Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been trying to do the whole baby thing. Some costs can't be avoided like crib, diapers etc but some can. Most of his cloths are second hand garage sale finds, same with my matenity cloths.

Anyways, what stuff do you think from your experience is a complete waste of money?

I'm trying to understand those play gyms...wouldn't a blanket with a few toys be the same thing?

This is also important because we'll be living in a one-bedroom for at least the first year so space is very important.

R

RoseofLima

The baby gyms have been a nice thing for us. Before the baby can actually grip toys, mine have all enjoyed looking at and swatting at the baby gym toys. We have a very cheap Fisher Price one--that has clippies where you can change around the toys and change the lengths. I think it was about $15. As they got older, the toys (especially the clippies) have been really nice to have around, because they are easy to grip. It has been nice when I needed to fold laundry --or if the baby really just wanted to be down and stretch out.

One of the things which I have never had- is a bouncy seat--and I know there are many parents for whom those are an essential piece of equipment. I rhink a lot of the choices that are out there really depend on the temperment of yourchild, the style of parenting you and your hubby find suits you and your child best, and your personal circumstances and preferences.

I personally would wait on buying anything more than the very basic (somewhere to sleep-or whatever is needed to make sure where they will sleep is safe, blankets, clothes, diapers, and whatever is needed for feeding--and of course for me a sling :) ) Everything else I would wait on until the baby's needs and wants grow a little more complex (around 6-8 weeks). By that time, you will know the temperment of your baby, and the way that you and your husbnad want to respond.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Waiting is a good idea. All mine children have different temperments. A swing was essential with my first, but my second hated it. I also have the play gym that Rose of Lima mentioned. But again my second child could have cared less. My third loved it. It was really cheap and I liked that it didn't make noise. He still plays with the rings at 16 months. I wouldn't have bought a bouncy seat on my own but someone gave one to us adn I have used it with all three of them. We used it as the "safe" seat when we had more than one. When the baby was in the seat our other children knew that the baby was not to be touched or bothered.

Upvote 0

Primrose

Innocent Bystander
Nov 13, 2004
GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found the crib to be a waste of money, ended up cosleeping and the crib was a fancy stuffed animal holder. :lol

anyway my kids enjoyed the baby gyms, it gave them excersize when they batted the toys around. And it would generally keep them happy long enough for me to make a potty run or throw a load of laundry in. Bouncy seat, same thing really. You don't really have to have a huge fancy gym IMO. But a few hanging toys for a small infant can be handy.

Upvote 0

HeKnowsMyName

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Jawja!
✟69,974.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it will be hard to know exactly what will be a waste of money for you until after the baby gets here. For instance, my oldest loved her bouncy seat. The baby hates it. My oldest hated the swing, my baby loves it.

I want an activity mat but they are just too much!!! I'm afraid we won't get enough use out of it to warrant spending what they cost.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,887.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the biggest waste of money for us was the baby swing. I didn't know there were kids who hated them, and both of ours did:doh:. On the other hand a few of the shower gifts we got that I scratched my head at were some of the best things we got - a baby gym, play mat, bouncy seat.

I like the idea of waiting too.

Upvote 0

romans324

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2006
USA
✟18,384.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have seen places that sell reused baby equipment they are a little more thena gargage sale but cheaper then new. You can look up online or even in the phone book Goodwill and Salvation Army are good places to look. But I do agree with some of the other posts waiting isn't fun but can save you money on what the baby likes. A swing was a great plus for us but for other a waste of money. Any personal name brand things are wastes and so is a dipaer trash can or diaper genie. And also a crib skirt I never liked skirts for cribs or beds. Hope this helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jazzbird

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2004
Wisconsin
✟19,741.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It will really depend on your babe and your lifestyle.

For instance, we have a very hands on approach, so we co-sleep. DS has never used his crib once. Though we plan on using it when he's older (it converts into a toddler bed), we could easily have gotten by without it.

We have a bouncy seat, a play gym and a swing. The bouncy seat is used daily. DS has reflux, so if I'm not holding him when he sleeps, I put him in the seat so he's not laying flat. He hated the swing the first two months, and just lately he has been okay in it for short periods of time. I'll move it into the hallway and leave the door open while I take a shower. Definetely not needed. The gym, he likes, but I could just as easily play with him on the floor without it.

You can find a lot of good things that are barely used at rummage sales. That's often a good way to go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It will really depend on your babe and your lifestyle.

For instance, we have a very hands on approach, so we co-sleep. DS has never used his crib once. Though we plan on using it when he's older (it converts into a toddler bed), we could easily have gotten by without it.

About the crib, its better to have one though even if its just laying around. My friends are very AP parenting (I am the only non cosleeper :cool: ) and one of them got reported for something really silly to CPS and they came to check out her house, and she didn't have a crib and they do take note of that.... its considered the proper thing to do, to have a crib. Although a Pack N Play would work so long as you show you have somewhere for baby to sleep that fits into their box.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
With my RA co-sleeping at night won't be possible but I do plan on it during naps when DH it at work so I don't have to get up as much.

CFS can be a pain, friends of mine from church got reported for "lack of proper baby food" when really they just didn't buy the jars of food.

So what happened? Were they forced to buy jars of baby food?

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what happened? Were they forced to buy jars of baby food?

No, they had to take their children(all them them even the older ones) to the health dept for a check up to proove they weren't starving or something.

Sad, people can let their kids live on mac and cheese and lucky charms but if you steam your own veggies for baby food, you get child services called.

Upvote 0