Atlanta
✟15,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If those of us who put our faith in Jesus go to heaven after we die, and experience God in his fullness, why do we need to be resurrected from the dead? What is the point of our own resurrection if we do not need it in order to be with Jesus forever? Is not the whole point of resurrecting anything is that it was dead and is now alive directly because of the resurrection.
If something or someone is dead you cannot experience them on any level. They are only a memory. They are dead. They absolutely need to be resurrected. There is no other way for them to be alive and to be experienced by anyone until they alive again.

I thought the point of the resurrection was to give us eternal life with Jesus. However, if you claim that when we die we are immediately in the presence of the Lord, then why should we care about our own resurrection? Why would we need to be resurrected from the dead if we already have eternal life and am alive with God? Jesus, Paul, and Peter all talk about our own resurrection. It seems to me that if they talked about that much, that it might be important. However, I cannot seem to see how our resurrection could be of much importance considering that we would not need it to be with Jesus. From this viewpoint I cannot think of any meaningful reason other than we will have a physical body. This to seems kinda pointless. When I am with Jesus I will not care if I have a body or not. What I will be most happy about is that I am with the Lord. Do you find our own resurrection meaningless? What is the point of the resurrection of the dead if not to bring the dead into the presence of God?

Reactions: TedT

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Resurrection is more than just having a perfect body. It means knowing all things, worshiping God forever, singing with the angels, seeing people you never knew and talking with them, and lots more.
Seeing the most beautiful landscape you've ever seen, and being able to paint that scene perfectly.
And that's just the beginning!
Having front row seats to listen to Peter tell about what it was like to be Jesus' disciple, and the list goes on literally forever!

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

DylanBoyle789

Mar 23, 2022
Atlanta
✟15,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those who are here when the Lord comes again will not rise from the grave.
Yes that is exactly my point! They do not need to be resurrected because they are already alive. You cannot resurrect someone who is not dead. That is my question. How or why would God resurrect us if when we die we immediately go to heaven. It makes more sense to me that we are dead and do not go to heaven immediately, but instead we stay dead until our resurrection.

Upvote 0

DylanBoyle789

Mar 23, 2022
Atlanta
✟15,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Resurrection is more than just having a perfect body. It means knowing all things, worshiping God forever, singing with the angels, seeing people you never knew and talking with them, and lots more.
Seeing the most beautiful landscape you've ever seen, and being able to paint that scene perfectly.
Having front row seats to listen to Peter tell about what it was like to be Jesus' disciple, and the list goes on literally forever!
Yeah but whenever someone dies and goes to heaven don't they get all that stuff with out a resurrected body? That's why I'm confused.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I don't think our glorified bodies will be like our current physical bodies. The same word used to describe the bodies of angels (oiketerion) is used to describe our new bodies. It appears only twice in scripture and is translated as habitation & house:

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Jude 1:6

For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: 2 Corinthians 5:2

Upvote 0

DylanBoyle789

Mar 23, 2022
Atlanta
✟15,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Father resurrected Jesus bodily.

That was His plan.

That is His plan for us.

The New Creation is both physical and spiritual.
Can you explain how a person who is not dead can be resurrected? That is what is confusing me.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If those of us who put our faith in Jesus go to heaven after we die, and experience God in his fullness, why do we need to be resurrected from the dead?
For the fullness of life, that includes physical.

The resurrected body of Jesus was so much more than his pre-resurrection physical body..

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain how a person who is not dead can be resurrected? That is what is confusing me.

Are you suggesting that folks are resurrected before death ??

The only example of that I can think of is the 'Rapture' but in that case there is no death like was the case with enoch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If those of us who put our faith in Jesus go to heaven after we die, and experience God in his fullness, why do we need to be resurrected from the dead? What is the point of our own resurrection if we do not need it in order to be with Jesus forever? Is not the whole point of resurrecting anything is that it was dead and is now alive directly because of the resurrection.
If something or someone is dead you cannot experience them on any level. They are only a memory. They are dead. They absolutely need to be resurrected. There is no other way for them to be alive and to be experienced by anyone until they alive again.

I thought the point of the resurrection was to give us eternal life with Jesus. However, if you claim that when we die we are immediately in the presence of the Lord, then why should we care about our own resurrection? Why would we need to be resurrected from the dead if we already have eternal life and am alive with God? Jesus, Paul, and Peter all talk about our own resurrection. It seems to me that if they talked about that much, that it might be important. However, I cannot seem to see how our resurrection could be of much importance considering that we would not need it to be with Jesus. From this viewpoint I cannot think of any meaningful reason other than we will have a physical body. This to seems kinda pointless. When I am with Jesus I will not care if I have a body or not. What I will be most happy about is that I am with the Lord. Do you find our own resurrection meaningless? What is the point of the resurrection of the dead if not to bring the dead into the presence of God?
Ok we are spirit and body, right?
When we die our spirit goes to God.
But at the final judgment:

"For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus."

"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first."

"and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment."

I think the reason this is confusing is because we are considered resurrected already in a sense:

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God."

But we have not yet been bodily Resurrected.

Jesus tomb is empty, he didn't get a new body, he got his old one back in it's glorified form...same thing for us, I think.

I'm not going to be too dogmatic about how it all works.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If those of us who put our faith in Jesus go to heaven after we die, and experience God in his fullness, why do we need to be resurrected from the dead? What is the point of our own resurrection if we do not need it in order to be with Jesus forever?
Because between our physical death and resurrection, our spirits are not complete human beings,
they are unclothed without their bodies, which is an unnatural state to them, and they long to be clothed in them again.
Being with Jesus is not our perfection if it is not with our bodies.
Is not the whole point of resurrecting anything is that it was dead and is now alive directly because of the resurrection.
Right, our body is dead and our spirit cannot inhabit it again, so that our spirit may be a complete human being.
The living body of the resurrection is needed for that completeness of our spirit.
If something or someone is dead you cannot experience them on any level.
It's not about humans experiencing the dead.

Only the body of the human being dies (Jesus showed
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are still living; Moses and Elijah were talking with Jesus at his transfiguration
), its spirit does not die, it departs to be with God, but with him in an incomplete state, which only the resurrection can restore to completeness.
They are only a memory. They are dead. They absolutely need to be resurrected. There is no other way for them to be alive and to be experienced by anyone until they alive again.
Their bodies are not experienced by anyone, but their spirits are "experienced" by God.
I thought the point of the resurrection was to give us eternal life with Jesus. However, if you claim that when we die we are immediately in the presence of the Lord, then why should we care about our own resurrection? Why would we need to be resurrected from the dead if we already have eternal life and am alive with God? Jesus, Paul, and Peter all talk about our own resurrection. It seems to me that if they talked about that much, that it might be important. However,
I cannot seem to see how our resurrection could be of much importance considering that we would not need it to be with Jesus. From this viewpoint I cannot think of any meaningful reason other than we will have a physical body. This to seems kinda pointless.
When I am with Jesus I will not care if I have a body or not.
Not according to the NT, where the spirit groans (2 Corinthians 5:4) at the thought of being "unclothed" at its body's death, because it wishes to be clothed with its heavenly dwelling (its glorified body).
Although we are with Jesus, we are not yet complete nor perfect until our spirits inhabit their glorified bodies, just as Jesus inhabits his glorified body.
What I will be most happy about is that I am with the Lord. Do you find our own resurrection meaningless? What is the point of the resurrection of the dead if not to bring the dead into the presence of God?
The point of the resurrection is to restore us to complete human beings, for we cannot be perfect without our physical spiritual (immortal, sinless, glorious) bodies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorn
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah but whenever someone dies and goes to heaven don't they get all that stuff with out a resurrected body? That's why I'm confused.
No. Everyone has to die to themselves eventually, because the human body is corrupted by sin, and has to change to an incorruptible body. Only Jesus' death for us makes that possible. Otherwise, our sin would come between us and God, who cannot look on sin.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes that is exactly my point! They do not need to be resurrected because they are already alive. You cannot resurrect someone who is not dead. That is my question. How or why would God resurrect us if when we die we immediately go to heaven. It makes more sense to me that we are dead and do not go to heaven immediately, but instead we stay dead until our resurrection.
how does it make a difference to us?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

There are two resurrections, don't get them confused. We are made alive spiritually the moment we are born again. However, our bodies are mortal and need to be replaced. God did not intend for us to die. His great salvation includes a new body that cannot die, get old or sick or be in any way defective.

We need to remember that Adam was made in God's image. Lord Jesus is the visible form of the invisible God. When we see Jesus, we will be like Him. What does that mean? We are already born again, partakers of the divine nature. We are already complete in Christ. We are new creations in Him. So what remains to be transformed? Our mortal bodies!

If we have no body, then we will not be like Jesus. 1 Corinthians 15 goes into this subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It's hard to hug people without a body.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Corinthians had the same concern. Here is Paul's rebuke.

1 Corinthians 15
12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"It means knowing all things" No, it does not. Only God knows all things, In the new heavens and earth there will be much to learn and occupy ourselves with throughout eternity. Its highly likely that the universe that exists is not even 1% of Gods creative ability and that will be shown in in the new havens & earth. There will be plenty to learn and do, including getting to know everyone else which will take a long time.
Also our spirits / souls may well not be able to interact with the world to come, hence we will need the new bodies. I like to think of it that when we die our spirits go to a large area reserved in heaven for us where we can be with Christ but there will be a majority of heaven that is not accessible to us until we have our resurrection bodies.

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm enjoying this discussion, not having thought of your question before!! :)

When this reality is cleansed to become the heavenly reality I think the physical universe will be our playground. Maybe our resurrection is to give us a physical body different from our spirit body with which we can explore the vast universe, all the amazing physical things HE has created...which if not for us then is it wasted extravagance??

Upvote 0