Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
When it comes to old wives tales and superstitions I have heard some doozies over the years, being a country boy and talking to many of my elders out here in the woods.
Like not walking under a ladder, If you forget something and have to go back to get it, You are to say Say red sock, red sock. But I just recently heard one that is hilarious I think. "If you get the flu? Lay in the yard until a chicken jumps over you." This has to be one of the best I have heard.
Let's hear some you guys might have heard?
animated-smileys-dancing-022.gif

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When it comes to old wives tales and superstitions I have heard some doozies over the years, being a country boy and talking to many of my elders out here in the woods.
Like not walking under a ladder, If you forget something and have to go back to get it, You are to say Say red sock, red sock. But I just recently heard one that is hilarious I think. "If you get the flu? Lay in the yard until a chicken jumps over you." This has to be one of the best I have heard.
Let's hear some you guys might have heard?
animated-smileys-dancing-022.gif

i'm not superstitious...i walk under ladders, think black cats are beautiful and a blessing, etc. :D

Another i've heard is that if, when someone's sweeping, and their broom sweeps or touches your feet, you'll go to jail.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fear of the number 13. They even have a name for this.
Professional sports players are extremely superstitious. If a hockey player makes it to the playoffs, they will not shave the beards.
I think my favorite silly superstition is jinxing someone. Like if you say something aloud to someone they will be jinxed.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the movie "Where the heart is", the young woman thinks she might be pregnant and is told that if she hops backwards, she won't be pregnant anymore.
So if you drive through rural Oklahoma and see girls randomly jumping backwards , you'll know why.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Another i've heard is that if, when someone's sweeping, and their broom sweeps or touches your feet, you'll go to jail.
LOL Around here if someone sweeps under under your feet, You will never get married. lol I am not superstitious ether and I think they are hilarious.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think my favorite silly superstition is jinxing someone. Like if you say something aloud to someone they will be jinxed.
LOL Jinx . I have heard that before too. I heard some kids slapping each other on the back and saying jinx you owe me a coke!

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
In the movie "Where the heart is", the young woman thinks she might be pregnant and is told that if she hops backwards, she won't be pregnant anymore.
So if you drive through rural Oklahoma and see girls randomly jumping backwards , you'll know why.
LOL I will have to remember this while counseling couples!

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not superstitious...i walk under ladders, think black cats are beautiful and a blessing, etc. :D

My cat is completely black. Black cats are da best! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Lifting your feet as you go over the train tracks OR holding your breath as you go through a tunnel. I'm not even sure where I heard it but it's really stupid!
I really wonder how these sayings came about? I reckon this was before prozac and abilify
animated-smileys-crazy-019.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
My cat is completely black. Black cats are da best!
Nope when you see one, You have to turn around and go home. How do you ever get out of the house? lol

• Haha
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope when you see one, You have to turn around and go home. How do you ever get out of the house? lol
Well, when we picked her up as a kitten, she kept following me around so we picked her to take home. What does that mean in the stuporstitious world? ^_^

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't step on any cracks in the floor or sidewalk, or you'll break your mother's back.
HaHa, Oh my, I have a tile floor so I better call mom and have her get a brace on.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
How bout if you break a mirror? I don't remember what is supposed to happen though?
I did once and it really did bring me some bad luck because Dad busted my tail end for it.
animated-smileys-surprised-007.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How bout if you break a mirror? I don't remember what is supposed to happen though?
I did once and it really did bring me some bad luck because Dad busted my tail end for it.
animated-smileys-surprised-007.gif
Oh yeah, those mirrors are really bad luck! If dad doesn't bust you up for it, you'll get a sliver stuck somewhere instead. Almost never fails!

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My sister and I did all of those, railroad tracks, tunnels, and not stepping on cracks when we were little. Another was holding your breath when crossing a bridge.
The bad part was that we lived near the Missouri river where it's really wide, so I would about pass out trying to hold my breath the whole way across.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh yeah, those mirrors are really bad luck! If dad doesn't bust you up for it, you'll get a sliver stuck somewhere instead. Almost never fails!
Guess I should have knocked on wood. LOL

Upvote 0