Papal Infallibility

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bereans didn't have the New Testament so they couldn't have possibly searched the scriptures to see if everything Paul taught was correct.

They were Jews and Paul taught that Jesus was the Messiah prophesied in their scripture so what they did was search the writings they already accepted to verify Paul's claim about the Messiah. Once they confirmed it, the bible does not say they continued searching to verify everything Paul said. Instead, they humbly submitted to Paul's authority just like Catholics submit to lawfully appointed bishops.

You might want to correct your first statement when you read Acts 17:11-13 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. 12 Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men. 13 But when the Jews from Thessalonica learned that the word of God was preached by Paul at Berea, they came there also and stirred up the crowds. And no where did I say they after they confirmed it that they keep searching, why would they, it was confirmed already. I have never even suggested that spoken doctrine have to be confirmed if those receiving it knew it was scripture. But according to maturity of the believer, many have to learn to make sure that what is preached is from scripture, because there are many who claim things that are not in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You might want to correct your first statement when you read Acts 17:11-13 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. 12 Therefore many of them believed, and also not a few of the Greeks, prominent women as well as men. 13 But when the Jews from Thessalonica learned that the word of God was preached by Paul at Berea, they came there also and stirred up the crowds. And no where did I say they after they confirmed it that they keep searching, why would they, it was confirmed already. I have never even suggested that spoken doctrine have to be confirmed if those receiving it knew it was scripture. But according to maturity of the believer, many have to learn to make sure that what is preached is from scripture, because there are many who claim things that are not in scripture.

Thanks for confirming that what I wrote was correct.

• Haha
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0