Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've only been cooking for a couple of years now, and I'm not very good yet at knowing what you can switch out in recipes. I'm wanting to use Olive Oil in more of my dinners, but I don't have a lot of recipes that call for it. What do you all use it in? Are there any big no-no's that go along with it? =)

Thanks to anyone with suggestions!! =)

CutieSoft

Nov 13, 2005
Showme State
Visit site
✟7,639.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When we need to use oil or butter/margarine (in any recipe), we simply use the same measurement of olive oil. The olive oil is not as salty which is also a benefit for us. We also buy "Smart Balance" spead which is made from olive oil. We use this on our toast or when flavor is needed.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Manna
Upvote 0

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I use olive oil in place of any other oil. Also, when frying things (if not in a non-stick pan), and for greasing casserole dishes, etc. I just put a bit on a paper towel and wipe it around... it doesn't take much. I don't use that much oil in general. Some things call for it, but really don't need it. Other things you can get away with using less than is called for.

Olive oil does have a unique flavour, but I don't really notice it anymore. I think it just takes a little time to get used to.

Upvote 0

Luciano

May 15, 2005
Milano, Italy
✟19,094.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I think the best advice is using the better quality only (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), it's maybe a little more olive flavored but you can use less of it.
My wife is Texan (I'm Italian and we live in Italy) and she never had problems getting used to it.

Ciao
Luciano

Upvote 0

chipmunk

burrow dwelling nut hunter
Oct 26, 2005
City of Dis
✟16,107.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Depending on what you are making will depend on if you can switch olive oil in place of butter or whatever oil. The only thing I can think of that is very picky about its fat is a pound cake. I have had awful results using anything other than butter.

Personally, I'm not fond of the flavor EVOO adds to most sweet dishes that I'm want to making. So, I'm more likely to use a vegetable oil in my desserts. However, olive oil is good in everything else. I use Brummel and Brown Spread with Yogurt on my toast and in non-picky desserts that call for butter.

Upvote 0

Luciano

May 15, 2005
Milano, Italy
✟19,094.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
chipmunk said:
Depending on what you are making will depend on if you can switch olive oil in place of butter or whatever oil. The only thing I can think of that is very picky about its fat is a pound cake. I have had awful results using anything other than butter.

Personally, I'm not fond of the flavor EVOO adds to most sweet dishes that I'm want to making. So, I'm more likely to use a vegetable oil in my desserts. However, olive oil is good in everything else. I use Brummel and Brown Spread with Yogurt on my toast and in non-picky desserts that call for butter.
You are absolutely right, IMHO too in sweet dishes (cakes, cookies, etc.) butter is much better than oil.

Ciao
Luciano

PS: Nothing to do with this thread but this cultural difference reminds me the worst surprise for my wife in Italy: discovering "Fettuccine Alfredo" doesn't exists here :D

Upvote 0

chipmunk

burrow dwelling nut hunter
Oct 26, 2005
City of Dis
✟16,107.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Luciano said:
PS: Nothing to do with this thread but this cultural difference reminds me the worst surprise for my wife in Italy: discovering "Fettuccine Alfredo" doesn't exists here :D

No Fettuccine Alfredo!!!! How does she survive?

I think a lot of foreign food has been changed around to be more pleasing to the american audience. This generally translates into things being less healthy for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luciano

May 15, 2005
Milano, Italy
✟19,094.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
chipmunk said:
No Fettuccine Alfredo!!!! How does she survive?

I think a lot of foreign food has been changed around to be more pleasing to the american audience. This generally translates into things being less healthy for us.
When Zoë (my wife) went back to Texas in January for a couple of months, before coming back in Italy to marry me :), she had problems to go back to an American diet.
I'm a good cook and every day I prepare something different :yum:
As an example sunday I cooked a "risotto con funghi" (rice with saffron and mushroom), the day before "spaghetti ajo, ojo e peperoncino" (spaghetti with garlic, oil and chili pepper), ecc. She stopped asking me to prepare something simple as pasta with tomato sauce because I prepare the sauce myself, with tomatoes, onion, garlic, carrot, chili pepper, pepper and whatever strikes my fancy. So, it's not so "simple" :p
But she too can cook, so sometimes she prepares Texan food.

Ciao
Luciano

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I use olive oil in all my cooking except for sweet things. Also, it gets a bit expensive to use olive oil for frying so I don't use it for things that require a lot of oil like fried chicken. But, don't be scared of it. It's so much better for you and I actually enjoy the flavor in most dishes (especially when I'm making vegetables). My hubby doesn't really love it, but he'll eat most things regardless, lol.

Upvote 0