• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Orthodox Lite

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by authiodionitist, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. authiodionitist

authiodionitist Senior Member

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged

Hey, just dropping this off for perusal from the TAW side of CF..... ;)

‘Orthodox lite’ services draw ritual-hungry evangelicals

http://www.larknews.com/september_20...ary.php?page=5

AKRON, Ohio — When a new Antiochian Orthodox church opened up and drew families from several evangelical churches, it created a minor buzz around town.
    At the Evangelical Free church, it also created another service.
    "I’ve been caught off guard by other shifts in church trends," says EV Free pastor Brian Fitzgerald, 44. "Not this time."
    In a defensive maneuver, his church soon added an Orthodox-style service to cater to people who want more ritual and a feeling of connection to historical tradition.
    "It’s the same sermon, same worship songs in many cases, just done in a more liturgical style," Fitzgerald says. "I don’t mind changing the packaging for people. It freshens it up for them and for me."
    The new "Liturgical Service," as they call it, has become the most popular service even among young people. After the "standard" evangelical service at 9:30 a.m., workers decorate the platform with candles, non-specific iconography and other religious-looking items. Fitzgerald wears generic vestments and adopts a more somber manner. He reads from a liturgical book and the congregation responds by reading words on the screens.
    "I like the reverence and the mood," says one girl, 16. "It feels more spiritual."
    "I like the candles," her friend chimes in.
    The effort seems to be working to keep church members from straying elsewhere. In St. Paul, Minn., Family Life Center recently created a liturgical service and says some families have opted to stay rather than try out other churches. Jessica Onstead, 38, was dissatisfied enough last year with the "fluffiness" of evangelical church services that she visited an Orthodox service and liked parts of it. But she was uncomfortable with the "kissing of strangers, genuflecting and standing for an hour during the sermon."
    She ended up back at her non-denominational church which had by then added an Orthodox-style service. She now attends "standard" services one week and Orthodox-style the next, at the same church.
    "One is light and airy, and the other is dark and sacred," she says. "I get a balance this way."
    One pastor explains that most people don’t want to switch traditions, but just want "a taste of ritual and liturgy to supplement their usual tradition. If a few candles and a change of presentation satisfy that, we’re all for it."
    Other evangelicals who have flirted with the Orthodox tradition found that they, too, prefer courtship to commitment. The Bartel family of suburban Cleveland, Ohio, tried the local Orthodox church for a month, but "couldn’t make the cultural shift long-term," says the father. When they walked back into an evangelical service, "the drums and guitars sounded pretty good for once."

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Kvikklunsj

Kvikklunsj Well-Known Member

+337
    Finland
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You almost had me posting an angry rant until I actually went to larknews.com. :p Guess it kind of says something either way because I can imagine some churches actually doing something like that... *shakes head*

3. Svt4Him

Svt4Him Legend Supporter

+1,082
    Non-Denom
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Why is there a need for Christians to come together and be afraid?

4. JolieHeart

JolieHeart ~ Steadfast ~ Supporter

+249
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Interesting

5. authiodionitist

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Have you been to one of our services?

6. Kvikklunsj

Kvikklunsj Well-Known Member

+337
    Finland
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No. I've definitely been considering it, though.

7. MoNiCa4316

MoNiCa4316 Totus Tuus

+1,563
    Catholic
    Private
    I think in the context, they're just talking about it feeling more reverent. There are different worship styles out there, and they are all useful in different ways :) For me, sometimes I want to just 'be still and know that He is God', and sometimes I want to praise Him in a more 'expressive' way.

8. authiodionitist

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.