Status
Not open for further replies.

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
[SHADOW=skyblue]The Initiative Against Depression [/SHADOW]

1 Kings 19

5 Then as he lay and slept under a broom tree, suddenly an angel touched him, and said to him, "Arise and eat."

The angel did not give Elijah a vision, or explain the Scriptures to him, or do anything remarkable; he told Elijah to do the most ordinary thing, viz., to get up and eat. If we were never depressed we should not be alive; it is the nature of a crystal never to be depressed. A human being is capable of depression, otherwise there would be no capacity for exaltation. There are things that are calculated to depress; things that are of the nature of death; and in taking an estimate of yourself, always take into account the capacity for depression.

When the Spirit of God comes, He does not give us visions, He tells us to do the most ordinary things concievable. Depression is apt to turn us away from the ordinary commonplace things of God's creation, but whenever God comes, the inspiration is to do the most natural simple things -- the things we would never have imagined God was in and as we do them we find He is there. The inspiration which comes to us in this way is an initiative against depression; we have to do the next thing and do it in the inspiration of God . If we do a thing in order to overcome depression, we deepen the depression; but if the Spirit of God makes us feel intuitively that we must do the thing and we do it, the depression is gone. Immediately we arise and obey, we enter on a higher plane of life.

by: Oswald Chambers

Wonderful post.

re: When the Spirit of God comes, He does not give us visions, He tells us to do the most ordinary things concievable.

Actually, in my experience He does both...but He does whatever is needed the most by the person He is helping. I have seen both in my own family, and God's way was perfect in all instances.

(Gee, that's not a surprise, Nancy!!!)

But your insight about how we don't do "ordinary" things... like eat, or bathe, or answer the phone, or get the mail is very thought-provoking. God will give us just what we need, praise Him!

Peace & love of Christ,
nancy

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Depression which goes on for more than two weeks may be clinical depression, a physical medical condition that may be a sign of serious illness. If you feel depressed, sleepless, tired or lack appettite for more than two weeks, see a doctor. Depression isn't necessarily a lack of faith in God, it could be your body's cry for help!

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by lambslove
Depression isn't necessarily a lack of faith in God, it could be your body's cry for help!

Absolutely!!

When you are mired in depression God seems a million miles away. Talk to your minister, your priest, your pastor. When I was at my lowest, I felt guilty for every thing I had ever done, not done, or even imagined I had done in my entire life. The ache in your heart seems endless. I saw my family doctor and was placed on medication, I also had some short-term counseling. But for the chasm between me and God, I talked to a priest. I spilled my guts about all that was hurting me. He encouraged me to keep reaching out to God, who was waiting for me with a great big hug.

Read the Psalms, too. David suffered horribly from depression, and he poured his heart out to God.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, aside from the psychological aspects of depression, there are the chemicals in the brain, that can be imbalanced, causing the depression itself. Sometimes those people need the antidepressant medication...my sister has been on an antidepressant for years and it has greatly enriched her life.But, nothing beats the power of prayer I do admit. Here's something for you:
There was once a 32 year old man who was extremely depressed and agitated. He had all the risk factors for suicide. He had been depressed in the past, had a history of child abuse, had been turned down by his fiancee, and had all kinds of pressures. This man's friend's provided intense support for him and stayed with him for a week... He recovered and later became our sixteenth president. Who's to say where our nation would be now had Abraham Lincoln not survived...
Friends, and prayer will always help you through...
God Bless
Amie :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Snor Snor

Servant of Jesus Christ
Feb 14, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟524.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by amie
Here's something for you:
There was once a 32 year old man who was extremely depressed and agitated. He had all the risk factors for suicide. He had been depressed in the past, had a history of child abuse, had been turned down by his fiancee, and had all kinds of pressures. This man's friend's provided intense support for him and stayed with him for a week... He recovered and later became our sixteenth president. Who's to say where our nation would be now had Abraham Lincoln not survived...
Friends, and prayer will always help you through...
God Bless
Amie :angel:

Really?! Wow! I never knew that, and never would've guessed either. And Abraham also became a Christian, so that's good, too!

Only God can take away any kind of depression, whether it's an imbalance in the brain or not, nothing is too hard for Him. He knows how to do it, and it's very easy for Him, too. Elijah probably never would've guessed that all he needed a mear rest and food to feel better from himself.

God bless! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.