One Denomination and why?

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
The Lutheran church -Missouri Synod is obviously the One True Church everyone in the world should join.

But seriously, why wouldn't someone answer with the denomination, or stripe of Non-Denominationalism, they are in?

If you don't think everyone should be your denomination, why are are you in that group? Do you just not care that much about doctrines and differences? Are you really a non-dem or anti-dem at heart but attend say a Baptist or Methodist church because it's close or you grew up there or the people are friendly of whatever?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But seriously, why wouldn't someone answer with the denomination, or stripe of Non-Denominationalism, they are in?
I am kind of shocked by the number of people who think that the unity of all Christians into one Church is either impossible or unattractive

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am kind of shocked by the number of people who think that the unity of all Christians into one Church is either impossible or unattractive

Because the earthly politics of an influential city or area shouldn't influence church practice outside of that location.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because the earthly politics of an influential city or area shouldn't influence church practice outside of that location.
in the Bible, in Acts of the Apostles, there was a issue that was dividing the Church, so leaders from the different local churches met together in Jerusalem, had a council, an answer was decided upon, and the local regional churches followed what was decided at the council

this was about those who were Judaizes

we do not see the Christian community in our current age having that same kind of unity

is it bad to strive for the kind of unity that the Bible shows that the early Church had?

I do not see where it states in the Bible that each Christian community was totally autonomous in the early CHurch

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
in the Bible, in Acts of the Apostles, there was a issue that was dividing the Church, so leaders from the different local churches met together in Jerusalem, had a council, an answer was decided upon, and the local regional churches followed what was decided at the council

we do not see the Christian community in our current age having that same kind of unity

is it bad to strive for the kind of unity that the Bible shows that the early Church had?

I do not see where it states in the Bible that each Christian community was totally autonomous in the early CHurch
Too bad that there were other councils (like Ephesus) that were politically rigged.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I did not want to get dragged into this, but just two quick comments, then I'm getting back out.

I do not see where it states in the Bible that each Christian Community was totally under the authority of one central leader. The Apostles (note the plurality) not the Super Apostle were the leaders. A Plurality of Leadership that is all Christians all getting together, discussing scripture, cultural, reasoning out and praying out an answer is how the Councils worked, not one central leader. I would say the Presbyterian Model is closer to that, but I still would not say everyone needs to be a Presbyterian or a what-have-you because of my other point:

What about the persecuted church in North Korea for example, or other areas of the world where there are underground churches, how would they get to these council meetings? They would become out of step unless we somehow ruled the governments as well, which is not, and never was the purpose of the church.

Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

It would be 'attractive,' but indeed impossible. Because at the end, that Church will have to have its own membership guidelines. "You have to believe this if you want to be part of this Church, because this is what Jesus said."

For a number of issues, some main ones, people will say "actually no, Jesus did not say that." And then two (and more churches) will be formed - each one believing the other is not really following the teachings of Christ.

Upvote 0