• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Order of Malta leader bans Traditional Latin Mass

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+22,165
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,153
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Hmm...waiting to hear from Cardinal Burke on this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,806
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    My understanding is that this is nothing new, just a reaffirmation.

4. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,973
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Latin is not needed these days. Much better that EVERYONE can understand and participate in the mass in their own native language. I have attended latin mass but felt it was so fragmented and detached from the congregation from what was going on.

5. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,806
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I thoroughly enjoy Latin Mass.

6. Michie

+22,165
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Lots of people seem to for sure.

7. Michie

+22,165
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Lots of people seem to for sure.

8. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,153
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Yep.

9. Fenwick

Fenwick Non Nisi Te Domine

+6,488
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Indeed. It is truly heaven on earth, in my opinion. The most sublime liturgy.

The argument that people can't/don't understand what's happening in a Latin Mass doesn't hold water.

10. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,659
    Catholic
    Single
    I guess he does not like celebrating diversity

11. Michie

+22,165
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    According to the order's grand master the decision was taken 'for the sake of uniformity on a global level,' but critics within the order say it's part of a campaign against traditionally more inclined members.

Order of Malta Head Bans Extraordinary Form of Mass

12. Fenwick

+6,488
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    The irony is deafening. The Mass was never more uniform worldwide than when they were all conducted in Latin. You could go to Mass in the Philippines, Brazil, Niger, the Congo, France, and Poland...and they'd all be the same. You could partake in each one and know what was happening. Now they're fragmented by the vernacular.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Rhamiel

+8,659
    Catholic
    Single
    These people can just say anything because they know they no one with any power will call them out, just say something plausible with some good buzzwords in it and call it a day

14. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,942
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Before the new Mass, a native English-speaker could attend Mass in a non-English-speaking country and follow something like 90% of the Mass because he was already familiar with the Latin.

That is no longer the case.

That's not good and that's not bad either. It simply is. But at the same time, it's also undeniable that the Latin fosters greater unity than vernacular ever could. Yours is a quite peculiar objection, I must say.

15. Philip_B

Philip_B Let all mortal flesh keep silence ... Supporter

+4,254
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I know I am in a catholic forum, however let me add this. When I was in another country at a time I spoke none of the language I was able to attend and participate in the liturgy of the eucharist. I found it intensely liberating, free to worship without hanging on every syllable. There is more to worship than the brain, there is more to liturgy than the words. The ultimate language of the liturgy is bread and wine, taken, offered, blessed and broken.

16. Fenwick

+6,488
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I would say it is good because it demonstrates the unity of the Catholic Church that transcends language and national boundaries. It's the undoing of the Tower of Babel, if you will.

I've been to Masses in English, Spanish, and Latin, and once after Mass there was a rosary held in English, French, Spanish, and Croatian. In many English Masses at my parish I note that there are many Spanish speakers, and I wonder whether they're able to follow along as closely as they could in a Spanish Mass, and I can only follow a Spanish Mass as closely as my two years of high school Spanish will allow me. But in Latin, there's common ground. The booklets provided with the translations help people along if needed. I know I felt a binding together with the other parishioners during the Latin Mass that I hadn't felt elsewhere. There was something equalizing about the Latin, not to mention sublime and even divine.

The aforementioned objection reminds me of a ridiculous argument I had a couple years ago with an Episcopalian on the matter. I made the same points I've made in this thread, and this person practically flew into a rage. It was one of the first times I saw the same kind of emotional appeal strategy that we see being used by the left in politics at every juncture today. This person told me they felt "physically ill" because of my love of the Latin Mass, they were convinced that it robs people of an opportunity to have a relationship with Jesus.

Talk about absurd.

17. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,851
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    In an age of jet travel, there would be certain advantages if that was still true.

18. Rhamiel

+8,659
    Catholic
    Single
    Not just jet travel like tourists
    But in an age of multicultural societies with large numbers of diverse nationalities making up the population of every major city

19. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+6,851
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    That too, yes.