• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

OT vs NT?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Droobie, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    Do any of the Old Testament laws apply today in our lives?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    depends on what you mean by apply ;)

3. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    Do some laws of the OT apply today, or do none of them apply to us today? Apply, as in should we follow them?

4. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    required? No..should we, I would say yes to some :)

5. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Am I ruining your thread? ;)

6. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    No... that's what a forum's all about...

So yes to some, no to others...

7. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yup, some you follow anyway, they are ment to be good hygene, etc...other are not required but I think you get a blessing from following them..such as sabbath.

8. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    Okay... here's where it gets tricky... how do you know which ones to follow, and which ones to 'ignore'?

9. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    well you can "ignore"...I dont like that term..all of them if you want. Christ himself said all the law and the prophets..etc..hang on one commandment..love God, love others.

10. PrinceJeff

PrinceJeff Well-Known Member

+0
    I believe things like the hygiene laws and the verses against sexual immorality, although today we don't obviously stone people to death as Christians. I also believe fully against the use of any spiritist, medium, etcetera. :cool:

11. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    So what would you say to those who would twist this to justify what they do/belive to mean old OT laws no longer apply today, and that if you do apply them, you have to apply all the laws.

12. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    >>Do any of the Old Testament laws apply today in our lives?

They all apply to us today, as a shaddow and a type to point us to Jesus. We should follow them all as they lead us back to God. But our old nature is not able to. When we are born again, we take on a new nature and it becomes natural, to follow all of the laws of God. Thanks,JohnR7

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

13. PrinceJeff

PrinceJeff Well-Known Member

+0
    In the Mosaic law it says we are to stone people to death for certain sins. We obviously don't do this today do we?

14. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    >>Christ himself said all the law and the prophets..etc..hang on one commandment..love God, love others.

We are to love ourself also. If you love God, love your neighbor and love yourself, then you are following or keeping all of the commandments of God.

15. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    >>In the Mosaic law it says we are to stone people to death for certain sins. We obviously don't do this today do we?

How do you kill somebody that is already dead in trespas and sin? Jesus came to give us life and that we may have it more abundantly. It is through the law that we know that people are dead and in need of life. It is through the law that we see that sin is exceedingly sinful and apart from Jesus, sin results in death.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Romans 7:12-13 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. [13] Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

16. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

+191
    Pentecostal
    Married
    >>well you can "ignore"...I dont like that term..all of them

That is the problem today, people think they can "ignore" the Bible. The Old Testament is written in shaddows and types, it is called a mystery. It is our job to explain what it means to people today. It all applys, but it is our job to show people how it applys to them and their life.

17. Optimus_P

Optimus_P Super Umpa Lumpa

+1
    I would say that yes, and no. The OT laws were put in place when Jesus came he built off of those exhisting laws.

i kinda look at it like this.

God is the foundation, Jesus built the house, man rearanged the furnature.

18. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    Christ came to fulfill and sum up the commandments. When we are "in Christ" the Law is fulfilled.

The Galatians were being troubled by some Christians who wanted to add certain "Law" elements. Paul rebukes them because they are changing the Gospel to make it no Gospel at all.
    And then again

In effect, Paul says that we make Christ into a new "law-giver."

19. Feathers

Feathers New Member

+0
    Jesus said he came to fulfill the law, the law is finished with. The law has no more value since it is finished with. The old law was written and was fulfilled by physically obeying commandments with physical punishments attached to breaking them and physical sacrifices put in place to atone for them.
    Jesus replaced all the sacrifices with his one sacrifice.
    We dont live now by physically obeying the laws, we are saved by grace and faith in Jesus therefore the law is written on our hearts (instinct?). We don't do things like obeying laws to get somewhere with God, We obey because of gratitude and love of God. We love God and our neighbour not to gain anything. No its because we are following Jesus example of obedience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.