Overcoming temptation. Is it truly possible every time?

G

gideons300

I wanted to share a bit on temptation and pray it might help someone who struggles with a specific sin.

First, temptation is NOT sin. When the thought originates in your head, it generally comes not from you at all, but from satan. Do NOT buy ownership in it for if you do, you will most likely fall.

Secondly, despite what our modern gospel teaches, we are called to be victorious, to overcome temptation EVERY time. We are told to "count it all joy" when we fall into diverse temptations. How in the world can we do this if we do not believe it possible to not fall to it? Let us plant our feet and speak out the words of faith in God's keeping power.

"He is able to keep me from falling. He WILL keep me from falling!"

So how are we to resist, for this is the place that we often fall into error? There are two ways to resist the devil. One is by sheer determination, where we grit our teeth, use self discipline and self control to keep from giving into to the things we are tempted to do. The other is for God to do it in us, for us, for Him to keep us from falling by the power of God.

These two can be well illustrated in a story of Jason in greek mythology. He and his men had to sail past the sirens, beautiful women in the water who would sing so seductively that men would cast themselves into the sea to get to them and then drown.

As they approached the area, Jason bound all his men and then himself to the mast with strong ropes, and although they did wanted to jump, the ropes held them back and they were kept safe.

On the return voyage, Jason had an idea. He got the best musician on the ship to play the lyre, and he played it so skillfully that as they sailed past, the beauty of the music was more enticing then the sirens' voices and they again sailed past safe. No ropes. Freedom of will, they never were made "robots" and yet they still had the victory, a far better and more powerful one.

It is a good thing to avoid falling for sure, but God's higher way is that we have a new heart on the matter, Him in us doing the resisting, for that is true freedom. That is our calling, our heritage as children of God.

We are, as we reckon ourselves new creatures, freed from the power that sin has over us. Why? Because we are not the same old person with a fallen nature, and God has truly made us new.

This is a fact for you and I right now, but you might ask "Why hasn't it worked yet? Why do I still fall?" The reason is simple. God wants us to believe like Abraham did. He wants faith on our part in what He has clearly promsied us. It will not profit us until we grab hold and claim the victory as our possession- now.

We think the only thing that we need to believe is that Jesus died for our sins and rose the third day, and then it is simply time to get to work and become a good Christian. As wonderful as forgiveness is, it is just the beginning of the faith walk God has for each of us. We are called to have exceeding growing faith, to fight the good fight of faith. Christ is to dwell in our hearts, abide, by faith. This is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. Praise God!

Do you see? Believing the completed truths that we are new creatures, that satan has no more hold on us, that we are NOW light in the Lord, that sin shall NOT have dominion over us, that our shield of faith will quench ALL the fiery arrows satan casts at us, are just as hard for us to believe, no, moreso than believing Jesus came out of the grave, because they involve US.

But praise God, that is what God wants.... a people who will have the audacity to believe Him, all His promises, for these are the stepping stones to experiencing Christ's victory.

May I humbly suggest starting in Romans 6, where Paul tells us things we must KNOW of we are to believe. Romans 7 is telling us the failure of a life whereby we try to do it by law, with great self control and discipline, and the inevitable failure that comes from it. And He ends it crying out for a deliverer for he now knows he does not have the strength himself. The law has finally finished its job, to break us of all confindence in ourselves and our discipline, and to fall down beofre the Lord for Him to do in us what we cannot do.

And praise God, we have that deliverer....Christ in us, the hope of glory. Our God has given us the victory of Romans 8 and it is when we finally believe His promises to us that we can walk in God's amazing overcoming power.

All these truths are wonderful, and God tells us to be bold and to incorporate them into our shield of faith. And what is the result He promises us? Is it not that our shield of faith will totally stop satan in his tracks- all the arrows, every time.

Our minds rebel at the possibilities. Yes, we are weak. Let us finally establish just how weak we really are! NOw, let us look away from ourselves and look unto Jesus and how strong He is. He said He will keep us from falling. Shall we remain in unbelief that has crippled us our entire Christian walks or shall we finally climb out of the boat of unbelief, believe in the mighty power of our God who longs to have us let HIM be the potter, the builder of our house, and walk on the water to Jesus, with overcoming victory in our life?

Be blessed.

Bruce

G

gideons300

I have a question for everyone:

Do you know a single person in the world today who is perfectly sinless and never sins?
May I say that you are looking in the wrong direction? Let us get one thing perfectly understood. We are weak. We cannot "arrive" somehow to a place where we do not sin. Let that be forever settled.

Now, with that understood, what did out Lord Himself tell us through His word?

He said that if we walk in the spirit, that we will NOT fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

He told us through Paul that sin shall not have dominion over us.

He told us through Peter in his first sermon that jesus came to bless us in turning every man away from his iniquity.

He told us that if we continued in His word, He would set us "free indeed".

He told us that He came tosave us from our sins, not in them.

He told us that our shield of faith would quech all the fiery arrows of the wicked one.

He told us that God would not allow us to be tempted above that which we are able to bear, but will make, in every temptation, make a way of escape that we might be able to bear it.

Now, with our eyes off our weakness and inabilities, it is my prayer that we get our eyes firmly fixed on His ABILITIES to keep us from falling.

When the new covenant was promised in Ezekiel 36, God said that He would give us new hearts and write his laws there, and cause us to walk in obedience. (vs 27)

He finished by saying this.

"I shall yet be inquired of by the house of Israel to do it for them."

Ezek. 36:37

How we in the church need to hear this and respond with cries of shame that He free us from the power of the enemy. Brother, I pray we never rest content with our failures as we cry out "grace, grace!" as if somehow this "humilty" brings glory to God. What brings glory to God is when we can stare the world in the eyes and tell them "Grace set me free. It will set you free as well."

I pray we re-discover the promises of God and become like Abraham who believed without wavering that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. I pray we re-discover that grace does not end at forgiveness, but is the very power that makes us holy as we by faith cloth ourselves with the new nature and reckon ourselves dead to sin.

Many blessings, brother

Bruce

Upvote 0

OKC08GT500

Prodigal Son
Feb 24, 2011
Oklahoma
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
gideons300:

I recently discovered this forum and have found your posts to be very inspiring. I was saved on March 14, 2010 at the age of 62. One of the reasons that God led me to retire early was to give up the distractions of the world and spend much of my time studying His Word so that I could overcome the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and pride of the heart so that I could devote my time, treasure and talents for the glory of God. Thank you again for expressing your faith so eloquently.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Peter 2:9
9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
KJV

1 Corinthians 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
KJV
sounds like to me we can resist every temptation!!

Upvote 0

ecclesasties

Jun 30, 2010
✟8,017.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Do you know a single person in the world today who is perfectly sinless and never sins?

If they were perfectly sinless wouldn't that mean that they never sin?
:confused:

As to the OP, God has promised that He will never put on us what we can't handle and also that He will NOT TEMPT us with sinful things. The devil, of course, uses all his weapons to tempt us just as he did Jesus, BUT if we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, He will give us the strength to overcome. That being said, yes, Christians do on occasion slip, give in, sin, whatever you want to call it..........THE DIFFERENCE IS......Christian's do not live IN SIN! We aren't perfect, God knows that, all He wants us to do is strive to be like Him. To love Him and to love others as He loves us.

IMO.................

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

Learning to apply the verse in James 1:12-15, and the Paul's advice from the Lord in Romans about learning to walk in the Spirit, is all a faith journey. Will we make mistakes? Yes. Do we strive to do what these verses tell us? Yes. As we get farther in our faith and into deeper understanding of the love of God, we can actually overcome a greater percentage of temptation.

But look at Ephesians 5:3, and then read 5:4. The things in 5:4 are filthiness, foolish talking, and jesting. Look at Galations 5:19. Now read 5:20 and 21. 20 & 21 talk about hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, drunkenness, and revelings, among other well known sins of temptations like adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry... The Lord puts variance in the same category as fornication.

Since we are "safe" and hid with Christ, when we fall into what we might consider the lesser sins, which really aren't, like variance, or what we may consider the big no no like adultery or fornication, He can and will draw us out as we cry out from desperation and He will save us. Although the wrath of God abides on those who do those things without a repentant heart because they have never had a relationship with Jesus.

But my main point is that although it may be easier to say I need to apply the fact that I don't have to sin anymore (Romans, James, etc..) those "sins which seem grossly sinful," we often overlook the "lesser" sins (though they aren't really lesser) and don't apply the same principles of walking in the Spirit and knowing in every temptation there is an escape made by God for them also. So is the faith journey. We eventually, by God's grace and discipline, change from glory to glory into Christ's image.

So for the original question, overcoming temptation - is it truly possible every time? I know it is possible everytime. Each and everytime. But are we as God's children ready for this possibility each and every time? Probably not, or else Christians would have no sin in their life. There would be no need for His atoning blood. What a gross err in truth if we don't believe I John 1:8 : If we say we that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

now why would you want to come in here with some kind of question like this/??? just trying to trip someone up, now are we??? all have come short BUt through Christ we take on the likeness of Christ, the Bible dscribes several that were perfect, if they can be, then we can have some today that are perfect also. now that is not saying that someone other than Jesus Christ has never sin!!!!

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well, I think that the people who sin continually and yet have Jesus in their heart never really wanted to repent in the first place. they were just fooled by God into thinking they wanted to stop sinning so that they would burn in a hotter and longer hell then the people who simply deny Jesus all their lives like their meant to do becuase they don't want to stop being evil. Bottom line: those who wanted to stop being evil or never loved it in the first place will enter heaven, and those who loved evil and would continue to love evil forever are going to hell.

does anybody have any thoughts about any of this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ecclesasties

Jun 30, 2010
✟8,017.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well, I think that the people who sin continually and yet have Jesus in their heart never really wanted to repent in the first place. they were just fooled by God into thinking they wanted to stop sinning so that they would burn in a hotter and longer hell then the people who simply deny Jesus all their lives like their meant to do becuase they don't want to stop being evil. Bottom line: those who wanted to stop being evil or never loved it in the first place will enter heaven, and those who loved evil and would continue to love evil forever are going to hell.

does anybody have any thoughts about any of this?

I'm not sure I even understand it, but I guess my two cents would be: People who sin continually don't have Jesus in their hearts..........sooooooooooo

as for God "fooling" anyone, that JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN IMO.....sorry..........

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

Christoff

Why would an ever loving creator "fool" anyone? Thats what Satan does. God loves everyone and every creature on Earth. God does answer prayers to help us resist temptation, because to ask for help indicates a deep desire to resist that which could condemn.

I know because I was a slave to temptation (perhaps still am) But am finding it far easier now than before. Although It is still difficult and uncomfortable I can stop myself now. Its a learning curve, and temptation is like a thief who sneaks up on you, and you always have to be wary in case he catches up with you and tries to steal YOU from God, finding safety in God, is like sticking by your father because the world is a dangerous place, and you know he will keep you safe.

I want to glorify God, and live a better life as a result. Its exciting, and scary, but I find peace in God and Jesus.

god bless you all.

Upvote 0