Old School Websites...

somedude

The completely random guy
Dec 2, 2003
✟7,827.00
Faith
Christian
I am just asking for anyone who has been developing for a long time to answer this:

Before the maturity of CSS, around HTML 3, how were sites developed then comparison to now, and how did you lay it out with no CSS? I know a few tricks, but I am VERY limited, as I did not participate in the early web as a webmaster.

Come on! Show your old school HTML pride!

Tattered

Chocolate for Brains
Dec 2, 2005
Colorado
✟9,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I would lay things out with tables and attributes within the tags. There was no global way to format all the pages like you do with CSS now. You would have to go page by page and tag by tag to make any pages. Of course, web sites were mostly much smaller and basically non-dynamic.

... back then I did most of my editing in notepad too ;) ... wow things have come a long way ... :D

Upvote 0

Justin761985

May 21, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟1,100.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everything was done using table attributes, etc. Example: instead of .css { background-color: #FFFFFF; } you had <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"></td>, but of course was rather limited as to what you could style considering not a lot was developed at the time.

and done mainly by notepad.. which is the only way I will code a website (even to this day).

God Bless,
Justin.

Upvote 0

AmazingLoveAmazingGrace

Jun 6, 2006
Albion Park
Visit site
✟7,716.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I used to use frames.

Then I got clever and started using iframes because I wanted to position my content somewhere else (namely on top of another image).

The only problem was that the iframe kept jumping around when you changed screen resolutions, but we sorted that out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums