Not open for further replies.

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
D'Ann desires to "root out the gays"? Since you are sensitive about being accused of things supposedly without evidence, perhaps it would be more consistent of you to not do that to her. I happen to know D'Ann fairly well, and I am quite sure she has zero desire to root out gays (and neither do I for that matter).

It was a question, not a statement. Something that was not extended to me.

And since this policy is squarely aimed at gay members and as has been well-mentioned it has been used to target myself quite extensively is it a far assumption to believe that anyone cheering it on might hold that particular opinion?

Or is only staff allowed to make such assumptions?

Am I sensitive about this, darn right. After being so trampled on do you think I it's so easy to be oh so polite when seeing people cheering the rule being used to persecute me without offering one whit of compassion for my situation? Or the situation of anyone who will be affected by this ruling?

Would you be as considerate were it the Real Presence being declared unorthodox while others stood by cheering for the rule? Even more applicable to you specifically, what if Stigmata were declared unorthodox and you were being forced to remove your avatar while others cheered it on?

But, unlike staff previous to this point in my case, I apologize to you D'ann for implying that you might feel uncompassionate towards gay people. I should have chosen my words with greater care and regret that I allowed my anger over the situation to cause me to say unkind things to you. It is regrettable as I do not wish to act that way towards others and just because I am in a furious and depressed mood is no excuse for me to take it out on you.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
This is a dark day. You have no right to judge the marriages of non-Christians. We can't even post in the married area, as it's Christians only.

You might be able to enforce this on Christians, but you have no authority to define the marriages of non-Christians, especially if it's really to keep us out of the "married only" area...which is already forbidden to us.

I'm sorry you decided to make such an evil decision. I hope someday you realize how wrong you are.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So it seems CF is still telling some married people that they aren't married...
indiff.gif
Does no one in the exec staff see anything wrong with that?

We chose to take the most liberal definition of Marriage that we could.

PG
Actually, I can think of a better and more liberal definition. :)

Upvote 0

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look Nitz, please understand that nobody here desires to treat you or anyone else here unfairly.

Just so you know, we (in the Exec level) are looking into what happened to you and I will take a personal interest in righting any wrong that may or may not have been done to you. But I don't have all the data gathered myself yet at this time.

But let me define a little bit what I mean by "gathering data". I will not go to any other website looking for evidence to support any claim one way or the other. I will not ask the gender of your spouse. I will not ask for documents. I will only ask your word that if you choose the married icon that your marriage is one that fits CF's definition. If you had stated in a public CF forum that your spouse is a male - then your icon will be removed because of your own freely given admission that your marriage does not in reality conform to CF's definition. If, however, there has never been any statement by you that your spouse is male, then we can only assume that you are entitled to the same level of presumption that all CF members are entitled to: a presumption that you are not misrepresenting yourself when you choose any number of options with the various icons, etc...

Simply stated, the only way that your icon will be changed is if you have freely given information about yourself that clearly states something that does not conform our definition. And should our investigation into your case not come up with such evidence, then your icon will be restored as well as a sincere apology given. We will try to do this in a timely manner.

At this website we will always give the benefit of the doubt to someone as to what they claim for themselves. If they claim to be entitled to the marriage icon (as defined by CF) then we will presume they are not lying. We will not look under any rocks for contrarian evidence, nor will we snoop into people's bedrooms. If, however, the person later comes out in public (read: a CF public thread) and admits that their personal situation is different than how they represented themselves...well...then by their admission (not ours) their representation should be changed to something that is accurate.

I am terribly sorry that you feel unfairly persecuted here. As to which "side" is right I cannot say yet because I am still looking into it. You are always welcome to PM me directly as I am extremely sensitive to claims that someone is being presumed guilty without evidence (which is what I gather from your posts is what you are claiming).

God's Peace,

NewMan99
Catholic Affairs Director

Upvote 0

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hmm okay. but i must protest. i have 2 boys but one of them is wearing a skirt :p

I had problems with the icon numbers too, but it seems that the bug or at least some of the bugs have been resolved.
Try going back and re-selecting the number of children. :)

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
And what clear rule violation would be involved with someone asking another member clarification or marriage related questions regarding a statement in thread? :scratch:
Hmm. You're gonna have to rephrase that. I don't understand.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ChristianCenturion said:
And what clear rule violation would be involved with someone asking another member clarification or marriage related questions regarding a statement in thread?
I have no idea if the language is still in the rules, but there used to be language about asking leading questions in an effort to get a member to break a rule. This language was cited in appeals, that a member attempting to get someone else to clarify that they believe another denomination is not Christian, for instance, or that they believe something in conflict with the Nicene Creed when they're posting in the CO forums.

This is no different. The faith icon allows someone to post in the CO forums. The rings icon allows someone to post in the married forums. Asking someone leading questions in this area has the same consequence. If one is frowned upon, then so must the other.

We don't need more self-appointed inquisitors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Look Nitz, please understand that nobody here desires to treat you or anyone else here unfairly.

Thank you NewMan. I am certain that this is true of you and others. But I am equally certain that it is not true of some. Were it not so, we would not be at this point now.

Just so you know, we (in the Exec level) are looking into what happened to you and I will take a personal interest in righting any wrong that may or may not have been done to you. But I don't have all the data gathered myself yet at this time.
I know and I understand :)

But let me define a little bit what I mean by "gathering data". I will not go to any other website looking for evidence to support any claim one way or the other. I will not ask the gender of your spouse. I will not ask for documents. I will only ask your word that if you choose the married icon that your marriage is one that fits CF's definition. If you had stated in a public CF forum that your spouse is a male - then your icon will be removed because of your own freely given admission that your marriage does not in reality conform to CF's definition. If, however, there has never been any statement by you that your spouse is male, then we can only assume that you are entitled to the same level of presumption that all CF members are entitled to: a presumption that you are not misrepresenting yourself when you choose any number of options with the various icons, etc...

I have never made any such statement.

Question, now that this has finally reached the exec level I am actually being asked. But also from what you say in this section since I have never made such a statement, I should not even have to be asked in the first place.

I'm not complaining you are being intentionally contradictory, but only unintentionally :) If the standard is presumption of innocence, then there should be no need for me to answer any question whatsoever, correct? And since I can give you my guarantee that I have never made any statement whatsoever that would conflict with the CF rule (note, I am not saying that my marriage does not conflict, only that I have not stated anything as such) then there should be no need for me to answer the question?

Simply stated, the only way that your icon will be changed is if you have freely given information about yourself that clearly states something that does not conform our definition. And should our investigation into your case not come up with such evidence, then your icon will be restored as well as a sincere apology given. We will try to do this in a timely manner.

At this website we will always give the benefit of the doubt to someone as to what they claim for themselves. If they claim to be entitled to the marriage icon (as defined by CF) then we will presume they are not lying. We will not look under any rocks for contrarian evidence, nor will we snoop into people's bedrooms. If, however, the person later comes out in public (read: a CF public thread) and admits that their personal situation is different than how they represented themselves...well...then by their admission (not ours) their representation should be changed to something that is accurate.

I am terribly sorry that you feel unfairly persecuted here. As to which "side" is right I cannot say yet because I am still looking into it. You are always welcome to PM me directly as I am extremely sensitive to claims that someone is being presumed guilty without evidence (which is what I gather from your posts is what you are claiming).

God's Peace,

NewMan99
You gather correctly :)

This has been my position all along. Since I have not specifically stated anything to the contrary, then I should be afforded the same non-invasiveness afforded to every other member. There should not have even been any questioning brought against me in the first place, since the only things I have said is that I am gay and that I am married. It is only by conflating the two into something that may/may not resemble reality that all of this action has been brought against me.

But, to be certain, since I have not made any statement contrary to the CF's policy regarding marriage then you personally do not feel that I am obliged to answer any question regarding my marriage since you would not ask such questions of any other member who has not made any statement contrary to the policy?

Reactions: ravenscape
Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God's Peace,

NewMan99

NewMan99,

There is another member here who has been publicly and falsely accused by a staff member as having an invalid marriage.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Nitz,

Question, now that this has finally reached the exec level I am actually being asked.

Let's be clear. The question you have not been asked - and will not be asked - is: Are you married to a man or a woman?

The question you are now being asked is: Have you ever freely made a public statement in a CF thread that clearly states you are in a same-sex marriage?

I gather from our current exchange that the answer is "no". I am more than willing to take your word for it. Unless and until someone comes forward with evidence to dispute what you are claiming...I will presume you are truthful. That is all we can and should do here. I do not dispute your personal integrity and I very strongly feel that all humans are entitled to be respectfully treated in a manner that reflects on our common human dignity. Please know that neither I nor any other Exec has instructed any staff members to dig up all your posts to verify your claim (again - we presume you are truthful). If, however, someone happens to remember something and comes forward with it, then we will have to consider such evidence based on its own merits. However, since you say that there is no such evidence in the first place...well...that is good enough for me.

But also from what you say in this section since I have never made such a statement, I should not even have to be asked in the first place.

That's correct. However, human beings sometimes make mistakes and sometimes err in judgment. I wasn't involved in the original decision so I don't know on what basis they made their original decision. My guess (and that is all that it is at this point) is that someone simply made a mistake. Unfortunately it has taken far longer to straighten out than it ideally would, and for that I, as an Exec, am willing to accept the blame. The last couple of weeks have been crazy-busy with numerous contentious and important decisions to make and we simply do not have the time to look into everything as quickly as they should be. While that is not meant as an excuse, I will ask for your forgiveness over our tardiness in addressing this matter. Again, I will take a personal interest in this case - and I am sure that the other Execs will too.

I'm not complaining you are being intentionally contradictory, but only unintentionally :) If the standard is presumption of innocence, then there should be no need for me to answer any question whatsoever, correct?

Well...I understand what you are saying, but look at it for a moment from my side. You have complained often about having never been asked "the question" (Which question? The "Are you married to a man" question - or the "Have you ever stated in public that you are married to a man" question?). So you are asking us to ask you a question. And yet the moment we were to ask you or anyone else a question, then we are immediately accused by some of asking invasive questions.

So I am trying to be consistent and not asking personal or invasive questions. The only thing I will ask you is if you were unfairly treated when your icon was removed. If you say "yes" - then I will assume that your marriage conforms to the CF definition and I will ask no further questions. If you say "no" - then I will also take your word for it that your marriage does not conform to the CF definition. I don't know how I could be any more fair than that. While I understand that some people will not agree with CF's definition I do not want to get into the business of being a grand inquisitor. If a person decides to secretly misrepresent themselves then that is between them and G-d.

And since I can give you my guarantee that I have never made any statement whatsoever that would conflict with the CF rule (note, I am not saying that my marriage does not conflict, only that I have not stated anything as such) then there should be no need for me to answer the question?

That's right - except that several times you have asked us to ask the question. We have to clear it up somehow...so in an effort to clear up this one case...the only question I am asking is "Have you made a public statement in CF in which you freely claimed for yourself that you are in a same sex marriage?" The answer you have already given is "no." Therefore we will presume you are telling the truth and allow you the marriage icon rings - plus an apology will be forthcoming. I don't need to see any documents, nor will I be reading what you have written on other websites including IIDB (a site I do not have an account for - a site I do not read - a site I couldn't care less about to be perfectly honest with you). I won't be sending out any Jesuit minions from the Vatican to spy on you (just a little levity to lighten the situation), nor will I ask any of the people from your CF Buddy list (assuming you have one in the first place). Simply stated, it's none of my business.

This has been my position all along. Since I have not specifically stated anything to the contrary, then I should be afforded the same non-invasiveness afforded to every other member.

That is absolutely correct.

There should not have even been any questioning brought against me in the first place, since the only things I have said is that I am gay and that I am married. It is only by conflating the two into something that may/may not resemble reality that all of this action has been brought against me.

Again - I can't really comment because I wasn't there when the original decision was made. However, I would speculate that it came down to simple human error. I also suspect that it will be a very long time before someone else will have their icon removed without a clear public (CF public) admission of having misrepresented themselves. There can be ways of addressing this internally in terms of tweaking protocol etc... but I can't really discuss that here, of course. Let's just say that I hope you are the first and last case of this type.

But, to be certain, since I have not made any statement contrary to the CF's policy regarding marriage then you personally do not feel that I am obliged to answer any question regarding my marriage since you would not ask such questions of any other member who has not made any statement contrary to the policy?

That's right. And if you will see, I haven't asked you any invasive questions about your marriage or the gender of your spouse. The only question I asked is if you made any statements on the matter about yourself. I haven't asked you to reveal anything about your private life that you haven't already willingly revealed in public yourself.

Lastly, I just want to also make it very clear to anyone reading this post that as for myself I have zero desire to "root out gays" etc.... If you knew me personally you would know that my father employed a significant number of gay people - in fact the gay employees outnumbered the straight number. I grew up around gay people...they don't bother me...I am not phobic about gays...etc...and I am not looking to persecute anyone. Not that you did this to me (because you haven't) but I have rather resented the number of times people in these CF threads have called into question the level of charity I have in my heart for my fellow humans of all stripes. The Execs as a whole (and hence me by extension) have been called some of the ugliest things imaginable...and I have to tell you...I am not what I have been accused of. Thanks - I just need to get that off my chest.

G-d's Peace,

NewMan99

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NewMan99,

There is another member here who has been publicly and falsely accused by a staff member as having an invalid marriage.

Then please PM me and tell me what you know - or what you think you know - and let me take it from there.

Thanks!

G-d's Peace,

NewMan

Upvote 0

NewMan99

Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now he can never have the marriage icon! :eek:

I know you're just kidding around...but just to be clear here...cross-dressers can have the icon if they are in a legal union of one man and one woman.

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
NewMan99,

This is true. And it was done in-thread here in the support forums. It's still there for anyone that cares to see it.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So it seems CF is still telling some married people that they aren't married...
I don't think that is what this definition is doing at all. All selecting the married label does is grant you access to one forum. Just because CF says that it defines marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman it is making a judgement about those who do not conform to that pattern. This is purely a procedural statement.

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The question you are now being asked is: Have you ever freely made a public statement in a CF thread that clearly states you are in a same-sex marriage?

The only thing I will ask you is if you were unfairly treated when your icon was removed. If you say "yes" - then I will assume that your marriage conforms to the CF definition and I will ask no further questions. If you say "no" - then I will also take your word for it that your marriage does not conform to the CF definition.

Ah, I think you misunderstood the source of my confusion NewMan :) The two quotes i've provided should clear that up. The two of these are quite different questions. One asks if I have ever stated that I am in a same-sex marriage (contrary to the rule) and the second asks me right now if my marriage conforms to the rule.

The first is a question of what I have done, the second is an actual question about the nature of my marriage. Can you see why i'm a bit confused? :)

It's like saying "have you ever stated this" and then "will you state this now".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.