Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greeting from hot central Fl. Grace and peace to you all. Down south it seems the people I meet that identify as "christians" are just evangelical types. The is a catholic church here but no one I've met said they were a (catholic) christian. I was wondering how the gospel is presented/salvation message is preached/responded to in the cc ? I know at Peter's first evangelistic message 3,000 went from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light. I still remember as a young man kneeling down asking Jesus to come into my life after a evangelist's message. My life took a whole new direction that produced an almost 50 years of following Jesus. Coming to a christian forum really opened my eyes to all the different options to following Jesus.

How is gospel message preached, people responding and committing their life to Jesus happen in the cc ? I've never noticed the cc church here have any kind of evangelistic meetings like the regular churches advertised. Do you just decide to join the church and that's where you are given the gospel message ? Sorry for all the questions ? Just a curious old man. God bless.

Reactions: Rhamiel

Skittles

Apr 4, 2019
Southeast
✟38,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your message and may the peace of Christ be with you. You pose some interesting questions; I’ll try to be pithy in my response. The beliefs of th Catholic Church can best be summed up in either the Apostles or Nicene Creed. A far more detailed explanation can be found in the Catechism

The Church’s teachings don’t align with the practice of an altar call/once saved always saved kind of experience that is common in some evangelical churches. Certainly in an emergency baptism can be performed but the standard approach to becoming Catholic is ~ 9 months of study in something we call RCIA (the rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) where someone would be instructed in the “gospel message”.

The Catholic Church recognizes 7 sacraments: baptism, confirmation, matrimony, reconciliation (aka confession), holy orders, anointing of the sick, and the Eucharist. The Eucharist is seen as “the source and summit” of our faith. Our Mass is designed around the worship of God through reading of sacred scripture and experiencing the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and the “gospel message”. While we don’t have meetings, most parishes (it depends) have “missions” while typically also having many outlets for experiencing/growing the faith and organizing corporal and spiritual works of mercy. As such these would be other ways to experience and share the “ gospel message”.

I hope that was helpful - feel free to respond or to send a direct message if you have more questions. And have a great Memorial Day.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How is the Gospel preached in the Catholic Church?

We are saved by the Grace of God (Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 2:11, Acts 15:11, 2 Corinthians 12:8-9)

Through Faith (Mark 16:16, John 3:15, Romans 10:9)

A faith that is alive with good works (James 2:14-26, John 14:15, Matthew 25:31-46)

We have Missions and Conferences which are similar to the Revivals you are probably familiar with, we also have Street Evangelism (though Street preaching is not super common)

Also there have been some very serious issues within the Church for about 50 years that has really damaged our evangelism

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the responses and what you have shared. The Light is there we just have to stay in it. Understand about issues in the church. In this country for sure, we have kicked God out of so many places darkness is soon to follow. So much done in darkness is done out in the public today. Nations/institutions and individuals are reaping what has been sown in churches and without. Many sitting in the pews around us are going for a ride without a personal relationship with the Driver so they live the rest of the week without Him in charge. Abba father knows who are His. Once we commit our lives to Christ, He promises to complete the work he started in us. Scripture warns us not too even keep company with those around us that call themselves "brother" yet get drunk, lead an immoral live ect. May the Lord draw us closer in these times as we await His return. May He set up "divine appointments" in our lives to share His loving gospel message to the lost around us. May God guide and direct each one of our paths as we live close to him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Skittles. So you have to go through 9 months of training before becoming a christian ? What if someone is lost comes in your church and like the jailer that was watching over Paul/Silas said "sirs, what must i do to be saved" they wouldn't share the gospel and invite them to ask Jesus for forgiveness/put their trust in Him for salvation ?

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree, it is a walk/race but it has to have a start. "Sirs what must I do to be saved ' was his asking to start. I still recall even though a century ago asking that same question. God bless.

PS. I see you posted this. *You are in the Catholic forum* am I not supposed to be here with this post ?

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*You are in the Catholic forum*
Salvation is an ongoing experience. We need to keep running the race. It is not a one time event.

Exactly. The evangelical idea just does not work

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In traditional churches those who are seeking are welcomed as catechumens. They are not left behind and their salvation is not thrown to the wind, I promise you. :oldthumbsup:

It is important to be instructed in all matters of the faith before you fully become a part of it, lest heresies and misunderstandings can arise. The idea that we can say "Jesus I accept you and your word!" and then have instant salvation is a modern invention. It is of course great to say this, and we should, but salvation is a road. There will be thorns and stones and all manner of hindrances that can get in its way, that is why good catechesis and instruction is so important.

I forget how things go in the latin rite of Catholicism, but I know in Eastern Orthodoxy and most rites of Eastern Catholicism, a catechumen is viewed as being part of the church already. If a catechumen dies during their catechesis then they are given a Catholic/Orthodox funeral like any other member.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In traditional churches those who are seeking are welcomed as catechumens. They are not left behind and their salvation is not thrown to the wind, I promise you. :oldthumbsup:

It is important to be instructed in all matters of the faith before you fully become a part of it, lest heresies and misunderstandings can arise. The idea that we can say "Jesus I accept you and your word!" and then have instant salvation is a modern invention. It is of course great to say this, and we should, but salvation is a road. There will be thorns and stones and all manner of hindrances that can get in its way, that is why good catechesis and instruction is so important.

I forget how things go in the latin rite of Catholicism, but I know in Eastern Orthodoxy and most rites of Eastern Catholicism, a catechumen is viewed as being part of the church already. If a catechumen dies during their catechesis then they are given a Catholic/Orthodox funeral like any other member.

Been down that road with all the bumps bruises along with some pretty miraculous experiences along the way. I have no problem with road/ walk but even Peter's first street message 3000 in one day decided to take that walk/road. There still has to be a start when you acknowledge Christ and repent/be baptized.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Winner
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Been down that road with all the bumps bruises along with some pretty miraculous experiences along the way. I have no problem with road/ walk but even Peter's first street message 3000 in one day decided to take that walk/road. There still has to be a start when you acknowledge Christ and repent/be baptized.

Then we are not in disagreement! :holy:

Yes, you have to accept Christ to start on the road to salvation. My only point is that we are not instantly saved at this point (unless we are on our deathbed). After accepting Christ and being baptized in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit we have to keep following the righteous path and live according to the tenets that Christ has provided to us. If that is what you believe, then your beliefs are not really out of line with traditional high liturgical churches like Catholicism and Orthodoxy in that regard. At the end of the day there is a judge who is waiting for us, and it is His ruling that matters the most. If we say to him "Lord, Lord" but continue to live a sinful life then that is problematic.

Anyways, I have said enough here, because I am not Roman or Eastern Catholic. It is nice that you are reaching out to others and having a non-judgmental open dialogue with them though. Big props to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then we are not in disagreement! :holy:

Yes, you have to accept Christ to start on the road to salvation. My only point is that we are not instantly saved at this point (unless we are on our deathbed). After accepting Christ and being baptized in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit we have to keep following the righteous path and live according to the tenets that Christ has provided to us. If that is what you believe, then your beliefs are not really out of line with traditional high liturgical churches like Catholicism and Orthodoxy in that regard. At the end of the day there is a judge who is waiting for us, and it is His ruling that matters the most. If we say to him "Lord, Lord" but continue to live a sinful life then that is problematic.

Anyways, I have said enough here, because I am not Roman or Eastern Catholic. It is nice that you are reaching out to others and having a non-judgmental open dialogue with them though. Big props to that.

Then we are not in disagreement! :holy::oldthumbsup:. Just trying to learn about churches in the area. No Orthodox tho. God bless you real good my brother .

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No you are allowed to post respectful questions and respect the Faith we follow. You can fellowship anytime. :) you just can't debate or be disrespectful. *You are in the Catholic forum* has become a habit.
I agree, it is a walk/race but it has to have a start. "Sirs what must I do to be saved ' was his asking to start. I still recall even though a century ago asking that same question. God bless.

PS. I see you posted this. *You are in the Catholic forum* am I not supposed to be here with this post ?

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2019
Florida (Inglis)
✟10,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you are allowed to post respectful questions and respect the Faith we follow. You can fellowship anytime. :) you just can't debate or be disrespectful. *You are in the Catholic forum* has become a habit.

Ok thanks. Didn't know if i was getting into trouble. Ps, Like your quotes at the bottom. I guess for me it is a christian of the evangelical persuasion.:wave: Choosing life..

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok thanks. Didn't know if i was getting into trouble. Ps, Like your quotes at the bottom. I guess for me it is a christian of the evangelical persuasion.:wave: Choosing life..
Hey! No problem. I get where you are coming from. I'm a convert from Protestantism that believes my salvation journey absolutely began when I accepted Christ on my life. I just happen to be here in Christendom now. It's a journey! I hope you visit us again. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0