is not a museum for saints. However I believe that it is a place for equipping ministers of the Gospel. We, Christians, are all ministers. I have heard it said that the church is like a gym, we go there because we are trying to grow together and the best place to see how to grow is to be around those who are growing. However, it is useless for someone to join a gym if they have no intention of getting in shape or staying in shape. Likewise with the church. Numerous people join the church because they want to be affiliated with something. By saying "I belong to the Eastside Gym" one would assume I am interested in my physical health and practice an athletic or healthy lifestyle. By saying "I belong to Eastside UMC", one would think that a person is a Christian by association. However, numerous people become members of the church and are not Christians. We in the UMC are loosing are credibility, imo, because we have compromised our beliefs. In our day and age society is influencing the church rather than the church influencing society. The only way to bring the UMC and other churches back to the cross is for revival to sweep us again.

What fellowship does light have with darkness in the Body of Christ?

Upvote 0

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Onesimus85 said:
I agree that the church is not a museum for saints. However I believe that it is a place for equipping ministers of the Gospel. We, Christians, are all ministers. I have heard it said that the church is like a gym, we go there because we are trying to grow together and the best place to see how to grow is to be around those who are growing. However, it is useless for someone to join a gym if they have no intention of getting in shape or staying in shape. Likewise with the church. Numerous people join the church because they want to be affiliated with something. By saying "I belong to the Eastside Gym" one would assume I am interested in my physical health and practice an athletic or healthy lifestyle. By saying "I belong to Eastside UMC", one would think that a person is a Christian by association. However, numerous people become members of the church and are not Christians. We in the UMC are loosing are credibility, imo, because we have compromised our beliefs. In our day and age society is influencing the church rather than the church influencing society. The only way to bring the UMC and other churches back to the cross is for revival to sweep us again.

What fellowship does light have with darkness in the Body of Christ?

And all of God's children said, "Amen!"

It seems like you have drawn a circle on the ground around yourself and let the revival start within the circle!

Eastside UMC sounds like a good place to workout!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.