Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure that you're understanding my point, nonaeroterraqueous. It's not that the NT is somehow not about Jesus even when it's talking about St. Mary or some other figure (in a 'cameo' or not), but that it's not about Jesus in such a way that disregards His interaction with humankind, as He is God incarnate as a human man. That was my entire reason for quoting the particular passage that I did, which did not even mention St. Mary. It doesn't really have to, because we all know that He was incarnate of St. Mary, which is how she got the apparently still-disputed Christological title of "Theotokos" in the first place.

And, potential Roman excesses in this area notwithstanding (from the Orthodox point of view, that is), I don't know of any Christian church that teaches that St. Mary is somehow more or other than a mere human. She is a mere human, and she is honored due to her role in the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but not because she has any sort of power of her own (same as any saint, she is a testament to what God has worked through her...it's just that obviously there's quite a bit more to say about that topic in her specific case, given what exactly that was). She's not some sort of goddess.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.