✟83,975.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Case #1 in 1 Corinthians 14:
13Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret.
Who is he?

He is the speaker.

Case #2:
27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
Who is that someone?

That's someone who has heard the tongue speech.

The person who speaks in a tongue can interpret his own speech or some hearer can interpret his speech. Both cases are possible.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An example is in a church service and a message in tongues is given. If there isn't an interpretation, then the message in tongues stops after 3 attempts.

Some may wonder why there wouldn't be an interpretation. One possible explanation is the believer who has not been given an interpretation previously and they are asking the Lord for confirmation before speaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
An example is in a church service and a message in tongues is given. If there isn't an interpretation, then the message in tongues stops after 3 attempts.

That's absolutely incorrect. The Holy Spirit is not going to give out anymore spoken messages until the first is properly interpreted.

The interpretation of a tongues message is waited upon until The Lord provides it. We have had to wait about a minute at times until the interpretation was given through someone.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is waiting for the interpretation. The believer speaking in tongues to be interpreted does not go on endlessly. An interpretation is expected. But sometimes, "But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God."( I Cor 14::28). Some may wonder why there would be a message in tongues for interpretation and there's no interpretation. One possible explanation is the believer who has not been given an interpretation previously and they are asking the Lord for confirmation before speaking. Or they expected God to give them the entire interpretation when they only received a small portion in the beginning.

Sometimes the believer that speaks in tongues for interpretation is given the interpretation.

Also, it is an interpretation - not a translation. We can't expect the number of words in the message to match the length of the interpretation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree someone needs to interpret or there should be silence. Sometimes you may not be certain if there is an interpreter or not. If I may also suggest that tongues given as evidence of the baptism of the spirit is not the same as the gift "various kinds of tongues" listed in the gifts of the spirit. From the former you can pray and be edified, from the latter it is a prodding by the Holy Spirit to speak in a service that the tongue will be interpreted. If the Holy Spirit is not prodding a tongue specifically for that service, there likely is no interpretation. I suppose too that sometimes an interpreter may miss God. It is like someone calling out healings. Sometimes no one comes forward. Is it because the call is fake or is it because someone simply refuses to come forward? What is worse than no interpretation is a church that either does not give the time for this or one that believed the gifts have ceased. I guess I have only seen about 40 tongues and interpretations in decades. I recall a couple of misses which don't seem significant.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Case #1 in 1 Corinthians 14:

Who is he?

He is the speaker.

Case #2:

Who is that someone?

That's someone who has heard the tongue speech.

The person who speaks in a tongue can interpret his own speech or some hearer can interpret his speech. Both cases are possible.
So that means that you do speak in tongues during a meeting and then give the interpretation? If you are going to make a comment, then you need to be shown as setting the example.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Some may wonder why there wouldn't be an interpretation. One possible explanation is the believer who has not been given an interpretation previously and they are asking the Lord for confirmation before speaking.
I think that Paul is teaching that there should be two or three tongues messages and interpretations, not three uninterpreted attempts. Also, I think that there needs to be good teaching about what should happen when there is tongues and interpretation. Problems happen when people launch out in tongues hoping that there will be an interpretation and then are embarrassed when it doesn't happen, and that puts them off doing it again.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only seen 1 miss in decades. It was at a service where numerous churches had come together. When it was spoken, everyone just remained quiet with some praying. Then the interpretation was spoken and there was an immediate acceptance by the congregation. We realize that we're imperfect vessels and no comment was made to the original interpreter that I'm aware of. But the message was very encouraging.

Also, you can tell the difference between tongues spoken and those spoken for interpretation.

The reasons why someone doesn't come forward on the call for healing are numerous and doesn't mean the call is in error. Would thank the Lord anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0