• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

On the spectrum, don't want to be "healed"

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was only talking about the MMR vaccine-autism link claim, which has nothing to do with allergies.
My post [#11] suggests that it does. It is a different paradigm.

Some of my children and I were born [mildly] autistic. (Vaccines didn't make us this way.) Our native immune system issues caused two of them to sustain vaccine-injury brain damage on top of our inherited autism.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Right. I totally hear you on that! We've been through therapists and etc... throughout his life and we are still stuck in many, many ways. Mostly we ask him questions and just have him answer "yes" or "no" to so we can get an idea what he's trying to say. He has been getting better recently, but we're praying specific prayers over him and it is helping.
So glad to hear that your son has been getting better. The occasions of J's frustrations with words are becoming less frequent, but he does still have anger issues.

Gillian

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Autism is cool. It is the severe co-morbid conditions that need help or healing.

In DSM5-speak, I am an ASD1 father of NTs(?), other ASD1s, an ASD2 and an ASD3.

Where, specifically, in the DSM5 are ASD1, ASD2, and ASD3 explicitly defined. I have a DSM5, and it doesn't appear to mention them.

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not that bad but have made up words a few times. Once I asked my aunt if her late husband was an "explorative" eater. I knew explorative is not a word but could not think of the word adventurous. When I was shoppintg for a living room chair and bed mattress, I called them "cushy" as in cushion.

My wife, who has no diagnoses, does this. Aphasia can be symptomatic of nothing. At least you come up with reasonable substitutes. Imagine having conversations with someone who uses "thing" for any word at all.

The worst part is that her daughters all know exactly what she means.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where, specifically, in the DSM5 are ASD1, ASD2, and ASD3 explicitly defined. I have a DSM5, and it doesn't appear to mention them.
DSM V mentions severity levels with people whose ASD is classed as level 1 severity "requiring support", level 2 "requiring substantial support" and level 3 "requiring very substantial support" (source: Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) | CDC).

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right. I totally hear you on that! We've been through therapists and etc... throughout his life and we are still stuck in many, many ways. Mostly we ask him questions and just have him answer "yes" or "no" to so we can get an idea what he's trying to say. He has been getting better recently, but we're praying specific prayers over him and it is helping.

That's wonderful to hear! Sounds like your son has relatively good receptive language skills which is great.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We advance in our adaptiveness out of sheer reposnibility-taking. For example, I discerned that acquintances were gormless. This challenged me to decide in individual cases whom to ditch and whom to carry on relating to but warily. It is rocket science and we do get into it!

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I love being on the spectrum, I can't imagine my life without autism and wouldn't want it cured either. Without it I wouldn't be me you know?

There is no such thing as a cure for it. It's not an excuse for not using our faculties. God expects us to use our faculties and not kow tow to what our supposed superiors drum into us. I hope you will develop an appetite.

Why have you used being autistic as your excuse to kow tow to what your supposed superiors drum in to you?

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I for one am thankful Autism has no cure. I agree with Kinable. We would not be ourselves without our Autism. It defines us and helps us in my opinion grow closer to the Divine God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kelman

Feb 12, 2022
USA
✟17,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a school of thought that lower-functioning autism [ASD2/3] is Aspergers ASD1 with amplified co-morbid conditions, caused by a neonatal injury. The likely culprit is a reaction to certain vaccines that are turning ASD1s (a good thing) into ASD2/3s (not turning NTs into autistics).
Has anyone written on this? Where can I find it? Thanks

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone written on this? Where can I find it? Thanks
Dr. Martha Herbert has proposed the "injured ASD1" model, though not due to fetal-cell vaccines specifically.

Upvote 0

kelman

Feb 12, 2022
USA
✟17,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cured? Healing? Autism is not a sickness...it's a diversion from neuro-typical behavior. We're simply different not sick.
That’s correct. The neuro-typical mind generally lacks understanding. Just try to speak to nt’s about autism or ocd and they struggle with comprehension. I’m asd1 and have come to the conclusion that it has made my personal understanding of God and the Bible increase. It’s not a sickness just a different way of thinking and I believe a more accurate way of thinking in certain ways.

Upvote 0

kelman

Feb 12, 2022
USA
✟17,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dr. Martha Herbert has proposed the "injured ASD1" model, though not due to fetal-cell vaccines specifically.
I’m asd1 and so is my son. His son (He is 1 1/2 years) suffered some brain complications at birth. His oxygen was cut off and he shows signs of being even more autistic. I’ll look into this. Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic