Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was reading the vaccines thread and noticed that a few people didn't want to use artificial sweeteners like Equal, Splenda, or Sweet N Low, but also didnt want to give up sweetness in food or drinks.

I thought I would let people know about Stevia, if you didn't already. Stevia is a plant extract that is sweet, but contains no calories. It's not an artificially created chemical, and has been used for a long time, especially by the native South Americans who would chew the Stevia leaf because it was sweet. A variety of brands and concentrations is available, but in general, you only need MINUTE amounts of it compared to artificial sweeteners.

If you have never tried it, you should be able to find it in higher quality grocery store or natural stores. Don't look with the other sweeteners! Stevia isn't approved as a "food." It's approved as an "dietary supplement." Look for it by health care items, organic sections, and other dietary supplements.

I've tried it and like it in everything but coffee.

Let me know if you like it!

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is also Xylitol, but that can cause problems if eaten in large quantities (over 2 teaspoons) because it is found in fruits and you do know what eating too much fruit can do. :)

Xylitol gum apparently does not cause cavities like ordinary sugar because it is a five-carbon sugar while ordinary sugar is a six-carbon sugar. Apparently bacteria does not thrive in a Xylitol environment.

There is another "natural sugar" that is also antibiotic but rather expensive. It does not have the side effects of Xylitol.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
There is also Xylitol, but that can cause problems if eaten in large quantities (over 2 teaspoons) because it is found in fruits and you do know what eating too much fruit can do. :)

Xylitol gum apparently does not cause cavities like ordinary sugar because it is a five-carbon sugar while ordinary sugar is a six-carbon sugar. Apparently bacteria does not thrive in a Xylitol environment.

There is another "natural sugar" that is also antibiotic but rather expensive. It does not have the side effects of Xylitol.

I love Xylitol! I bake with it, pies, cookies, cakes, coffee, syrups it's just awesome :)

and no weird side effects either :angel:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Michael, the only side effect that some people notice is that Xylitol might have the same effect as eating a bunch of fresh fruit. In fact, some people like that laxative side effect.

Otherwise, my two pound container has the following announcement (take it or leave it):

METABOLIZED SLOWLY

NO SUGAR HIGHS OR LOWS

SAFE FOR DIABETICS

SAFE FOR HYPOGLYCEMICS

SAFE FOR CANDIDA

SAFE FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE

DISSOLVES QUICKLY

PERFECT FOR BAKING

LOOKS & TASTES LIKE SUGAR

1 TO 1 RATIO WITH SUGAR

1/2 THE CALORIES OF SUGAR

DOES NOT PROMOTE CAVITIES

NO AFTERTASTE OR SIDE EFFECTS

BONW ASH & DAIRY FREE

VEGAN & KOSHER

REASONABLY PRICED

GUARANTEED

[and at the very bottom in small type:]

(Using excessively may cause a laxative effect.)

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A. DONT YELL AT ME!!! In case you did not know, typing all in caps is understood as yelling.

B. What effect do people have from eating fresh fruit?

Michael, the only side effect that some people notice is that Xylitol might have the same effect as eating a bunch of fresh fruit. In fact, some people like that laxative side effect.

Otherwise, my two pound container has the following announcement (take it or leave it):

METABOLIZED SLOWLY

NO SUGAR HIGHS OR LOWS

SAFE FOR DIABETICS

SAFE FOR HYPOGLYCEMICS

SAFE FOR CANDIDA

SAFE FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE

DISSOLVES QUICKLY

PERFECT FOR BAKING

LOOKS & TASTES LIKE SUGAR

1 TO 1 RATIO WITH SUGAR

1/2 THE CALORIES OF SUGAR

DOES NOT PROMOTE CAVITIES

NO AFTERTASTE OR SIDE EFFECTS

BONW ASH & DAIRY FREE

VEGAN & KOSHER

REASONABLY PRICED

GUARANTEED

[and at the very bottom in small type:]

(Using excessively may cause a laxative effect.)

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only issue I have ever heard of with fresh fruit requires really outrageously fresh pineapples like those that are found on Pacific Islands. Other than that I have never had an issue with the peaches, apples or cherries that grow on the fruit trees in my yard, and those are about as fresh as you can get.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then you should have no problems.

But companies are required to mention all the possible side effects on their product labels, so that there will be no embarrassing movements ... err moments. In spite of careful labeling, there will always be some opportunity for an unscrupulous person to generate a law suit with a resulting product price increase to pay for the attorney fees.

Speaking about labels
, have any of you purchased non-fluoride toothpaste from Trader Joes?

Have you noticed that Trader Joes' All Natural, No Fluoride, Antiplaque Toothpaste with Fennel, Propolis & Myrrh [containing Xylitol] has a warning:

If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center Immediately.

Do any of the following sound like poisons to you:

Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Foeniculum Vulgate (Fennel) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Resin, Hydrated Silica, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Propolis Wax, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do any of the following sound like poisons to you:

Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Foeniculum Vulgate (Fennel) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Resin, Hydrated Silica, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Propolis Wax, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil.

Hmmm, most of those sound like poisons to me!

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a new dietary sugar, not stevia or xylitol, that is called Just Like Sugar.
This was being advertised but it is very expensive. Has anyone heard about it?

Update:
I just checked the website recommended by Dr. Blaylock and it is no longer available.
It was called www.justlikesugar.com (but that domain is for sale).

I think Xylitol is about $10/pound in health food stores, but a little less in other stores.
You must be careful when choosing your source of Xylitol.
The safest but the more expensive forms of xylitol come from Birch Trees.

The 2 lb can I just purchased is called "The Ultimate Sweetener."
This xylitol is imported from Finland where they have birch tree forests.

Kal and the other cheaper brands process xylitol from corn grown in China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.