Older American Politics, I'd like to know...

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does chasing down a hoodoo there mean? It's from a song written by a band called Creedence Clearwater Revival during the time of the Vietnam war.

According to John Fogerty himself, "Hoodoo is a magical, mystical, spiritual, non-defined apparition, like a ghost or a shadow, not necessarily evil, but certainly other-worldly."

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It’s a system of magic commonly found in Louisiana. The Hoodoo Man uses herbs and roots do his work. It is a derivative of African Traditional religions.
So he is chasing a Hoodoo Man with his dog? What for?

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
According to John Fogerty himself, "Hoodoo is a magical, mystical, spiritual, non-defined apparition, like a ghost or a shadow, not necessarily evil, but certainly other-worldly."
So if you're chasing an apparition, that means it's something that you can't define?

I'm just wondering if it's an expression about something that has a common definition by people living there and then.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

It’s an oral tradition. Few whites had access. There is someone who did extensive research on it. I won’t give the name. It will lead people astray.

Keep in mind, there are Cajuns and Creoles in that area. :)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if you're chasing an apparition, that means it's something that you can't define?

If you think of it as "the dog was barking at a ghost," that's more or less what John Fogerty had in mind.

I don't think he'd ever been "down to the bayou" himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
John Fogerty wrote the song. It reflects his understanding of what the word means.

But that isn’t what it means. Hence my response. I know from personal experience.

Now the OP is more informed.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well he's still alive. Not sure if he could answer my question about what he means by those words.

That is how he imagined it. He never went there. And it’s unlikely anyone would have corrected the error. They’re very secretive.

At any rate. You have more to go on. :)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But that isn’t what it means. Hence my response. I know from personal experience.

Now the OP is more informed.

The OP asked about the meaning of the line in the song.

John Fogerty wrote the song. The line reflects his understanding of what the word means.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well he's still alive. Not sure if he could answer my question about what he means by those words.

He already answered that in an interview. I'll quote him again:

"Hoodoo is a magical, mystical, spiritual, non-defined apparition, like a ghost or a shadow, not necessarily evil, but certainly other-worldly."

See
Finding Fogerty: Interdisciplinary Readings of John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lexington Books, page 10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a political forum. I was wondering if there is a relevant reason to ask the question here.:scratch:

Perhaps implying the American public was tricked into supporting the war. Or that trying to defeat the VC and NVA was like chasing a ghost.

Or updating it to imply the current President had used some “magic” to secure support from enough special interests to pull off a tremendous upset in 2016.

Or is the OP practicing hoodoo?:ebil:

Upvote 0