Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The literal translation of “Notre Dame” is “Our Lady.” On April 15, 2019, the whole world wept along with Our Lady as we watched, with horror, the unthinkable, calamitous destruction of the great shrine to our heavenly Mother.

I traveled 5,000 miles to Paris to see in person what remains of the ancient wonder we call the Cathedral of Notre Dame. I found the cathedral “weeping” on a cold, rainy day, as if still suffering from the unbearable wounds inflicted by the tragic fire that consumed the structure on that terrible spring day. The blaze was so devastating — and yet the glorious church still stands, unyielding and unbowed. Through the cold rain, I could see the proud outline of the façade, rising in hopeful tribute to the faith of the medieval artists and craftsmen who began construction in the year 1163 — and the faith of today’s artists and craftsmen who are rebuilding this beautiful church.

Notre Dame has stood for centuries as “a symbol of an enduring church and God’s enduring presence,” in the words of David French. Cathedrals are symbols. The majestic edifices were community efforts, erected as testaments to faith.

Continued below.