Oh, you guys are going to love this one...

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saved!
Review: Jena Malone, Mandy Moore, Macaulay Culkin, and Patrick Fugit star in this inventive and intelligent comedy.

May 28, 2004 - It must be said that Saved! offers a well-deserved kick in the pants to the conservative Christian majority; the movie wickedly satirizes the kinds of contradictions that are sown inherent into any belief system based on moral absolutism, and gives a face to the worshipful throngs who live flawed, human lives but still believe in a higher power. At the same time, it's a remarkably reverent picture, one that holds true to the real tenets of Christianity without shoving its message down the audience's throat, and one that provides a captivating alternative to the believe-it-or-don't dichotomy that dictates most discussions of religion in our current, polarized political climate. Of course, there's the whole "teen movie" moniker that it wears as well, but we'll get to that later...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/519/519550p1.html

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟16,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lotar-

I have not seen "Saved" but I have heard that it makes fun of the Christian faith. My feeling is that while it may not be an accurate portrayal of what being a Christian is all about, it may indeed reflect the status of many in the church today. Sadly, there are many "supposed Christians" who give Christianity a bad reputation. The media is quick to point fingers at these and say "See, what is your faith worth." These "supposed Christians" do more harm to Christ's cause than all the atheists combined. No wonder Jesus said "I will spew thee out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:16)

Upvote 0

Ainesis

Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lotar,

I saw a commercial promo for this movie for the first time today. I have to tell you that the Holy Spirit within me was grieved in watching it. It is a mockery of Christianity and no amount of holding true to Christian tenets can overshadow that. While all I need is the Holy Spirit's direction, I would not have seen this movie anyway.

Scripture says that the end times will be like the days of Noah and the days ot Lot. In Noah's day, the world it seemed made fun of him and mocked him in his obedience to God. The son-in-laws of Lot mocked Lot when he tried to warn them of the judgement to come. As days grow darker, the world will surely laugh more and more at those who truly serve God.

God told Samuel not to be dismayed when the people demanded a king in spite of his warning because they had not rejected Samuel, but they had rejected God. The mockery of the world does not dismay me, because I know that Scripture says to expect it. I find no joy in it because I know the end of those who mock God and that realization of such fates is only sorrowful.

I don't mean to go on, but I am saddened at the declining state of man in terms of his irreverance towards God. May He have mercy on us all.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, after reading the reviews, I don't think that this movie is that bad at all. There are far worse things, and I don't think it is bashing Christianity very much- if any. I probably won't go see it because it looks stupid, but I think the concept is pretty much a reflection of what we look like to the world. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't- who's fault is it really though?

If the premise is light-hearted, we should not get too upset about it. I would be much more concerned about the popular media news programs which present questionable material as "fact."

Upvote 0

Fun_Fundie

May 27, 2004
✟180.00
Faith
Baptist
Ainesis said:
Hi Lotar,

I saw a commercial promo for this movie for the first time today. I have to tell you that the Holy Spirit within me was grieved in watching it. It is a mockery of Christianity and no amount of holding true to Christian tenets can overshadow that. While all I need is the Holy Spirit's direction, I would not have seen this movie anyway.

Scripture says that the end times will be like the days of Noah and the days ot Lot. In Noah's day, the world it seemed made fun of him and mocked him in his obedience to God. The son-in-laws of Lot mocked Lot when he tried to warn them of the judgement to come. As days grow darker, the world will surely laugh more and more at those who truly serve God.

God told Samuel not to be dismayed when the people demanded a king in spite of his warning because they had not rejected Samuel, but they had rejected God. The mockery of the world does not dismay me, because I know that Scripture says to expect it. I find no joy in it because I know the end of those who mock God and that realization of such fates is only sorrowful.

I don't mean to go on, but I am saddened at the declining state of man in terms of his irreverance towards God. May He have mercy on us all.

I'll have to concur :(

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

tesnusxenos

Apr 17, 2004
Tesnus, Texas
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I will probably go see it so that I can discuss it with the high school and college youth that I know who see it. It looks really bad but with enough true things in it that it will have an impact. I need to be able to converse intelligently about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Duggie

Oct 9, 2003
STEVENAGE
Visit site
✟892.00
Faith
Christian
I haven't seen it yet, we Brits are always the last ones to see new films :sigh: However I did recently see a review for it and was listening to the main actors being interviewed about their roles in the film. My opinion is that I don't think this film was produced to mock Christianity. It merely mocks the attitudes and hypocracy of certain christians.

Does that mean we shouldn't watch it? I'm not convinced it does.

I would be far more offended at some of the speakers I see on certain christian channels who openely pervert the gospel and con many believers out of their money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaneKaty13

May 6, 2004
✟7,919.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I saw it a few days ago. My athiest friend dragged me to it. I thought it was completely ridiculous. The ending was kind of cute...but very nonrealistic (just like the entire movie) but it wasn't "making fun" of christians too harshly. The last line was something like "There must be a God who loves me to give me such an amazing baby." totally cliche. But it is not worth seeing by any stretch of the imagination!!

Upvote 0