✟16,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
to spay and neuter your pets.

I watched a small 4 week old kitten die today. He was a little orange male. I went into the Isolation room after feeding all the healthier cats in the main cat room to find this little kitten that looked like it was dead, lying on his side. He was skinny and his eyes and nose were sick. I picked him up, and he meowed a very painful meow. He gasped for air. I knew it then that he wouldn't last through the night. I held him against my chest and sat against the wall. Dustin, my boyfriend, was with me at the humane society volunteering. We sat there petting and keeping him warm and loved for probably 30 minutes or more. We prayed for him. It was unlikely he could be saved, though I had considered taking him home anyway. So I prayed that if God would take him, that He do it quickly so that that poor little kitten would not have to suffer any more than he already had. And then we sat and waited as he would twitch, gasp, and cry until he gasped his last breath and stopped moving. I pressed my finger under his little leg and against his ribcage. I felt a small weak heartbeat. I felt for it again, and I felt nothing. He died in the both of our hands. But we weren't the only One holding him. What a good and wonderful God He is. If He had not taken him then when we had him in our hands, he would have died alone and cold.

He shouldn't have had to die that way. He shouldn't have ended up in a shelter in the first place.

Please, spay and neuter your pets. I don't care if it is "just" a cat. Cats are induced ovulators. They ovulate when they are bred. They have VERY high pregnancy rates. And sooo many cats end up in shelters. We kill hundreds of cats a year. And then there are some like this kitten that get so sick and die. It doesn't have to be this way. Please don't continue to make people like me clean up after your messes. Spay and neuter your pets. It is the only responsible thing to do.

Aeris

Feb 1, 2008
✟8,182.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You are right people should spay and neuter their pets. Its a good thing that you help animals but you really need to stop telling people to stop putting their responsiblity on you, you chose to work there and had to have known that they euthanize animals before you started. Also cats are induced ovulators but they still have to be in heat to ovulate (although, after their first heat they come into heat every couple weeks until they are bred or spayed).

Upvote 0

tessas212

Dog Behavior Consultant
Jul 16, 2006
Ohio
✟16,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Its a good thing that you help animals but you really need to stop telling people to stop putting their responsiblity on you, you chose to work there and had to have known that they euthanize animals before you started. Also cats are induced ovulators but they still have to be in heat to ovulate (although, after their first heat they come into heat every couple weeks until they are bred or spayed).

If they do not own up to their responsibilities, SOMEONE has to. And I have every right to be angry, upset, saddened, and overwhelmed by animal suffering and overpopulation, as well as every right to educate others and encourage them to spay and neuter their animals.

We have no choice but to euthanize animals. Not until people begin to be responsible. We are not at fault; the irresponsible owners are. We are only there to show whatever amount of love and care we can until they find a home, or die in the arms of someone that cares.

I could easily work at a place that never kills animal.. but I don't fancy running away from problems. I don't encourage hiding and ignoring it. I advocate addressing it and fixing it.

Of course the animal has to be in heat to ovulate. Did you assume that I did not know that? lol

Upvote 0

tessas212

Dog Behavior Consultant
Jul 16, 2006
Ohio
✟16,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most all of the dog forums I'm on, in fact, have a section entirely for this - for remembrances of dogs that have past. It's a comforting and nice little way to think.

One day it would be nice to see all the animals I'd ever helped on that rainbow bridge. Just to see them happy and playing and no more pain.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟333,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry you lost the little kitten,Your right I wish more people would get there animals fixed,Even though kittens and dogs are so cute.We have so many Cats over here in the neighbor hood that aren't fixed and they keep getting the stray cats pregnant.And now I feel guilty for trapping the kittens in a cage and taking them away from there mom.She's such a good mom too.It so sad.Know I'm taking care of 3 of her kitten so I can tame them and hopefully find them a good home.I feel like the momma cat is just giving me the saddest look.I feel like cats actually take better care of there kittens than most humans.Sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tessas212

Dog Behavior Consultant
Jul 16, 2006
Ohio
✟16,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Crazy, are there any low cost/free spay-neuter clinics in your area? Sometimes there are programs such as TNR,l which stands for Trap, Neuter, Release. With this program, the cats are not just trapped and killed, but trapped, neutered, and then released again. They remain stray, but they aren't being killed. I'm not sure which is more expensive - neutering and releasing, or just euthanizing, but with neutering it will drastically reduce the population - where as I'm sure there would always be more cats to kill.

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
TNR programs are by far the best way to deal with feral cats. Often the toms, if full grown, will continue mounting behaviour with females in heat, and even that reduces the number of kittens born. (Seen these old fixed toms in action.)

Tessas, you did a kind thing for that kitten, and I'm sure you are a boon to those animals you work with.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Agreed!

I found a litter of 4 feral kittens, about 2 and a half weeks old in my backyard. They were severely underweight and almost starved to death because their mother got killed. The mother gave birth to them behind my neighbors shed, but they luckily wandered into my yard as they started getting desperate for food.

This would not have happened if people would have spayed and neutered their pets.

What's even worse is that ALL the shelters and rescues are packed FULL of unwanted kittens like this. The no kill shelter I work at recently had a box of 21 kittens just dumped off on the door step. My vet also had kittens abandoned at their door. I am just thinking about what would have happened to these kittens if I hadn't been the person to find them. Not everybody has the ability or desire to foster kittens from that young of an age and nurse them back to health from the state they were in. But if somebody else would have found them, they would have had no choice to either do it themselves, or take them to a shelter that kills; a shelter that probably wouldn't put in the time or effort needed to bring these kittens back to health and keep them until adoption age when they're so many other healthy ones that need attention and are old enough to be adoptable.

Talk about a helpless situation.

So there's TWO good reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟333,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Crazy, are there any low cost/free spay-neuter clinics in your area? Sometimes there are programs such as TNR,l which stands for Trap, Neuter, Release. With this program, the cats are not just trapped and killed, but trapped, neutered, and then released again. They remain stray, but they aren't being killed. I'm not sure which is more expensive - neutering and releasing, or just euthanizing, but with neutering it will drastically reduce the population - where as I'm sure there would always be more cats to kill.
I'm looking into these programs.I might try to get the mother cat,After 2 years she lets me pet her so I might be able to trap her in the cage and get her fixed.I was able to capture 4 of her kittens and I found good homes for them.I have 1 more to capture and my mom wants it.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You could possibly buy one of the traps yourself. My neighbor has one that he uses to catch cats that come into his yard that he then takes to the kill shelter. Nobody here spays or keeps their cats indoors, so the cats just keep breeding and breeding. Sad to say if it weren't for him, we would have out of control cat populations.

Yes, I just did a quick google, here is what you can buy
http://www.pestproducts.com/cat_trap.htm

And you can just put it in storage until you get more cats you need to trap to get fixed or if a friend has a cat problem, they can use it too. Just be sure to deactivate the trap.....You wouldn't want to leave it set somewhere, trap an animal and not even know it so it starves in the cage.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.