Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does not the were the pattern of Christ's atoning sacrifice (Ro 3:25), where the OT sacrifices were penalty for sin (Lev 5:6, 7, 15, 6:6, 26:41, 43)?

Do you think Anselm trumps Scripture?
So according to the penal substitution atonement and Johnathon Edwards, the Father's need for justice and anger towards mankind is so vengeful, that He demanded that the Son die. So we are in bondage not to the devil or death, but to God's hatred towards humanity. Therefore Jesus had to save us from His Father's wrath. Does that make sense? If it does, I would toss the entire OT and claim that there are two gods, the OT God who demands blood, death and torment, and the NT God who loves us and sent His son to save us from the OT god.

But if (the ransom was paid) to the Father, I ask first, how? For it was not by Him that we were being oppressed; and next, On what principle did the Blood of His Only begotten Son delight the Father, Who would not receive even Isaac, when he was being offered by his Father, but changed the sacrifice, putting a ram in the place of the human victim? Is it not evident that the Father accepts Him, but neither asked for Him nor demanded Him; but on account of the Incarnation, and because Humanity must be sanctified by the Humanity of God, that He might deliver us Himself, and overcome the tyrant, and draw us to Himself by the mediation of His Son, Who also arranged this to the honour of the Father, Whom it is manifest that He obeys in all things? - Gregory the Theologian, Second Pascal Homily

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is the opening paragraphs of Johnathon Edwards' "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" what you desire?
When did "what I desire" have anything to do with the laws of reality and truth?

I don't desire death, but I get it anyway.
I don't desire pain, but I get it anyway.
I don't desire loss, but I get it anyway.

You sayin' the Constitution guarantees your right to what you desire?
If not, then who/what does?

As the fella' says, "That's good work, if you can get it."
The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked. His wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else but to be cast into the fire. He is of purer eyes than to bear you in his sight; you are ten thousand times as abominable in his eyes as the most hateful, venomous serpent is in ours.​
You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince, and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else that you did not got to hell the last night; that you were suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell since you have sat here in the house of God provoking his pure eye by your sinful, wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.​

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So according to the penal substitution atonement and Johnathon Edwards, the Father's need for justice and anger towards mankind is so vengeful, that He demanded that the Son die. So we are in bondage not to the devil or death, but to God's hatred towards humanity. Therefore Jesus had to save us from His Father's wrath. Does that make sense? If it does, I would toss the entire OT and claim that there are two gods, the OT God who demands blood, death and torment, and the NT God who loves us and sent His son to save us from the OT god.

But if (the ransom was paid) to the Father, I ask first, how? For it was not by Him that we were being oppressed; and next, On what principle did the Blood of His Only begotten Son delight the Father, Who would not receive even Isaac, when he was being offered by his Father, but changed the sacrifice, putting a ram in the place of the human victim? Is it not evident that the Father accepts Him, but neither asked for Him nor demanded Him; but on account of the Incarnation, and because Humanity must be sanctified by the Humanity of God, that He might deliver us Himself, and overcome the tyrant, and draw us to Himself by the mediation of His Son, Who also arranged this to the honour of the Father, Whom it is manifest that He obeys in all things? - Gregory the Theologian, Second Pascal Homily
Previously addressed in post #19.

Feel free to show the error of the word of God presented there.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When did "what I desire" have anything to do with the laws of reality and truth?

I don't desire death, but I get it anyway.
I don't desire pain, but I get it anyway.
I don't desire loss, but I get it anyway.

You sayin' the Constitution guarantees your right to what you desire?
If not, then who/what does?

As the fella' says, "That's good work, if you can get it."
So you agree that the Father dangles us over a fire and only the Son holds Him back a la Edwards?

FYI, I'm not going to hold to the Protestant standard of quoting Scripture because I believe that Sola Scriptura is a heresy.

Christ tells us, “every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a bad tree bringeth forth evil fruit” (Matthew 7:17). If we judge Sola Scriptura by its fruit, we are left with one conclusion: this tree must be “hewn down, and cast into the fire” (Matthew 7:19).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So according to the penal substitution atonement and Johnathon Edwards, the Father's need for justice and anger towards mankind is so vengeful, that He demanded that the Son die.
Can you show me this? I believe in penal substitution, and I have read Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, and I don't hear of the Father's NEED for justice, nor that his sacrificing his Son was DEMANDED because God is so VENGEFUL. Where do you get these notions?

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you agree that the Father dangles us over a fire and only the Son holds Him back a la Edwards?
I agree God is just, with which I am in complete agreement, and will require that the penalty for violation of his laws will be paid, with which I am in agreement.
FYI, I'm not going to hold to the Protestant standard of quoting Scripture because I believe that Sola Scriptura is a heresy.
My problem is that there is no higher authority in all creation than God's word, which he has given us in the NT writings of the apostles, which also testify to the OT writings as God-breathed (2 Tim 3:16).
It is astounding to me that any descendant of Adam (i.e., sinner, Ro 5:18) would think he has authority over it. . .that is just insanity to me.
Christ tells us, “every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a bad tree bringeth forth evil fruit” (Matthew 7:17). If we judge Sola Scriptura by its fruit, we are left with one conclusion: this tree must be “hewn down, and cast into the fire” (Matthew 7:19).
Are you not going by "Sola Scriptura" in your above assessment and application? . . .which is a perfect example of what you are talking about; i.e., Sola Scriptura as heresy. . .by misapplication, as in your misapplication of Mt 7:19 to make your heretical point.

For according to you, there goes God's holy law, which if judged by its fruit ("all who rely on it are under a curse," Gal 3:10) "must be hewn down, and cast into the fire."

I'm wondering if Sola Scriptura is necessarily a heresy to you because you don't know/understand the Scriptures. . .

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Does not the NT make that argument?

Death is the penalty of sin (Ro 6:23),
the death of all the animal sacrifices--the pattern for the true atoning sacrifice--was penalty for sin ((Lev 5:6, 7, 15, 6:6, 26:41, 43),
Christ died as the sin offering penalty for our sins (Ro 8:3, 1 Co 15:3-4, 2 Co 5:21),
he was delivered over to (the penalty of) death for our sin Ro 4:25).

Does not the "Gospel of Isaiah" 43. . .v. 5 (as in Lk 23:16, 22), 10, etc. make that argument. . .or the Messianic Psalm 22?

What Metropolitan Kallistos Ware notes in the lecture I linked to, is that while Christ undeniably saved us by offering Himself as a sacrifice, he stresses that problems arise when one seeks to define who the sacrifice was offered to. Scripture does not say that the Penalty was paid to the Father or that the punishment due to us was inflicted by the Father, nor do the Fathers.

Likewise the offering was not due to the devil, since the devil has no rights. St. Augustine, joking about the complexity of this question, suggested in jest that Christ died to trick the devil, since being both God and Man, the devil could not hold him and was thus confounded. Now, lest there should be any confusion, I should note that part of the Christus Victor approach to soteriology does affirm that Christ despoiled Hell by His harrowing of it, and we see this reflected in the Paschal Homily of St. John Chrysostom, but this Trampling Down Death by Death occurs as a result of the Incarnate Word presenting Himself as a sacrifice to free mankind from the oppression of Hades.

Rather, the important thing is that as the supreme act of love, God, in the person of Jesus Christ, paid the wages of sin, by dying for us, but not to the person of the Father, since God paying Himself makes no sense, and the Father being in all respects perfect and thus devoid of pride has no wounded honor that must be satisfied as Anselm of Canterbury suggested.

In a sense, one could argue that since we incurred the debt and were the beneficiary of the payment, and since sin was not created by God but is a destructive act which is the uncreatable reality of having sentient self aware beings, regardless of whether or not one subscribes to determinism or free will, sin is an act of self-destruction which God seeks to discourage us from doing; since He is Love, His Laws are not arbitrary legislation but rather are meant to discourage us from harming ourselves or others, because doing so will lead to our death and possibly that of others. Sinning is like playing with explosives, or abusing certain drugs which cause extreme behavior, that will cause you to die and possibly others. Thus, we are the beneficiaries of God conquering sin through His incarnation, but not the sole beneficiaries, for the angels rejoiced at the Incarnation, because they knew what it meant for humans, for them and for God, and the devil tried to interfere with it, pointlessly, because of his extreme depravity and such infinite pride that he thought he could set the persons of the Trinity, who are coessential, coequal and coeternal, against each other, or set the human will of Christ against His divine will (that Christ has two wills was doctrinally established by the Sixth Ecumenical Council; Monothelitism was a heresy invented in an attempt to reconcile the Oriental Orthodox to Chalcedon, but it failed, since the Oriental Orthodox saw it as heretical, and the foremost Eastern Orthodox like St. Maximus the Confessor likewise identified it as heresy; for preaching against it St. Maximus had his tongue cut off on the orders of the Emperor and died six days later. However it has been suggested that the Maronite Catholics were Monothelites before joining the Roman Church during the crusades; if so, this would explain why they separated from the Syriac Orthodox and migrated to forts they built in the mountains of Lebanon, and also why they were so fond of the Pope of Rome, and being isolated in Lebanon, might have thought that Monothelitism, which was championed by Pope Honorius I, the only Pope of Rome* or primate of an Orthodox church** to advocate a heresy later anathematized by one of the Seven Ecumenical Councils shared by the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics, was still Roman Catholic doctrine, and that the successors of Honorius

* Pope Honorius I was so notorious for this reason that in the Renaissance there was a grimoire compiled that was spuriously attributed to him, and the idea that Honorius I dealt in black magic was something that people could think of. Interestingly, at that time the Roman Catholic Church rejected the existence of witchcraft and anathematized those who believed in it, but then people started practicing it; it seems unlikely that witchcraft however is, as some suggest, an ancient continuation of Pagan religions, but rather is chiefly the product of 19th and early 20th century fantasists dabbling in the occult. There is of course alchemy and hermeticism, which are also now in the occult, but prior to the discovery of hydrogen, alchemy was somewhat respected, and it was the discovery of the element hydrogen that established modern chemistry in the 18th century as a respected science, just as astronomy developed from the occult superstition of astrology.

** Interestingly, the only ancient Patriarchate never to have embraced a heresy as defined by the Eastern Orthodox Church is the Patriarchate of the Church of Romania, and for this reason the His Beatitude the Patriarch of Romania wears distinctive white versions of the black cassock and exorason (cloak) worn by all other Eastern Orthodox Patriarchs and the Eastern Orthodox Pope of Alexandria. It should be noted that while it is a fact of course that the Romanian Orthodox Patriarch has never engaged in a heresy, there are other Patriarchates and autocephalous churches whose leaders can make the same claim, for example, to the best of my knowledge, this list includes but is not limited to the Serbian Orthodox Church, the Czech-Slovak Orthodox Church, the Polish Orthodox Church, the Church of Greece under the Archbishop of Athens rather than the Ecumenical Patriarchate (which suffered from Arian, Nestorian and Iconoclast Patriarchs forcibly installed by the Byzantine Empire, and possibly Patriarch Cyril Lukaris embraced Calvinist theology, which is monergist and thus contradicts the Fifth Ecumenical Council) and the Orthodox Church in America . ***

*** Here follows an excursus for the benefit of my Oriental Orthodox friends @dzheremi, @coorilose , @Pavel Mosko , and my Eastern Orthodox friends @prodromos @psalti chrysostom and @HTacianas , and others who frequently enjoy liturgical content, and also my Roman Catholic friends @concretecamper and @Reader Antonious.

Of the other Eastern Orthodox primates, while black is the predominate color, His Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow and the Metropolitans of ROCOR, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the Belarussian Orthodox Church, the Church of Japan, and the Orthodox Church of America, and other churches currently or formerly a part of the Russian Orthodox church, and all bishops of these churches with the rank of Metropolitan, such as the Metropolitan of St. Petersburg, wear a white headdress, except for that worn by His Holiness the Catholicos of the ancient Church of Georgia, which after the abolition of the Moscow Patriarchate under Czar Peter “the Great” was forcibly annexed, only to be restored to autocephaly together with the restoration of the Moscow Patriarchate when the Czar abdicated, shortly before the Bolsheviks seized power. The Patriarchs of Moscow and Georgia wear a distinctively shaped headdress, the difference being the Georgian version is black and the Muscovite version white. Likewise the Serbian Orthodox Patriarch wears a somewhat different looking headdress than that of all other Eastern Orthodox bishops except perhaps other Serbian bishops. Curiously the Rabbis of the Romaniote Jews of Greece either copied aspects of the Serbian Orthodox design or produced a similar looking headdress unintentionally.

His Beatitude Greek Orthodox Pope of Alexandria, when wearing his full Eucharistic vestments, wears a mitre different in appearance from the mitres worn by other Eastern Orthodox bishops and also by His Holiness the Coptic Orthodox Pope and the Patriarchs of the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox churches when celebrating the Divine Liturgy. I suspect the design used by the Greek Orthodox

the Oriental Orthodox primates, black is worn by the Coptic Pope of Alexandria and the two Catholicoi who run the two worldwide parts of the Armenian Apostolic Church, the senior Catholicos of Holy Etchmiadzin in Armenia and the junior Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia, who exists because for a brief time after the Armenians conquered Cilicia, there were two Armenian kingdoms simultaneously, and during the Cold War the Soviet occupation of Armenia split the diaspora between the two Catholicoi, althougj they have since reconciled, and the two Armenian Patriarchs who preside over the autocephalous Armenian Apostolic Churches of Constantinople and Jerusalem. The Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate wears a red cassock cut in the Eastern pattern sometime, with a red cap like those worn by Eastern Orthodox priests, while at other times he wears a black Western style cassock with red trim and a red sash, identical to that usually worn by Roman Catholic cardinals, but with a distinctive black turban, attire also worn by all Syriac Orthodox bishops and the Catholicos of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. The Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarch (and presumably his Eritrean counterpart) wears a white Eastern style cassock with a large white turban.

The Catholicos-Patriarchs of the Assyrian Church of the East, and his counterpart at the much smaller Ancient Church of the East*** when not wearing the black and purple cassock like those worn by Roman Catholic bishops and Syriac Orthodox priests, wears a purple cassock of the Eastern style. He and his brother bishops in the Assyrian churches also wear a fez with rings around it called a shashta; the subordinate leader of the Chaldean Catholic Church, who has a title which would freak out Jack Chick, the Patriarch of Babylon, used to wear a similar headdress to that, a fez wrapped in purple or if the Patriarch is made a Cardinal, crimson cloth, called a Shash, but the current Patriarch, appointed during the Pontificate of Pope Francis, discontinued wearing it because the other Chaldean bishops were not allowed to wear this vestment.

This is of course absurd because the Pope and the leaders of the Coptic Catholics, Maronite Catholics, Syro Malabar Catholics, Syriac Catholics and some other Eastern Catholic churches continue to wear headdress distinct from their subordinates, especially if they become members of the College of Cardinals, and a better solution which would have preserved a beautiful traditional vestment would have been to expand the use of the Shash within the Chaldean church.

*** They separated from the former in a schism in the late 1960s due to the realization that the last of the hereditarys Patriarch Mar Shimun, and his hereditary predecessors, were not canonical, since the ancient canon law of the Church of the East prohibited any bishop from naming his successor, requiring instead that the Patriarch be elected by the Holy Synod, like in every other Eastern or Orthodox church aside from Eastern Catholic churches where I believe the Pope of Rome is involved in the decision, and also the change to the Georgian Calendar instituted by Mar Shimun, but since that time, Mar Shimun was assasinated and Mar Dinkha elected to replace him, and the other issues dividing the two churches have become largely irrelevant, and a reunion is expected in the near future. It should be noted that since Assyrian bishops are supposed to be celibate, like their Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox counterparts, and were presumably monastic when the Assyrians had monasteries, the hereditary Patriarchate which appeared in the 17th century when I suppose the church was distracted by the Jesuit-influenced schism of the Arabic speaking Chaldeans of Baghdad, who broke communion with the Assyrians and entered into communion with Rome, was not from father to elder son but father to younger son or uncle to nephew. Thus it was inherited by close relatives from the same family, but not from father to elder son, who rather inherited the job of siring the next Patriarch.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Metropolitan Kallistos Ware notes in the lecture I linked to, is that while Christ undeniably saved us by offering Himself as a sacrifice, he stresses that problems arise when one seeks to define who the sacrifice was offered to. Scripture does not say that the Penalty was paid to the Father or that the punishment due to us was inflicted by the Father, nor do the Fathers.
Who were the OT sacrifices offered to?

I kinda' see that as a nothing burger. . .

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Forgive me, I was distracted by my excursus to my friends on liturgical matters to finis my response to you @Clare73

(Regarding Christ having two wills and Satan seeking to tempt him). However it has been suggested that the Maronite Catholics were Monothelites before joining the Roman Church during the crusades; if so, this would explain why they separated from the Syriac Orthodox and migrated to forts they built in the mountains of Lebanon, and also why they were so fond of the Pope of Rome, and being isolated in Lebanon, might have thought that Monothelitism, which was championed by Pope Honorius I, the only Pope of Rome* or primate of an Orthodox church** to advocate a heresy later anathematized by one of the Seven Ecumenical Councils shared by the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics, was still Roman Catholic doctrine, and that the successors of Honorius were still in charge.

Thus, we are left with the question you attempted to reiterate with reference to the OT in this reply:

Who were the OT sacrifices offered to?

Specifically, that being who the sacrifice of Christ was offered to, which is actually not the point of dispute, as I shall explain:

Now, firstly, the Old Testament sacrifices were made to God, but not specifically to the Father

Secondly, I believe the answer to this question is found in the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy, which is called in the Divine Liturgies of St. Basil and St. James a Bloodless and Rational Sacrifice*, and I think also the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom; the Epiclesis of the liturgies in each case after the prayer for the Holy Spirit to descend and “make this bread the precious Body of Thy Christ” and then to “make that which is in this chalice the precious Blood of Thy Christ, changing both by thy Spirit”, and certain other prayers, the priest loudly sings “Thine Own of Thine Own, We Offer Unto Thee, On Behalf of All and for All.”

So there is no disagreement that God offered Himself to Himself in the Passion of Christ, and then God arose from the grave, as prophesied by Psalms 68 (Psalm 67 in the Septuagint and Vulgate/Douai Rheims) Exsurge Deus, “Let God Arise, and Let His Enemies be Scattered…” and numerous other Old Testament texts.

However, the question as to whom the Ransom was paid, is different, since God sacrificed Himself, but it would violate Divine Simplicity and Unity to say the Son sacrificed Himself to the Father, and suggest discord between the persons, and it would in fact be a profound injustice** of the Father to punish the Son for our Sins. Rather, the Theopaschite position is that God suffered entirely to benefit us, the ransom as it were not being paid to Him or the devil, but on our behalf, but of mutual benefit to us and to God and the angels, who actively desire our Salvation to the point of God willingly allowing Himself to become incarnate and obedient even unto death, to paraphrase St. Paul in Phillipians.

If you would watch the lecture by Metropolitan Kallistos, memory eternal, which is one of the great theological lectures, homilies and sermons of the past century, on a par with the lengthy sermon delivered by the Calvinist Presbyterian Dr. James Kennedy, memory eternal, explaining specifically why abortion is evil according to Scripture, this is explained, and also how the Orthodox simultaneously interpret the Passion as using the models of Atonement, Sacrifice, Ransom, and Christus Victor, using the model of the Passion as the Supreme Act of Love.

*The latter I suspect, and perhaps @Psalti Chrysostom or @prodromos could comment on this, being a reference to Christ as the Divine Logos, with the word Logoi literally meaning “Reasonable” or “Rational.” On this basis, as a pun, St. Epiphanius of Salamis in his directory of cults in the Early Church called The Panarion (which is Koine or early Byzantine Greek for The Medicine Chest, i.e. First Aid Kit), referred to a cult which rejected the use of the Gospel According to St. John, which reveals Christ as the Divine Logos, as being Alogoi, that is to say, unreasonable.

** St. Isaac the Syrian, or the Patristic figure the Georgian priest in the OP was referring to, which he was reasonably certain was St. Isaac, said that God was not Just but Loving, because forgiveness is more important than justice, which is centered around retribution, but at the same time He is not unjust, which is to say God being perfect will not tolerate an injustice, although He has borne the burdens of our iniquity.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Forgive me, I was distracted by my excursus to my friends on liturgical matters to finis my response to you @Clare73
(Regarding Christ having two wills and Satan seeking to tempt him). However it has been suggested that the Maronite Catholics were Monothelites before joining the Roman Church during the crusades; if so, this would explain why they separated from the Syriac Orthodox and migrated to forts they built in the mountains of Lebanon, and also why they were so fond of the Pope of Rome, and being isolated in Lebanon, might have thought that Monothelitism, which was championed by Pope Honorius I, the only Pope of Rome* or primate of an Orthodox church** to advocate a heresy later anathematized by one of the Seven Ecumenical Councils shared by the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics, was still Roman Catholic doctrine, and that the successors of Honorius were still in charge.
Most interesting and informative, as always. Thanks.

The above, in addition to many other malpractices, demonstrates to me that God's authority is not located in man, but in his word written.
Censored by excommunication, there is no word of dissent allowed from the faithful when truth is determined by a magisterium, thereby hampering the truth from coming to light, and the whole body of the faithful being kept under untruth.
That can't be any better than Scripturally-studied and qualified men of faith presenting God's truth from the Scriptures.
And I think we have demonstration of that problem of truth in the NT doctrines of justification apart from works (Ro 3:28) and salvation not by works (Eph 2:8-9), which it took the Protestant Reformation to expose and the Roman Church centuries to see and understand.
Thus, we are left with the question you attempted to reiterate with reference to the OT in this reply:

Specifically, that being who the sacrifice of Christ was offered to, which is actually not the point of dispute, as I shall explain:
My mistake. . .I understood you to be presenting such as the problem being resolved in relation to God's simplicity.
Now, firstly, the Old Testament sacrifices were made to God, but not specifically to the Father
The Trinity had not yet been clearly demonstrated.
Secondly, I believe the answer to this question is found in the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy, which is called in the Divine Liturgies of St. Basil and St. James a Bloodless and Rational Sacrifice*, and I think also the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom; the Epiclesis of the liturgies in each case after the prayer for the Holy Spirit to descend and “make this bread the precious Body of Thy Christ” and then to “make that which is in this chalice the precious Blood of Thy Christ, changing both by thy Spirit”, and certain other prayers, the priest loudly sings “Thine Own of Thine Own, We Offer Unto Thee, On Behalf of All and for All.”

So there is no disagreement that God offered Himself to Himself in the Passion of Christ, and then God arose from the grave, as prophesied by Psalms 68 (Psalm 67 in the Septuagint and Vulgate/Douai Rheims) Exsurge Deus, “Let God Arise, and Let His Enemies be Scattered…” and numerous other Old Testament texts.

However, the question as to whom the Ransom was paid, is different, since God sacrificed Himself, but it would violate Divine Simplicity and Unity to say the Son sacrificed Himself to the Father, and suggest discord between the persons, and it would in fact be a profound injustice** of the Father to punish the Son for our Sins. Rather, the Theopaschite position is that God suffered entirely to benefit us, the ransom as it were not being paid to Him or the devil, but on our behalf, but of mutual benefit to us and to God and the angels, who actively desire our Salvation to the point of God willingly allowing Himself to become incarnate and obedient even unto death, to paraphrase St. Paul in Phillipians.
If you would watch the lecture by Metropolitan Kallistos, memory eternal, which is one of the great theological lectures, homilies and sermons of the past century, on a par with the lengthy sermon delivered by the Calvinist Presbyterian Dr. James Kennedy, memory eternal, explaining specifically why abortion is evil according to Scripture, this is explained, and also how the Orthodox simultaneously interpret the Passion as using the models of Atonement, Sacrifice, Ransom, and Christus Victor, using the model of the Passion as the Supreme Act of Love.
With which I am in agreement. . .for it is not either/or, it is both/and.
Which is why I challenge assertions that it was not Penal when we have the OT sacrifices, the pattern of the true atoning sacrifice, being just that.
In addition, I point out that the supreme act of love demonstrates divine justice, for there is no other reason that Christ's sacrifice was necessary.
*The latter I suspect, and perhaps @Psalti Chrysostom or @prodromos could comment on this, being a reference to Christ as the Divine Logos, with the word Logoi literally meaning “Reasonable” or “Rational.”
In Greek philosophy, logos was the First Cause, the great Intelligence and Reason behind the Universe
On this basis, as a pun, St. Epiphanius of Salamis in his directory of cults in the Early Church called The Panarion (which is Koine or early Byzantine Greek for The Medicine Chest, i.e. First Aid Kit), referred to a cult which rejected the use of the Gospel According to St. John, which reveals Christ as the Divine Logos, as being Alogoi, that is to say, unreasonable.
** St. Isaac the Syrian, or the Patristic figure the Georgian priest in the OP was referring to, which he was reasonably certain was St. Isaac, said that God was not Just but Loving, because forgiveness is more important than justice, which is centered around retribution, but at the same time He is not unjust, which is to say God being perfect will not tolerate an injustice, although He has borne the burdens of our iniquity.
God is both just and loving. . .they are not in contradiction. . .both operate in completeness in God.
Justice is what is owed, earned. . .love/mercy is a sovereign free unmerited (not owed to anyone) gift.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Rather, the important thing is that as the supreme act of love, God, in the person of Jesus Christ, paid the wages of sin, by dying for us, but not to the person of the Father, since God paying Himself makes no sense, and the Father being in all respects perfect and thus devoid of pride has no wounded honor that must be satisfied as Anselm of Canterbury suggested.

In a sense, one could argue that since we incurred the debt and were the beneficiary of the payment, and since sin was not created by God but is a destructive act which is the uncreatable reality of having sentient self aware beings, regardless of whether or not one subscribes to determinism or free will, sin is an act of self-destruction which God seeks to discourage us from doing; since He is Love, His Laws are not arbitrary legislation but rather are meant to discourage us from harming ourselves or others, because doing so will lead to our death and possibly that of others. Sinning is like playing with explosives, or abusing certain drugs which cause extreme behavior, that will cause you to die and possibly others. Thus, we are the beneficiaries of God conquering sin through His incarnation, but not the sole beneficiaries, for the angels rejoiced at the Incarnation, because they knew what it meant for humans, for them and for God, and the devil tried to interfere with it, pointlessly, because of his extreme depravity and such infinite pride that he thought he could set the persons of the Trinity, who are coessential, coequal and coeternal, against each other, or set the human will of Christ against His divine will
Are you saying that this is something you agree with, or are you just presenting a point of view? For example, to say that God has no pride can be true or can be false, depending on what you mean by it. The perfection attributable to God is not attributable to man, in that virtue in man is about God, but virtue in God is in and of himself. To say God has no pride in himself can be very misleading. He certainly does think well of himself, enough so that "he wanted to share it, and so made humanity", as the narrative goes. (Yes, I'm a bit skeptical of that way of putting it, but in essence, I think, I am in agreement with it.)

In the second paragraph of my quoting you above, you say, "One could argue that..." by which you distance yourself somewhat from an argument. But within that description of that argument, you include reasons for the argument, that sound like your reasons why the argument makes sense. So I don't know if you agree with such things as your description of sin as self-destructive act alone. Obviously, at least to me, it certainly isn't primarily self-destructive, but is much more than that. True, it is possible for the human to sin against himself, or to sin against humanity in general, or to sin against another person, or to sin against God's people, or even against nature and the cosmos*. But primarily, sin is against God; it is rebellion against God. It is, whether successful or not, at least an attempt to wound God's honor, but I don't think of it quite that way except as it is defamation of God's name.

It is in crushing the serpent's head, that Eve's Seed's heel is wounded.

*I say it is possible to sin against the cosmos, but in reality, what I mean is that any sin is, besides being against other things and against God, literal "cosmic treason", though what I mean by that is not what I think RC Sproul meant by it. (He was the first one I've heard use the term). To rebel against God is to destroy what God has made; thus, sin produces death. I can't explain this well, but I can't help but believe it. One way I have put it is that sin, even the smallest sin, would "tear a gash in the space-time continuum, were it not for the power of God to keep it together."

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you saying that this is something you agree with, or are you just presenting a point of view? For example, to say that God has no pride can be true or can be false, depending on what you mean by it. The perfection attributable to God is not attributable to man, in that virtue in man is about God, but virtue in God is in and of himself. To say God has no pride in himself can be very misleading. He certainly does think well of himself, enough so that "he wanted to share it, and so made humanity", as the narrative goes. (Yes, I'm a bit skeptical of that way of putting it, but in essence, I think, I am in agreement with it.)

In the second paragraph of my quoting you above, you say, "One could argue that..." by which you distance yourself somewhat from an argument. But within that description of that argument, you include reasons for the argument, that sound like your reasons why the argument makes sense. So I don't know if you agree with such things as your description of sin as self-destructive act alone. Obviously, at least to me, it certainly isn't primarily self-destructive, but is much more than that. True, it is possible for the human to sin against himself, or to sin against humanity in general, or to sin against another person, or to sin against God's people, or even against nature and the cosmos*.
But primarily, sin is against God; it is rebellion against God. It is, whether successful or not, at least an attempt to wound God's honor, but I don't think of it quite that way except as it is defamation of God's name.
To me, that is the meaning of all sin, pure and simple.
It is in crushing the serpent's head, that Eve's Seed's heel is wounded.

*I say it is possible to sin against the cosmos, but in reality, what I mean is that any sin is, besides being against other things and against God, literal "cosmic treason", though what I mean by that is not what I think RC Sproul meant by it. (He was the first one I've heard use the term). To rebel against God is to destroy what God has made; thus, sin produces death. I can't explain this well, but I can't help but believe it. One way I have put it is that sin, even the smallest sin, would "tear a gash in the space-time continuum, were it not for the power of God to keep it together."

• Agree
Upvote 0