Pastafarian sworn into office wearing colander on his head.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Pastafarian politician takes oath of office wearing colander on his head - NY Daily News

Christopher Schaeffer, a Pastafarian minister, took his oath of office to join the Pomfret Town Board in New York while sporting the kitchen utensil. 'This may be the first openly Pastafarian sworn into office. For sure, the first to be sworn in wearing a colander,' said faith follower Bobby Henderson.

colander8n-2-web.jpg

FSM Bless America... Thoughts?

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think that there are plenty of religious nuts in the world who will do anything for a few minutes of media coverage.

But you don't want your (lack of) faith to look like an idiot's position. You want it to look like a well reasoned position that should be respected in the community. It is already an uphill battle to get people to think critically about what they believe, and why, and this guy is just another loon that will get lost in the sea of loons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think that there are plenty of religious nuts in the world who will do anything for a few minutes of media coverage.

But you don't want your (lack of) faith to look like an idiot's position. You want it to look like a well reasoned position that should be respected in the community. It is already an uphill battle to get people to think critically about what they believe, and why, and this guy is just another loon that will get lost in the sea of loons.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't understand how it relates to this situation/person.

What makes his lack of faith "look like an idiot's position"?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I think this "Pastafarian", "Flying Spaghetti Monster" garbage is mean-spirited, adolescent childish nonsense in the extreme.

All it amounts to is a way for atheists to mock Christians and other people of faith for having that faith. Say what you will about people who have faith, at least that faith gives them some kind of a code, a moral guideline to live their lives by and govern their behavior. The best of the people of faith sincerely try to live their lives in a way that they believe is pleasing to God and hopefully in kindness and service to their fellow man.

Guys like this individual claiming that "Pastafarianism" is his religion have no religious code---they don't believe in a higher power; nothing about any of this has anything to do with worship of a deity or of service to humankind. All it amounts to is a sneering, sarcastic way of saying to religious people, "You believe in a bunch of stupid hogwash that doesn't exist, and it offends me; so I can do that, too: here, watch!"

I'd have more respect for people like this guy if they'd just drop all of the mockery and fake religion and come right out and say what they actually do believe in, whether anybody likes it or not. But no, instead we get a vaudeville show with the clown saying, "Look at me---aren't I funny and witty? Ha, ha, ha."

No, he's not funny. He's sophomoric, disrespectful, and certainly nobody that I would seriously vote for to put into any sort of public office; AFAIC, I wouldn't trust this guy with a job of shoveling up elephant dung at the zoo.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I think this "Pastafarian", "Flying Spaghetti Monster" garbage is mean-spirited, adolescent childish nonsense in the extreme.

All it amounts to is a way for atheists to mock Christians and other people of faith for having that faith. Say what you will about people who have faith, at least that faith gives them some kind of a code, a moral guideline to live their lives by and govern their behavior. The best of the people of faith sincerely try to live their lives in a way that they believe is pleasing to God and hopefully in kindness and service to their fellow man.

Guys like this individual claiming that "Pastafarianism" is his religion have no religious code---they don't believe in a higher power; nothing about any of this has anything to do with worship of a deity or of service to humankind. All it amounts to is a sneering, sarcastic way of saying to religious people, "You believe in a bunch of stupid hogwash that doesn't exist, and it offends me; so I can do that, too: here, watch!"

I'd have more respect for people like this guy if they'd just drop all of the mockery and fake religion and come right out and say what they actually do believe in, whether anybody likes it or not. But no, instead we get a vaudeville show with the clown saying, "Look at me---aren't I funny and witty? Ha, ha, ha."

No, he's not funny. He's sophomoric, disrespectful, and certainly nobody that I would seriously vote for to put into any sort of public office; AFAIC, I wouldn't trust this guy with a job of shoveling up elephant dung at the zoo.

Early christians in ancient Rome frequently and openly mocked the religious beliefs of many many Romans. Ironic that maybe christianity should go out how it came in...with mockery.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If he didn't...do you think it would be a story you'd heard?

I don't want to hear about someone with a colandar on his head.

I want to hear about an atheist/Christian/Hindu/Bahai in office who does his job well and whose faith position (or absence of faith) has no bearing whatsoever on how he does his job in the public office.

Why does everything have to be a circus act?

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Early christians in ancient Rome frequently and openly mocked the religious beliefs of many many Romans. Ironic that maybe christianity should go out how it came in...with mockery.

It is clearly the pastafarian who is mocking in this situation.

If Christians were mocking in ancient Rome, they were idiots as well.

How freaking old are we? 12? Can't we make a point and live our lives without acting like children?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Christians mocked the Roman deities because they believed their God was the true God, and that the pagans should join their ranks.

"Pastafarians" have no faith to try to replace Christianity with; as I said before, this is simply a way to mock people who do have faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Christians mocked the Roman deities because they believed their God was the true God, and that the pagans should join their ranks.

"Pastafarians" have no faith to try to replace Christianity with; as I said before, this is simply a way to mock people who do have faith.

So mocking someone's beliefs is ok if you want them to share your faith?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is clearly the pastafarian who is mocking in this situation.

If Christians were mocking in ancient Rome, they were idiots as well.

How freaking old are we? 12? Can't we make a point and live our lives without acting like children?

Some people won't listen to reason. Some people have to be shown the absurdity of their beliefs.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Some people won't listen to reason. Some people have to be shown the absurdity of their beliefs.

And this guy failed to do either. He just turned up with items from his kitchen on his head.

It is hypocritical to applaud his efforts and yet mock others beliefs. He is being just as silly, just as obtuse, just as childish.

Why the ... are you defending such inanity?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟438,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And this guy failed to do either. He just turned up with items from his kitchen on his head.

It is hypocritical to applaud his efforts and yet mock others beliefs. He is being just as silly, just as obtuse, just as childish.

Why the ... are you defending such inanity?

Because it was brave. He forced the issue...something you can't always do with gentle words or sound arguments. He did it at the risk of losing face. He didn't go door to door and leave pamphlets...he did it in everyone's face.

I wouldn't expect everyone to get it, I doubt he did either.

Upvote 0
W

Wormdirt

That makes me think of someone to whom I listen regularly
"For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, and five days a week. " - Rush Limbaugh
It is rather gratifying to see a tactic Rush Limbaugh has employed so successfully for over 20 years now finally receiving the sanction it is due.

...made more gratifying by the fact that he doesn't have to do it with a colander on his head - because some people do listen to reason.

Upvote 0