Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having a healthy perception of our situation is recognizing that although things may not be going the way we want, God is in control.

Scripture is replete with messages to shore up our strength through faith in God. It’s God’s blueprint for us, according to an EWTN priest, a Catholic psychiatrist, and a Catholic life coach who shared their perspectives with the Register on how to not just survive, but to thrive, during these times.

When people approach Jesuit Father Mitch Pacwa, an author and EWTN radio and TV host, about feeling overwhelmed by the world, he recalls the advice his mother gave him, “Stop whining or I’ll give you something to whine about.”

Father Pacwa explained, “The key starting point is to stop whining or you will never be able to focus on what Our Lord is asking you to do.” The first step, he said, is to analyze what is making you feel overwhelmed so that you can take the proper steps. “For instance,” he said, “if the meaning of life is alluding you, you need prayer. If it’s your kids — a lot of times it is people dealing with their kids being stupid — listen to them, but don’t try to fix their problems for them. If your kids are on drugs, that’s a different situation. In that case, educate yourself and join Alanon to learn how to cope and how the abuse affects them.”

Regarding the culture, Father Pacwa pointed out that getting upset or stunned into inactivity prevents us from discerning God’s plan for us. He provided examples in his own life. “I’m well aware of how little people know the faith, so I teach it on television and in college classes — instead of just lamenting that they don’t know the Bible or the Ten Commandments. I take opportunities placed before me.”

Continued below.

Reactions: mourningdove~