Our relation to the Trinity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout scripture we are taught that God is our Heavenly Father. We are even taught to pray, starting with Heavenly Father and ending in Jesus' Holy name. Now Jesus is the Son of God but also states that we are all children of God. So does that make Christ our Heavenly Brother or since He is in essence, the Word of God, our Heavenly Father also? Or do we just refer to Him as our Lord and Saviour, King of all Creation?

On the same note, what does this make the Holy Spirit? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

God Bless,
Ron

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
RonC2 said:
Throughout scripture we are taught that God is our Heavenly Father. We are even taught to pray, starting with Heavenly Father and ending in Jesus' Holy name. Now Jesus is the Son of God but also states that we are all children of God. So does that make Christ our Heavenly Brother

Yes, He is our Brother as we have the same Father.

or since He is in essence, the Word of God, our Heavenly Father also?

He is God, but He is not God the Father.

Or do we just refer to Him as our Lord and Saviour, King of all Creation?

Just?

On the same note, what does this make the Holy Spirit? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Holy Spirit is God as well.

Upvote 0
I do believe there are a number of equally valid ways of describing our relationship to Christ, but I had not given this one (bro) thot for some time. In Hebrews 2 Jesus is linked to us by the term "family" and it states "So Jesus is not ashamed to call them bros" (Heb.2:11). My favorite expression is yet another: while we confess Jesus as Lord, yet shortly before His death He told his disciples (and by extension all of us), "you are my friends" and " I have called you friends"(Jn.15:14,15). That word from Christ to a poor sinner like me is moving, mysterious and hilariously wonderful! Al

Upvote 0
We are caught up into the divine life of the Holy Trinity. Through Jesus Christ we are adopted as children of God (the Father) in the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus, as the Word, is the only-begotten Son of God. He is God's natural son, but we become sons and daughters of God through adoption and grace. The Holy Spirit is the Love between the Father and the Son, and hence also the energizing love for the members of the Son's body. The Spirit enables us to lead the new life of grace. God's favorable action towards us is from the Father, through the Son, in the Holy Spirit. Our response to God is to the Father, through the Son, in the Holy Spirit.

In Trinitarian terminology, "the Father" is the Person of the Trinity who is the Source of the other Two, the Fount of Deity. (But this does not mean that the other Two had a beginning in time.) Jesus, as our life-giver, is also like a father, but not "the Father." Also, Jesus, because he became incarnate and assumed human nature, is our brother.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I dont think you people are understanding this correctly, the Bible says that Jesus, God, and The Holy Spirit are one in the same. They are all the same just in different thoughts of mind to allow people to understand their being and comprehend what they are.

Zaq

I would be one of those who don’t understand, do you have some scripture that would substantiate that.
I have spent considerable time working the Word in this area and I truly see nothing in the Word that validates the term trinity.
What I do see is God {Jehovah} our heavenly Father, creator of the universe, referred to as the Holy Spirit (capitol H & S}

His only begotten son Jesus Christ our savior born in Bethlehem of Judah who was given to be “head over all to the Church” {the one body}

And holy spirit the gift {small h & s} that which was lost by Adam; upon {not in} some in the Old Testament; and in {not upon} those born again, since the day of Pentecost.

The reason I make the distinction between capitol and small is because, in the English language we make the distinction between the giver {God} and the {gift} holy spirit when we read. God is Holy and God is Spirit what He gave on Pentecost was the gift of holy spirit.
Because the definite article has been added in many cases when translations were made from Greek, and imported into English, it has added much confusion to the reader in distinguishing between the Giver {God} and what he gave on the day of Pentecost {His gift, holy spirit}
The true use of the definite article, and context, will leave little doubt in the reader’s mind as to the exact meaning to be given to the word.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry Phillip
I just went and checked out rule # 6.
I have never considered myself anything but a Christian so I was somewhat taken back by the requirement of adhering to something that I considered more of a Roman Catholic Creed.
Like most men I did not look at the directions {rules} first before posting.
Thanks for pointing that out, and again I apologize.

God Bless
sandman

Upvote 0
Phillip,

If adherence to the Nicene Creed is required for posting to this message board, then the policy must apply to those who espouse a "modalist" Christology as well as Arians. Those of you who know church history know what I'm talking about. I'm tired of seeing modalism tacitly tolerated while the opposite position is roundly condemned, as modalism is a distortion of Christianity. Personally, if someone privately holds either view I consider them to be misguided, but I would not forbid someone to post unless they belonged to a denomination which officially held a heretical position. But I would like to see consistency in the way these views are treated.

Ainsley

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ainsley said:
If adherence to the Nicene Creed is required for posting to this message board, then the policy must apply to those who espouse a "modalist" Christology as well as Arians.

It does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Phillip

Sorry to interrupt again, but I wanted to clarify something from your previous post.
If in fact I do adhere to the Apostles Creed as you stated it. Will that allow me the privileges
to post on the “Christian Only” Forums?

God Bless
sandman

Upvote 0

Philip

Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sandman,

It is my understanding that those unorthodox Christians (for lack of a better term) are permitted in CO forums so long as they do not advicate positions contrary to the classical creeds. I will check with the admins concerning this.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
It is my understanding that those unorthodox Christians (for lack of a better term) are permitted in CO forums so long as they do not advicate positions contrary to the classical creeds. I will check with the admins concerning this.

Thanks Phillip
I will abide by that rule in the C.O. forums.
Should admin. decide differently, let me know and I will quit posting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.