Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
73% of Class of ’23 spent time before the Blessed Sacrament prior to seminary.

Deacon Nathan Hopper’s encounter with the Blessed Sacrament during a high-school retreat not only inspired him to recommit his life to the Lord but also to make regular Holy Hours, where he later heard God calling him to the priesthood.

“The priest actually carried the monstrance around in front of each of us individually for about a minute or so,” said Deacon Hopper, 28, who will be ordained a priest on May 27 for the Diocese of Peoria, Illinois, with three other ordinands.

“I realized how much the Lord loved me and had done [for me], and I began to realize how little I have shown that love back. I decided at that moment in adoration that I wanted to make some changes,” he recalled to the Register.

Deacon Hopper’s weekly Holy Hour in high school became a daily hour when he started college at Illinois State University in Normal. He soon discovered that a Holy Hour was the best way he could spend an hour a week — or a day — and said he will continue trying to keep a daily hour after he’s ordained.

Continued below.