Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was looking at a church bulletin. One of its priests provided a Lenten checklist and although it contains a wealth of advice on how to improve yourself spiritually, it's just so overwhelming when I look at it. I feel like I can't even do 10% of what he's recommending.

Well, all I will say is "wow" I think you know my stance on all this.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, all I will say is "wow" I think you know my stance on all this.
I understand where you're coming from; thankfully (I hope I'm wrong) this isn't a laundry list of what you need to do to be saved, but it indisputably puts a burden on my psyche. I don't mind if it's a guideline to live a good life, but even for a single person who doesn't have the responsibilities of a family, there are only so many hours in a day, or days in a week.

• Prayers
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was looking at a church bulletin. One of its priests provided a Lenten checklist and although it contains a wealth of advice on how to improve yourself spiritually, it's just so overwhelming when I look at it. I feel like I can't even do 10% of what he's recommending.

One more illustration of poor advice in this broken culture. I apologize, on behalf of the Church. I know I have no "authority" to apologize on behalf of any one, but I believe I can anyway, and I do. We are to be "one Body" after all.
That list of advices and check-boxes exhausted me, and it was a struggle to get through it. The priest could use this list as a penance for any confessing to him: "Just read my paper on the hand-out at the door." (That was a poor attempt at a not-so-funny joke, i know.)

Seriously, my comment is this concerning the many many short-cut suggestions from the pulpit on the theme, "Suggestions for Lent":

Psalm 51, from USCCB website:

Ps 51:3
Have mercy on me, God, in accord with your merciful love;
in your abundant compassion blot out my transgressions.
Thoroughly wash away my guilt;
and from my sin cleanse me.
For I know my transgressions;
my sin is always before me.
Against you, you alone have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your eyes
So that you are just in your word,
and without reproach in your judgment.
Behold, I was born in guilt,
in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, you desire true sincerity;
and secretly you teach me wisdom.
Cleanse me with hyssop, that I may be pure;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
You will let me hear gladness and joy;
the bones you have crushed will rejoice.
Turn away your face from my sins;
blot out all my iniquities.
A clean heart create for me, God;
renew within me a steadfast spirit.
Do not drive me from before your face,
nor take from me your holy spirit.
Restore to me the gladness of your salvation;
uphold me with a willing spirit.
I will teach the wicked your ways,
that sinners may return to you.
Rescue me from violent bloodshed, God, my saving God,
and my tongue will sing joyfully of your justice.
Lord, you will open my lips;
and my mouth will proclaim your praise.
For you do not desire sacrifice or I would give it;
a burnt offering you would not accept.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a contrite, humbled heart, O God, you will not scorn.
Treat Zion kindly according to your good will;
build up the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will desire the sacrifices of the just,
burnt offering and whole offerings;
then they will offer up young bulls on your altar.

Amen.
[Repeat until you hear and understand this prayer, and are on your knees sobbing for your sins and the sins of Zion, His Holy Church, in Jerusalem and in the Vatican and churches throughout the world.]

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The priest could use this list as a penance for any confessing to him: "Just read my paper on the hand-out at the door." (That was a poor attempt at a not-so-funny joke, i know.)
To be honest, I think that shouldn't be a joke. That IS a pretty good penance - if you confess to something really terrible lol.

I'm glad someone else felt the same as me. I thought I was losing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a former Protestant, I can see the benefits of some practices in the checklist, but it also seems to me to border on legalism.

I can imagine turning up at the Pearly Gates, only to be asked by St. Peter "Where's your checklist!?"

It reminds me of a weak joke I cracked some time ago. I'd been doing a bit of data entry at the church office (not something I do very often). As I walked down the corridor for a break, the priest said to me "When the (canonised) saints get up to heaven, what do you think they do up there?" (or words to that effect). I assume he and other office staff had been discussing a few miscellaneous items.

Considering the boring data entry I'd just been doing, I cracked "They get shown to a desk overflowing with divine paperwork, and then they do data entry!":scratch:

Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are in the Catholic forum. This is not a check off list. The boxes are for things you feel led to do. Lots of parishes do this because after giving up chocolate or whatever, many are at a loss as to what to do. It is a suggestion list. Nowhere does it state that each one of these things are to be done. It is to serve as inspiration. It’s meant to be helpful. Not a laundry list.
The point of my alternate suggestion - Psalm 51, read/prayed until when, by God essential grace it is heard - is this: we are among the worst judges of what we need. "Self-help" in matters of the soul can serve well the evil one, a technique he uses to keep us at a "safe" distance from God. God the Holy Spirit Himself, direct and immediate - the Counselor - is the one essential judge of the needs of a human soul:
Jn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
Jn 16:8 And when he comes, he will convince [note: or convict] the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:
Jn 16:9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;
Jn 16:10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more;
Jn 16:11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
He probes, and knows the spirit of the inner man: the sins rooted in disbelief, the unrighteous rooted in a distancing from God, remorse and conviction rooted in perceiving the ruler of this world judged within us. The Word of God, Holy Scripture, can enable such encounter with Truth leading to repentance.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think those are just some suggestions.

Pick what is most beneficial to you.

I am praying for the dead, doing a daily Rosary and DMC this Lenten season. On top of regular Mass attendance and weekly confession.

(On a side note, I did a general confession about 5 years ago to a Benedictine Monk-priest. Took me about 20 minutes. I do not recommend it if you are over scrupulous. Trust in the immense mercy of God).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A checklist full of good ideas ...

If it were me, I would choose one or two (or ?) ... and do them, in love.
I would do them, in a heartfelt way, from the heart.

Even a single Our Father, a single decade of the rosary, a single (?) ... is meaningful, when it comes from the heart.

God wants for us to love Him.
I heard Fr. John Ricardo once say: "Prayer isn't prayer if it doesn't come from the heart."

What matters is faith expressing itself through love ...

Upvote 0