Y

Yeznik

Here is some more detail regarding the Armenian Church and the Byzantine Church.

An Excerpt from
The Orthodox Church in the Byzantine Empire
By J. M. Hussey

The Emperor also attempted to promote monenergism in Armenia where Ezra had become Catholicos. Greek, Syrian, and Armenian sources vary in their accounts of relations between Byzantium and the Armenian Church but it is likely that Armenian opposition to Chalcedon arose not so much from doctrinal dissent from a council where they had not been present as from hostility towards the subordination of Armenia to the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Constantinople. In Syria and Palestine Heraclius did rather better in getting support, and monotheletism was to survive under Muslim domination.

Upvote 0
Y

Yeznik

Regarding the the "two natures" of Christ and the "one nature".

The EO has defined Christ having two natures while the OO state that Christ has one nature.

One point I would like to bring up, is regarding grammer.

In Armenian the term two natures doesn't make sense grammatically, its like saying;

I need to get a hairs cut. Or my left feets hurt. Or I have a bad heads ache.

• Informative
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
orthedoxy said:
We are a lot closer to RC then EO, RC have declared that what happened at the council of Chelcedon was a misunderstanding therefore we should work together toward a unity with them, EO can't make such claim because they have no one voice that speaks for them.

we are a lot closer to RC !! ofcourse you mean closer in the relations
but not in theology or traditions
we don't agree with the RC in alot of things and the EO don't agree about those things too
if you put the 4th council problem aside , we are very closer to the EO

Upvote 0

Vedant

Veteran
Oct 4, 2003
✟2,245.00
Faith
Christian
I've been extremely interested in participating and perhaps joining OO, EO, or RCC, although I have a strong personal bias against the Roman Catholic Church for personal reasons. Anyway, the fact that the EO churches and OO churches have pretty much stayed the same without any major schisms or reformations since about 1000 and 1500 years ago respectively is the most compelling case for me to participate more in those faith traditions. The one key difference I see between coptic churches and eastern orthodox churches is papal primacy. While the RCC and the OO have popes, the EO doesn't. For some reason, this makes me more inclined to explore the EO first. If it wasn't for Christian Forums, I'd have kept living in oblivion of Christian church history.... sigh

we shall see.

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,040.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Vedant said:
I've been extremely interested in participating and perhaps joining OO, EO, or RCC, although I have a strong personal bias against the Roman Catholic Church for personal reasons. Anyway, the fact that the EO churches and OO churches have pretty much stayed the same without any major schisms or reformations since about 1000 and 1500 years ago respectively is the most compelling case for me to participate more in those faith traditions. The one key difference I see between coptic churches and eastern orthodox churches is papal primacy. While the RCC and the OO have popes, the EO doesn't. For some reason, this makes me more inclined to explore the EO first. If it wasn't for Christian Forums, I'd have kept living in oblivion of Christian church history.... sigh

we shall see.

Within the OO Church, there is the Indian Orthodox Church, since I see you are from India:thumbsup:

As for the Pope, a Coptic Pope is different from a Roman Pope. I've explained this in the other forum.

God bless.

PS By the way, the EO Church does in fact have a Pope. The Greek Patriarch of Alexandria is also called "Pope."

Upvote 0

Vedant

Veteran
Oct 4, 2003
✟2,245.00
Faith
Christian
minasoliman said:
Within the OO Church, there is the Indian Orthodox Church, since I see you are from India:thumbsup:

As for the Pope, a Coptic Pope is different from a Roman Pope. I've explained this in the other forum.

God bless.

PS By the way, the EO Church does in fact have a Pope. The Greek Patriarch of Alexandria is also called "Pope."

Could you point me to where you explained the difference?

Also, I thought the patriarch of constantine was the pope equivalent in the EO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Xpycoctomos said:
i'd like to read it. I kjnow there is a difference... but I am interested in the details of that difference. can anyone link it, or, (as this sticky is a bit old) re-explain this difference?

we believe in same thing about our lord Jesus Christ but we explain our views in diffrent ways

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Coptic,

my post was in reference to the issue being discussed above which was not about the natures of Christ. it's regarding the difference between how the Catholics view their pope and how you view their pope. I know that you do not view your pope as supreme leader of the Church, but there was apparently some intresting details in some "other forum" as mentioned by minasoliman. But I have no idea where the thread is and what "other forum" this is. So I am interested in reading aobut that.

John

Upvote 0

Alchemist

Seeking in Orthodoxy
Jun 13, 2004
✟8,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Xpycoctomos said:
Coptic,

my post was in reference to the issue being discussed above which was not about the natures of Christ. it's regarding the difference between how the Catholics view their pope and how you view their pope. I know that you do not view your pope as supreme leader of the Church, but there was apparently some intresting details in some "other forum" as mentioned by minasoliman. But I have no idea where the thread is and what "other forum" this is. So I am interested in reading aobut that.

John

Hi Xpycoctomos,

Basically the Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church is called a "Pope" in English, as opposed to a "Patriarch". But apart from the difference in terminology, the concept is exactly the same as in the Eastern Orthodox churches.

Peace,
Nick

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. It just seems like there was a bit more of an emphasis on Pope Shenouda than we might put on a particular Patriarch in the EOC. Not a wrong emphasis by any means. Not as if he has any special powers that other patriarchs don't have (I know you don't believe this). So relaly I was just curious, and not at all trying to find some "fatal flaw" in you system.

Thanks for the response!

John

Upvote 0