Land of Hiawatha
✟1,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would like opinions on the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I did a search for past posts on these forums, but would appreciate feedback from Christians on this new version, now that it has received more exposure and the entire Bible has been published.

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I don't use it. And at last I have the verse reference!
Matthew 9:18. The HCS says that the daughter is "near death."
I have no idea how they came up with that.
Granted, by the end of the story the girl does die. But in verse 18 there is no reason to say she is "near death" when all other evidence points to the fact that she has just died.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
I don't like the fact that it follows the ct text created from the imaginations of so-called "scholars," for example it puts Matthew 18:11 in brackets as if it is doubtful. If they think that "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost" is doubtful they've got serious problems!

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I own a copy of the complete HCSB.

It's a fine translation. It's theologically conservative and overall accurate. It is a good mix of modern English with word accuracy.

So far, I've only seen one area where I wish they'd used a different translation. In 2 Timothy 3:16 this version uses the term "inspired." I prefer to see "God-breathed" or "Breathed out by God." It is, in my opinion, a more faithful translation of the Greek.

We'll see if this translation catches on......

Upvote 0

eutychus

the phlegmatic one
Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
I just own a New Testament of this translation, but from what I've heard--and read--it seems to be a gem. In the New Testament I have, it clearly differentiates between manuscripts from which it was compiled, so that's pleasant to see (though I know there are plenty of other translations that do this, it seems like it stands out more in this translation). The English is very readable, and it sticks as close to the original language while using contemporary language and not going liberal.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Check out the full bible. You can get it for only about $10.

I don't know if the NT-only versions do this but the full text Bible has all the NT verses that are quoted in the OT in bold type. It almost leaps off the page at you.

One silght problem that I noticed. The red- letter text is a little too light in some areas. This makes it hard to read in some lighting conditions. Of course, this is a printing problem and has nothing to do with the text itself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.