Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey ladies..
Did/Would you have your other children in the room?

We had my son in there until family arrived, and he was taken out because the heart rate dropped 5 times being in there so there's was tons of people in my room.... My son was 11 at the time..

But, we haven't decided if we want Carlei to be in there.. she'll be 2 or almost 2 when Sophie is born. Any suggestions from woman who've done this?
I'll have family and friends there to watch her during it all.

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow you have a son! He's the one that went for adoption right? I didn't know you had an open adoption!

Okay so back to topic at hand.... I didn't bring my son in there and I was glad I didn't because I was pretty looney. The thing is wouldn't you essentially have to watch her then? Do you want that distraction? How do you feel about it? Some women do it.... I don't think I ever will, I don't want my kids seeing all that ;)

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that a delivery room is an appropriate place for a child to be. Sometimes things can get very intense and I wouldn't want my child to be scared that mommy was hurt, and plus the delivery itsself is nothing a child should see IMO. Emily will be out in the waiting room with the rest of the family with our next one.

Reactions: GolfingMom
Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and plus the delivery itsself is nothing a child should see IMO.

I have to disagree with you though, because I have friends who had peaceful homebirths with their children fully present. Giving birth is perfectly natural and in many societies in the past (and possibly some in the present) children, particularly girl children, could be present. Some women are very close to their children to where they feel comfortable sharing that with them, and perhaps women as adults would be less scared (and less ignorant about it) had they seen birth as they were growing up. We are such a Puritan society, hiding away birth, hushing sex, its just weird sometimes IMO. Its no wonder our kids grow up being so ignorant about the whole life process. That being said, I still don't want my children there.... it would have been so distracting, and I am not a peaceful birther. Some women are. And when something might be going wrong they can be ushered out of the room while mommy is being taken care of.

Upvote 0

KillerV

Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
✟17,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My sister is being flown down here just for that reason,to stay with my 1 1/2 year old son. God willing I haven't gone into labor. I just have no other place for him. I really don't want to have to worry about him while I am in labor and I want my hubby's full attention.haha.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I have wanted my kids at all my births-- it just never quite worked out, though :)

Next baby (God willing) will be at home so hopefully they'll get to be there.

Perrsonally I think 2 is a little young, because it is a long, long wait at the hospital. They are also rather young to understand and prepare. With my kids- we watch some birth videos, we make birth "noises" together, we talk about what migt happen, we talk about potential complications.

At the hospital- I planned to have a support person for each child--(things happened so quickly they didn't have time to get there)--and stressed to my children that it was okay for them to change their mind and leave the room if they were frightened or overwhelmed. I was going to leave my 2 year old w/ grandma, though.

I have been at lots of births with siblings present-- I have never seen it go badly, even when there were some emergency situations with the babies.

It all really matters what you--as the birthing woman wants and makes you best able to feel relaxed. There is no detriment in bonding (in my experience) with coming to meet baby ASAP after birth.

I heartily disagree that this is something kids shouldn't see...I think more people would grow up holding life sacred if they got to see more babies being born :)

Upvote 0

Thankful4HIM

Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow you have a son! He's the one that went for adoption right? I didn't know you had an open adoption!

Okay so back to topic at hand.... I didn't bring my son in there and I was glad I didn't because I was pretty looney. The thing is wouldn't you essentially have to watch her then? Do you want that distraction? How do you feel about it? Some women do it.... I don't think I ever will, I don't want my kids seeing all that ;)
yeah, I have a son.. but he doesn't live with me.. he lives with my parents... no he's not adopted.. just lives with them...

Well, we didn't want him in there because I thought it'd be too much for him... he was pretty much only in there until my bro and his gf arrived... then he kicked out after that.. due to above explained reasons....
My labors tend to be SUPER fast... The dr's said I almost delivered in the car with Carlei.. I got there, got on the bed, dialated to 5, within 15-20 mins I was pushing... and out with 4 pushes, took long because she was facing up...

anyhow lol... I haven't really decided if I want her in there, I won't be able to care for her.. but my mom and 2 friends will be there, plus my dad and other family will probably be in the waiting room... I was just getting responses to see what others have done.....

Upvote 0

Thankful4HIM

Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have wanted my kids at all my births-- it just never quite worked out, though :)

Next baby (God willing) will be at home so hopefully they'll get to be there.

Perrsonally I think 2 is a little young, because it is a long, long wait at the hospital. They are also rather young to understand and prepare. With my kids- we watch some birth videos, we make birth "noises" together, we talk about what migt happen, we talk about potential complications.

At the hospital- I planned to have a support person for each child--(things happened so quickly they didn't have time to get there)--and stressed to my children that it was okay for them to change their mind and leave the room if they were frightened or overwhelmed. I was going to leave my 2 year old w/ grandma, though.

I have been at lots of births with siblings present-- I have never seen it go badly, even when there were some emergency situations with the babies.

It all really matters what you--as the birthing woman wants and makes you best able to feel relaxed. There is no detriment in bonding (in my experience) with coming to meet baby ASAP after birth.

I heartily disagree that this is something kids shouldn't see...I think more people would grow up holding life sacred if they got to see more babies being born :)

With me both labors at the hospital have been under an hour... so the wait isn't that long.. luckily!! :pray: lol

I'd think it might be a great experience for her to be there during the birth of her little sister, because I'm not having anymore children... she probably won't even remember it after the first night anyhow...(but she could)... But, I know I'll people there to take care of her... and I'm not very vocal during my labors... they're always trying to get me to breathe properly and I usually squeeze the mess out the rails or my hair LOL.. then during pshing I ask for meds and a c-section LOL LOL
BUTTT, I'm convincing myself to handle labor differently this time.. to breathe with them... to know that it won't be long, and I don't need meds or c-section (hopefully), both births have been natural I can do it again LOL Man i'm looking forward to this LOL

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Don't worry about the breathing so much-- as relaxing :) Relax your shoulders and your mouth--having a nice soft open mouth helps your dilate :)

It sounds like you know what you want to do- and that you would have plenty of people there to watch your daughter. I would try to get your hands on a book or a video so y'all can watch it together-- or even watch a couple episodes of A Baby Story (I can't believe I just suggested that- I HATE that show!) together. You might want to talk a little about the blood-- as that can freak kids out if they're not expecting it!

I figure it all goes how God wants it to go..if she's meant to be there- it'll work out that way :)

LOL! It's great to hear other women who look forward to birth! For now- I think I have overcome my fear of labor that plagued me during my last pregnancy:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thankful4HIM

Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
soft open mouth.. ok, i'll try to remember that.. LOL

i'm really looking forward to the birth... I know it's gonna hurt.. inevitable.. but the experience is beyond words... and it's going to be my last (god willing) so, I really wanna try to do my best and relax more....
I was laying in bed lastnight, as she was moving around, and it hit me (does that at random times) that there's a realllllllllllllllllll baby in there.. a real baby... a baby.. another human being.. another child... I'm still dumb founded at that sometimes.. and I'm gonna have another little baby in my house... I look forward to it LOL

watch me post a few weeks later... oh brother why another LOL

I'll have to try to get my hands on a video or something.. I don't have cable... so.. yeah.. but I'll look around and stuff

Upvote 0
B

Beth1231

If I had answered this question two days ago, I would have simply said "No thanks, it's not for me", but now I think I'm maybe rethinking that. The beginnings of a change of heart came last night at my childbirth class. One of the moms told me that the first memory she has is of her baby brother being born (she was four). She said that she wasn't in the room during the painful laboring process, just the very end when he was actually birthed and her mom held him. I thought that was pretty neat and my first memory is also of my baby brother, but in that case it was seeing mom holding him wrapped in a blanket home from the hospital. There is a bit of a difference between the two kinds of memories, I think. Anyway....I just might consider it in the future, but it would only be the tail end of the birth and call my prude, but I would keep the sibling down by my head.
Tashia, I think it's a personal decision made family by family just like nursing and cosleeping and lots of other things. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thankful4HIM

Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOL! I don't care about modesty one iota while I am birthing....and normally I am very modest in my dress.

The picture I totally want is where the baby's head is born- but the body is still inside. I think I might keep having babies until I get that photo :D
those are good photo's honestly...
I would also like that... i may ask hubby to try to do that.. but we'll 100% edit the pic afterwards so that's it's not showing anything....
I don't know that he will because he said he doesn't want to look down there it'll change his perspective LOL ^_^

Upvote 0

Thankful4HIM

Legend
Dec 27, 2005
✟42,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I personally don't think I'd have siblings at the birth, because of the whole seeing me naked thing. But my thoughts could change when the situation comes up. :)
the only part of me that has been seen as naked is below the waist obviously... otherwise I stay VErY covered up LOL

Upvote 0