• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Pandemic!

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by TemperateSeaIsland, Jul 19, 2008.

1. TemperateSeaIsland

TemperateSeaIsland Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

+162
    Atheist
    Single
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,603
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I've not played that game for a while :D

3. pgp_protector

+15,603
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Hmm much different than the last version I played :D

4. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    Cool game

5. LewisWildermuth

LewisWildermuth Senior Veteran

+116
    Christian
    Single
    Argh, quit finding such cool things! I really need to finish a paper and study for a final, not get wrapped up in such geeky coolness! :D

6. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    I really like the consequences different actions can have.

In one, I played with a virus that was not very hard to detect. Madascar closed it's airport, hence eliminating the route to infect it. Since nobody was infected there, the game ended with human life restricted to that island.

Another game I played this evening had me making my virus a bit too deadly, so people were killed before they infected enough others.

Cool, cool, cool.

7. Logic_Fault

Logic_Fault Semper Ubi Sub Ubi Ubique

+66
    Atheist
    Single
    I actually just got done playing this a while ago. Odd that you should post this.:D

Didn't happen to see it over on the Kotaku blog, did ya?

Anyway, yes, it is a pretty cool little game. I ended up killing everyone except for Greenland (or was it Iceland?) and Madagascar. Didn't even get a single infection on either one of them...

May have to go try again for the fun of it.

8. pgp_protector

+15,603
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yea, you really got to get lucky at times to get the islands infected before they start shutting the airports / ports down.

9. Grengor

Grengor GrenAce

+50
    Deist
    US-Republican
    If i get madagascar, I don't get cuba. I get cuba, I don't get madagascar. It's an endless cycle, this.

10. Pwnzerfaust

Pwnzerfaust Pwning

+54
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Just finished a game in which I was a virus that wiped out everything except Madagascar and New Zealand.

I made my virus pretty much benign to start with. Just had fevers as a symptom. Then I got the moisture resistance up to two, and then made it waterborne, so it could infect water systems. I then got the heat/cold/moisture/drug resistance up to 4 as fast as possible, so it could spread everywhere quickly. Within a few days, it was all over the world. Then I started making it lethal, and the rest is history. 23.7 million survivors.

11. Morcova

Morcova Well-Known Member

+484
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Libertarian
    lol

Pandemic comes to CF!

From what i've heard from people who've beaten the game, at the start of the game, sell off your symptom, then get all of the ways to spread it, then get i think up to lvl 2 or 3 of the resistances..... then once everything everywhere is infected........ kill em all.

12. Pwnzerfaust

Pwnzerfaust Pwning

+54
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yeah, that's what I was going for. My only symptom was fever, which is barely noticeable.

13. Patashu

Patashu Veteran

+62
    Agnostic
    Single
    I think the biggest flaw with the game is the fact that evolving your disease causes every instance of it to immediately change, while in reality the new strain would appear somewhere and grow/compete alongside the old. This fact allows you to do things like make a nigh-impossible-to-detect disease, and once it's spread to every country kick in all the killer symptoms, which appear everywhere at once.

14. Pete Harcoff

Pete Harcoff PeteAce - In memory of WinAce

+64
    Other Religion
    I agree. The game is kinda cool at first, but the mechanics only lend itself to that one strategy for victory.