Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I were to purchase a Sunday Missal published in 1986, would it be any different from one published in 2009? Would it have any different content? Have there been any changes to the Mass or rubrics or prayers used or anything since then?
Thanks!

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,419.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If I were to purchase a Sunday Missal published in 1986, would it be any different from one published in 2009? Would it have any different content? Have there been any changes to the Mass or rubrics or prayers used or anything since then?
Thanks!

Hi,

Even if there has been some changes, I would still buy it if I were you. I collect service books, liturgies, and Missals. From an historic context I find it interesting to note the changes and updates to language, as well as the continuity of our liturgies through history. Music, language, practice and preference seems to change over time, but to me it seems to be a great cycle. Almost a living thing, like faith itself.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks!

You may find very minor differences like a few missing newer feast days and minor rubrics that are different. The basic liturgy in the English language has remained pretty constant, though, since the 1970 when the last of the most significant changes occurred, completing the transition from the Tridentine mass to the Novus Ordo. I'd think that if you could pick one up second-hand or something on the cheap, it'd be a good value, and usable.

If you're going to pay full-price, though, you may not only want to check for a newer edition, but hold off entirely for a while. There is a new English translation with major changes that keeps getting delayed but is definitely coming -- probably in 2010, is the latest rumor. That is going to replace "And also with you" with "And with your spirit", and make other important changes to be more faithful to the Latin text (All ordinary form Latin-Rite Catholic missals in various language are based off a Latin edition, so that the mass can be the same around the globe) in a literal sense, so whatever you get now will be a little awkward to use in a couple years, potentially. A lot of things are being reworded (Though it's not being changed per say -- just rephrasings to be closer to, and more literally convey, the Latin).

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm excited about the new English language translation of the Mass and am really looking forward to it. I thought about holding off until then, but I know that I am missing out on a full participation in the liturgy as it is now. New missals run around $30 from what I see (I'm limited to buying from Amazon because I have a gift card from there). I don't see any of the cheaper paperback versions for 2009 on their website.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others