Ordained by God or Just Too Hopeful?

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm Having A Bit Of A Relationship Problem; Can You Please Help?

First of all, I want to thank you fellow believers for viewing this topic.
I don't want to make this too terribly long, but perhaps I can provide enough information regarding my circumstances to where you readers may be able to help me out.

You see, I met this woman in the spring semester of college last year, and towards the end when we discovered we were both Christians, we decided to keep in touch. It seems to be we had always been attracted to one another, but it wasn't until we met up a few times later that we started thinking about things. We went on a couple dates, and soon we discovered that we shared a spiritual connection that one rarely finds in another person. Furthermore, we both seemed to be seeing "signs" that our relationship was going to be a blessing from the Lord, and one night after we had been discussing what we want out of life, our feelings were so alike that I thought "this may be the one," because I decided long before that I was going to entrust the Lord to bring me the one He wanted for me.

Here's the problem. She moved to study at UCLA. She came down to visit a couple times, and it seemed to be our spiritual connection was so great that we were soon going to fall in love. We did. We found ourselves calling one another several times a day, our conversations running seriously on what kind of a marriage we wanted, how we both wanted to become missionaries, etc. We didn't discuss things on much of a romantic level, for fear of attachment, but the heavy conversations continued until one evening where we both spilled out hearts out. We are both young and have much to do before we could think of becoming involved, and we have to make our relationship with Jesus our first priority. Yet we both agreed that if it is the Lord's will, as she said" her people would be my people, and she'd follow me wherever she went," to quote the book of Ruth. But the infatuation just got too unhealthy, and the Lord suddenly took away the obsession from both of us on the same day. However, I becoming frightened, clung to the feelings anyway after I saw what He had done. The feelings consumed we until I told this girl that we had to stop. Now we have decided to be just friends until the circumstances are available to resume the courtship process.

But here's the thing: We were intoxicated with one another, but Jesus was always the foundation of our relationship. However, it seemed to be that the enemy caused us to drink of the fruit of the vine before we were ready. The intoxication, like alcohol, caused us to behave foolishly (not sexually, but emotional purity was an issue). She got over the hangover quickly, but as we know, some people still want to drink to make the hangover go away.

I received a dream from the Lord it seems, that appears to have been confirmed by the Song of Solomon. Further, I believe the Lord has promised me this relationship. But now things are somewhat difficult. The biggest problem is that I'm an extremist, in that I'm all or nothing. I'm having a problem deiscerning whether or not these "signs" are my own creation or of the Lord. For instance, last night I was going to randomly open my Bible to see if anything ministered to me on this whole, confusing issue. When I opened it, it opened to the page where I seemed to have my Song of Solomon dream confirmed.My eye was immediately caught to a verse that says "do not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." Like the young man in the thread "Relationships and the Lord," I am also wondering if I should forget this or if this whole situation was Him saying not to get too attached. But being the extremnist I am, I wonder if I should dismiss the whole thing as my own hogwash that I subjected this poor girl to and juust remain friends. Does God work like this? What shall I do?

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
katelyn said:
Have you ever read Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot? In it, she tells her love story, which may be an inspiration to you.
So I take it that her story is similar? You see, I believe we can work together well for the the purpose of furthering the Kingdom. We both want to be missionaries.

Upvote 0

John the Engineer

1 Cor 13:4
Dec 31, 2003
Woodland Hills, CA
✟8,030.00
Faith
Protestant
I am totally the same "all or nothing" sort of person. Sometimes we forget that the Lord knows us better than even we know ourselves.

You're right to keep the Lord first. Pray for his guidance. In the end if you stick to that you'll come out ok. But for your current situation...

If you're saying that he took away the "infatuation" I'm not sure how you're posing that. It doesn't sound like you lost the feelings, but lost the childlike love. This is a sobering of love that happens. After awhile it stops being a giggling giddy love and becomes a real true love. But what is love really? Love is wanting to serve, to be there, to put the other's happiness first.

In my relationship I finally had to start realizing that if the Lord didn't have for us to be together it was because he had something better, for both of us. And as much as you love this girl, if you do truly love her then you want the Lord's best for her, which may or may not be you!

You say she's gone to UCLA, but where are you? My girlfriend and I are separated by about 30 miles when she's at home and 50 miles when she's at school (She goes to UC Irvine) I've driven that to see her a lot. And with my school and work schedule I was putting 200+ miles a day on the car. But I did it because I loved her and wanted to be there for her. And the Lord gave me energy and finance to do it.

You need to start praying if the Lord truly has this relationship for you then make a way. And if the Lord has told you that this relationship is for you then you need to stop playing with it and lay hold of it. We often times want to play little games and be careful but you need to tell her how you feel, be honest and open with what the Lord has brought to your heart. And if she feels it confirmed in her heart then you pursue an honest and open relationship based in what the Lord puts in each of your hearts. Remember that she should be your prayer partner through it all, as well as others.

Put him first, seek his will, and as you draw closer to the Lord you may, or may not, find yourself right next to her.

Upvote 0

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
John the Engineer said:
If you're saying that he took away the "infatuation" I'm not sure how you're posing that. It doesn't sound like you lost the feelings, but lost the childlike love. This is a sobering of love that happens. After awhile it stops being a giggling giddy love and becomes a real true love. But what is love really? Love is wanting to serve, to be there, to put the other's happiness first.
I think we are both afraid of the "true love." We don't want to get hurt. We are seperated by hundreds of miles and we are still in may ways spiritual infants. When I say "infatuation," I mean that kind of giddy obsession where you can't hardly focus throughout the day and your mind is constantly on the other person. When I say He took the infatuation away, I mean that the feelings started becoming so intense, and I wanted her so badly, that it became painful, because I couldn't have her. And I've gathered that it was the same situation for her, too, because she felt that I was taking her attention away from the Lord, because she thought about me so much. We both agree that we have never experienced a spiritual connectedness with another person like this, and in many ways, we're all each other has in terms of spiritual support. So, I really want to be there for her at every moment of every day. I want to be selfless in my love, and support her in every way I can, since we're both going through emotionally tough times. We're both lonely, and got attached too quick.
In my relationship I finally had to start realizing that if the Lord didn't have for us to be together it was because he had something better, for both of us. And as much as you love this girl, if you do truly love her then you want the Lord's best for her, which may or may not be you!
I know that I may not be for her. She is moving towards a successful career while I'm having a hard time even feeding myself. So the deal with my being the patriarch provider is certainly in doubt.

You say she's gone to UCLA, but where are you? My girlfriend and I are separated by about 30 miles when she's at home and 50 miles when she's at school (She goes to UC Irvine) I've driven that to see her a lot. And with my school and work schedule I was putting 200+ miles a day on the car. But I did it because I loved her and wanted to be there for her. And the Lord gave me energy and finance to do it.
I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area. She visits me whenever she comes to Santa Cruz to see her parents.

You need to start praying if the Lord truly has this relationship for you then make a way. And if the Lord has told you that this relationship is for you then you need to stop playing with it and lay hold of it. We often times want to play little games and be careful but you need to tell her how you feel, be honest and open with what the Lord has brought to your heart. And if she feels it confirmed in her heart then you pursue an honest and open relationship based in what the Lord puts in each of your hearts.
You see, the thing is that during this whole deal, we were on the same page every day we spoke. Although I'm having a harder time accepting it, we both agreed that we were scared to become dependent on one another emotionally, just in case it is the Lord's will that we not be together. She felt that it did seem that the Lord brought us together, that I have many desired qualities as a spouse, and that if we not be together, she would want someone very similar to me. And I feel the same way. All of our problems are circumstances: age, location, school, etc. We were kind of dropped into each other's laps and don't know what to do. We are so afraid, but we want each other very badly. It became so intense for us that we would cry. It was not going well. So, its almost like we want the feelings to go away entirely.

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is my advice. Stop worrying!! Just relax, and focus all these efforts on Jesus, and watch how things line up. Sometimes you just have to make choices in faith; but be sure to use your head, and follow the spirit.

Personally, I would wait to see if God does not want you to continue. If you feel that God is not telling you to back away, then brother, get some flowers, fill up the gas tank, and show that lady wassup!

Upvote 0

John the Engineer

1 Cor 13:4
Dec 31, 2003
Woodland Hills, CA
✟8,030.00
Faith
Protestant
DaveKerwin said:
Personally, I would wait to see if God does not want you to continue. If you feel that God is not telling you to back away, then brother, get some flowers, fill up the gas tank, and show that lady wassup!

Amen brotha! :clap: Could not have put it better myself.

Remember that we are called to enter boldly into the plans the Lord has for us. You need to really seek the Lord, remember that relationships mean sacrifices, and go forward with the Lord. He will make the plans before you and make the way straight. God calls us to do things that are way out of the normal.

And like he said, if God is not telling you to back away, then get the flowers. Heck, if she's at UCLA I'll even tell you where to take her for dinner! (I live about 20 minutes away from UCLA) PM me, we'll talk the best dinner places in town!

Here's something to munch on in the "financial" category. When I started dating my girlfriend I would take her out regularly, we would always be going out to eat, going to do stuff, and I'd just throw it all on the credit card. As I paid for things, even the most extravagent (sp?) I would just put it on the credit card and pray that the Lord would provide, AND HE DID. I spent $300 on theatre tickets and getting my suit altered, and I got work to cover it. Since we've taken a break and haven't been doing much or going out, I haven't gotten one call for work (I'm an independent contractor) I have had no need for money and it's amazing how much I've just seen work dry up.

Trust in the Lord, for he will provide! If you feel called to be with her, trust in him, be there for her, and wait on his providence to give you what you need. Who knows, maybe he'll call you to move down here, and if he does know that your future is ahead of you with the Lord by your side! DON'T BE AFRAID, ENTER BOLDLY INTO HIS PRECENSE AND INTO HIS WILL!!!

Upvote 0

AnthonyForChrist

Seeker of Messiah
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
John the Engineer said:
DON'T BE AFRAID, ENTER BOLDLY INTO HIS PRECENSE AND INTO HIS WILL!!!
I'm not too concerned on my part. I will go wherever the Lord takes me. However, this girl has consistently expressed her unwillingness to engage into a relationship at this point in time, and is seemingly trying to let go of her feelings for me so that she can pursue her relationship with Christ. I cannot interfere with that, no matter how much we (or just myself) want to be with her.

Upvote 0

DaveKerwin

Represent the Most High
May 31, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟21,031.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is exactly why I suggested that you work on your relationship with Christ. Trust that God knows your desires, and that he will grant the desires of your heart if you lean your ways towards him. Just serve Christ and go with where you feel God leading you. Remember, when you hear from God, it is because you are listening to him. How will you be able to hear from God if you are not praying often and reading the Bible often? This is why if you focus on Christ and spending time with him, things will become clearer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh my goodness. Anthony, you should talk to me. My story is insanely similar to yours, right down to the "signs." I'd love to trade stories with you, and maybe we can pray for each other.... :)

Upvote 0