Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What have you got against root beer LOL? That being said, we do not drink alcoholic beverages including beer.
Well, some of you may not. Others, not so much. You can't make such sweeping statements about all your members as if it were true of everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To those asking what the church is invested in -

If a company is publicly traded, then the records of who owns what stock shares have to exist somewhere.

That's the nuts & bolts of it.
If an organization is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, they are required to publically disclose their finances, no? But yours hasn't since 1959. Secrecy anyone? I have no doubt the LDS organization uses holding companies and other shell organizations to hide their various financial activities.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If an organization is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, they are required to publically disclose their finances, no? But yours hasn't since 1959. Secrecy anyone? I have no doubt the LDS organization uses holding companies and other shell organizations to hide their various financial activities.

What I'm saying is "If you think the church is invested in this publicly-traded company, you just have to check out the company's paperwork."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I'm saying is "If you think the church is invested in this publicly-traded company, you just have to check out the company's paperwork."
I know what you're saying and it's not as easy as that. What is easy is for your church to release its financial records like it is required to do as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I know what you're saying and it's not as easy as that. What is easy is for your church to release its financial records like it is required to do as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.
As far as I know The church does not need to tell you what it does with my money. I am sure the church is not doing anything illegal.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What I find interesting is that the Mormon religion used to disclose such information. If my memory serves me, they only stopped in 1959. So why has there been this change from being open about things to claiming that it's somehow nobody's business? Is this another 'revelation' from the Mormon gods?

Edit: Also there are certain places in the world (like the UK) where the Mormon religion is required to disclose their financial information, and from what I understand they do that there, in accordance with the law. Since there is no such law in the USA, they don't do so here. That makes me wonder if we're supposed to believe that in Mormonism God's cares regarding who gave what are as parochial (i.e., dictated by human borders and laws) as they seem to be by comparing the Mormon religion's activity on this front in the USA vs. other countries with different laws. Surely if it's nobody's business in the USA, then it is nobody's business in the UK, and yet the UK does not let them get away with this sort of thing. Hmm. :scratch:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What I find interesting is that the Mormon religion used to disclose such information. If my memory serves me, they only stopped in 1959. So why has there been this change from being open about things to claiming that it's somehow nobody's business? Is this another 'revelation' from the Mormon gods?

Edit: Also there are certain places in the world (like the UK) where the Mormon religion is required to disclose their financial information, and from what I understand they do that there, in accordance with the law. Since there is no such law in the USA, they don't do so here. That makes me wonder if we're supposed to believe that in Mormonism God's cares regarding who gave what are as parochial (i.e., dictated by human borders and laws) as they seem to be by comparing the Mormon religion's activity on this front in the USA vs. other countries with different laws. Surely if it's nobody's business in the USA, then it is nobody's business in the UK, and yet the UK does not let them get away with this sort of thing. Hmm. :scratch:
I lived in the UK for two years and their laws are a lot different there than our laws. As far as I know all religions obey the laws of the country they are in except the Jehovah Witnesses who will go to jail or die rather than take up arms. I admire them for that.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know The church does not need to tell you what it does with my money. I am sure the church is not doing anything illegal.
As a member, is it not your right to know what your church does with your money? I would be very suspect of a church that would not disclose its finances, especially to its members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As a member, is it not your right to know what your church does with your money? I would be very suspect of a church that would not disclose its finances, especially to its members.
I can find out where my money goes, but you don't need to know.

Upvote 0