Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You are in the Catholic subforum. This is a discussion thread about the Catholic political area. Please do not comment if you are not an active member of One Bread One Body.

So our membership levels have changed a lot since we made the political area back in 2008.

And we are getting debate in there that really doesn't need to happen. Currently we allow non-catholics to debate in that area as long as it's not against Catholic teaching.

But that causes some issues.

So there are two options. Well three.

Leave it how it is.

Change to have the exact same statement of purpose as the main OBOB.

Since there have been something like five new threads since February 25th, close that area for a few months and see if political threads now work again in OBOB.

I favor number 2. Same safe Haven roles as the main area of One Bread One Body.

But what do the active members think?

Last edited:

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I think at least it should've been closed of during holy week, same goes for all the political forums on CF. It's such a nuisance to have Trump all over the CF new threads section when one is supposed to focus on the passion of our Lord.

I know its likely a no go with the CF in general, but at least in OBOB I miss some more focus on Christ in holy week.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I favor number 2. Same safe Haven roles as the main area of One Bread One Body.

I agree with you, so my vote would be option two as well.

The whole point, I thought anyway, of having OBOB and it's sub-forums is to allow us Catholics to have discussion and debate without the dread of outside interference. There are already political forums we can post in to engage non-Catholics, both on CF and elsewhere.

I don't mind people posting in fellowship like the rules allow, but I also enjoy the barrier that the congregational forum rules creates. They can call it an echo chamber if they want, but there's plenty of argument and debate happening elsewhere.

If I want it, I'll go looking for it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Number 2. Why have the same players and scenarios we have all over the board? There is no point in having a political forum in OBOB if we are going to get the same propoganda as the rest of the board. It makes more sense to discuss politics from a Catholic perspective with other Catholics. Otherwise we'd go to American Politics where people eat and breathe this stuff.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was that way in the first version. Then it was voted to change. But I think it's time to go back to safe Haven for both.
I agree. Anybody can go to other political sections on CF if they can't live without the bluster.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why does that matter? We have have huge areas on the board for those that want to discuss it. Safe haven rules should apply on all areas of OBOB. This is a forum for Catholics to discuss issues from a Catholic perspective. Why have a mini political forum that the usual people repeat their propoganda in yet another forum. Or maybe we should not have a political area at all if the forum is not being used. I prefer #2 but closing the forum is fine too. As long as safe haven rules apply in all areas of OBOB.
An argument for option three is there have been 3 new threads in the Political Area in a month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No matter what safe Haven will apply to all OBOB
But are we going to have those that are not Catholic coming in and debating politics? I don't think anybody wants that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So no debating would fall under no teaching?

Catholic teaching can not be divided from political life. And while we may disagree with each other on application....any teaching is not fellowship.

I will write up some phrasing later.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The more I think about this I think it should be Catholics only. Not sure how you would define fellowship in a political forum. Some sort of announcement should be made in the forum when all is decided.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yep I'm trying to get the wording right. I think fellowship might be something where someone offers prayers over some kind of political event that has a negative impact.

I'll include some fellowship examples.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0