CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟336,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone have a child that is obsessed with body parts ? Our 6 year old is and we don't know how to handle it. We've tried spanking and grounding
I don't understand punishing a child for being obsessed with their body parts. Usually I just tell them they can't do certain things in public or say nothing. I think the bigger deal you make of something, the more they do it. Or you can ask why you like that part so much, then talk to them about it. C used to have his hands in his underwear a lot. So I would just calmly put pants on him. He didn't understand to do things in private, since he was under 4 years old . Right now see like to say the word butt, since the word but is in his sight words. I just keep telling him it's not the behind word.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Little guys tend to be quite "hands on". Spanking and grounding him is a sure-fire way to make him ashamed of his body. Just redirect him, and/or tell him those things are done in private. All he knows is that it feels good, it's not like he's sexually obsessed or anything like that.

Its nothing to be ashamed of, and harsh punishment just makes the situation worse.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

^^agreed. I have two boys. We just reiterate that this is for private time in their rooms, in the bathroom, at the doctor, if we need to check or when they're married.
I don't advocate for corporal punishment at all, or grounding, especially for a child that hasn't reached the age of logic.

Natural consequence is that people will leave the area where he's playing. He'll be redirected and given something else to do once he's washed his hands.

If it kept up, I would want the doctor to check and make sure there's no infections or other issues... otherwise it sounds like it could be natural body curiosity.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Redirect. Take his hands and let him know that hands are not for hitting and he may not use his body that way.

By hitting him, logic dictates it's ok to hit some people. He won't be able to figure out who is ok to hit from that example.

A good starter would be this book series. If you need parenting tools, I have lots of resources that do not involve hitting children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FatherHaveMercy

Father Have Mercy On Us All
Feb 3, 2008
Indianapolis,IN,USA
Visit site
✟918.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Redirect. Take his hands and let him know that hands are not for hitting and he may not use his body that way.

By hitting him, logic dictates it's ok to hit some people. He won't be able to figure out who is ok to hit from that example.

A good starter would be this book series. If you need parenting tools, I have lots of resources that do not involve hitting children.

Thank you very good advice

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟70,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd grab his little hands - gently, but very firmly - if I see him about to hit, or having just hit, and I'd look him dead in the eye and say loudly "You do NOT hit people there!"

At 6 years old, he doesn't require a long, profound explanation. He needs to learn to obey his parents, period. He's old enough to understand that hitting hurts, and even if he's "playing" he can accidentally cause pain. More important though, is that he needs to learn to keep his hands OFF other peoples' private areas, or he is in for big, big trouble in years to come.

If spanking and grounding aren't working, try something else. Have you sat down with him, when you're both calm and relaxed, and asked him why he thinks it's OK to keep doing it? Maybe there's something going on beneath the surface that you don't know about. Maybe someone hit him or hurt him in that area. Maybe he's seen someone else doing it and wants to emulate to fit in. I doubt that he randomly became fixated on hitting people in the privates for NO reason. You need to find out what the reason is behind the behavior, and deal with it if you can.

Upvote 0