Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I love movies, I would watch them non stop if I could. I think a movie review thread would be fun, post your pics rate it, critisize the acting, recommend your favorite flicks.

my first one is 'an unfinished life' starring Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman Jennifer Lopez and Josh something or nother. Can't remember his last name but he's a total babe, in a Matthew McConahauey kinda way, only he doesn't carry quite the arrogance. and to die for blue eyes.

anyhoo.,...it starts off it's a woman (jennifer Lopez)-- and her daughter, she's in an abusive relationship with her bf, decides to leave and goes to the Wyoming ranch of Robert Redford, who plays a delightfully curmudeony old man, and Morgan Freeman. Jennifer Lopez character was married to RR's son, who died ten years before in a car accident, which he blames her for. They hate eachother. He finds out he has this granddaughter and the story unfolds. It has a couple of good story lines, also one with Morgan Freeman bonding with a killer bear.

five stars. (out of five) :thumbsup:

NiteClerk

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
there
✟49,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Beowulf
A rewrite of the saga from 1100 A.D.
I saw this in IMAX 3-D. The Imax was a nice change. The 3-D was done very well, even though a lot of the characters seemed 2-D on a 3-D stage.
The dragon was really neat and looked like a proper dragon. Angelina Jolie was sexy.
Beyond that, wait until the movie is released on DVD.
Then is on the cheap shelf.
And you have a free coupon.
And a friend to buy the snacks.

Two stars. (One for IMAX, one for 3-D)

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Atonement.

Saw it last week (I think; might be two weeks ago) and I loved it. It was so...romantic. Even Keira Knightly didn't get on my nerves.

And James McAvoy is cute.

Seriously though, it managed to preserve the themes of the book (which I also recommend) without losing its pace.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My all time fav is "Schindler's List". It is very dark and difficult to watch, but it details a part of history that we just can't ignore.

This one has five stars in my book. :thumbsup:

Have you seen The Pianist? I think I liked that one even better, although it's a lot darker. It's incredibly painful to watch, it's very distant and painfully honest, which I think is all the more impressive because Polanski actually lived in the Warshaw Ghetto as a boy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Schindler's List too; it's a wonderful movie. Plus, I adore Liam Neeson. :holy:

Last film I've seen; Platoon and before that, LA Confidential. Both are really good movies. I'm just a little bit peeved that Kim Basinger is the only one who won an oscar for LA Confidential when she gives the least impressive performance of the whole bunch.

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

I just saw Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium---and it was fabulous. Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman star. There was some crappy editing, which left a few plot points underdeveloped--but the movie was phenomenal. I had big tears roling down my face--yet despite that, it's totally not a hic click. It was written and directed by the same dude who wrote Stranger Than Fiction. I totally recommend it and it's suitable for all ages. It's the only movie I've seen in the theater since Spitfire Grill that I felt was worth the money.
4 stars out of 5

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
hey, I have a blockbuster coupon on my email at work for 2 free video rentals, popcorn and 2 pops free. offer expires 12/31/07 nationwide at particpating locations. Anyone who would like one let me know I'll send you the email.
scratch that, it's fraudulent. I just called to make sure. I'm such a sucka --good thing I didn't go walking into the store with it. Like this isn't bad enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I love movies, I would watch them non stop if I could. I think a movie review thread would be fun, post your pics rate it, critisize the acting, recommend your favorite flicks.

my first one is 'an unfinished life' starring Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman Jennifer Lopez and Josh something or nother. Can't remember his last name but he's a total babe, in a Matthew McConahauey kinda way, only he doesn't carry quite the arrogance. and to die for blue eyes.

anyhoo.,...it starts off it's a woman (jennifer Lopez)-- and her daughter, she's in an abusive relationship with her bf, decides to leave and goes to the Wyoming ranch of Robert Redford, who plays a delightfully curmudeony old man, and Morgan Freeman. Jennifer Lopez character was married to RR's son, who died ten years before in a car accident, which he blames her for. They hate eachother. He finds out he has this granddaughter and the story unfolds. It has a couple of good story lines, also one with Morgan Freeman bonding with a killer bear.

five stars. (out of five) :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: WONDERFUL STORY! That's one I'm going to buy. Very strong story with well defined characters.. Excellent photography also.

Trailer - An Unfinished Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_C_8K_KnG8

+

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Okay the kids and I just finished watching 'The Ultimate Gift'--with James Garner and Brian Dennehy. It's about a young man, who after years of enstrangement from his rich grandfather, returns after his grandfather's death -- and he and his greedy family go to see what their inheretence is at the reading of the will. and the young man is asked to do several things before he can get his inheretence. It's a tear jerker and a heartwarmer, and it's family friendly.

The little girl who was in 'Little Miss Sunshine' is in it too.

4 stars for that one.

Upvote 0
One of my all time favorites movies is "As Good as it Gets" - a romantic comedy that makes you feel pretty good about not being normal. LOL

It was nominated for 7 Academy Awards and won two of them.

"Acerbic and outwardly despicable pulp novelist, Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson), lives in a haze of obsessive-compulsive behavior patterns; avoiding cracks in the sidewalk and rigidly adhering to his regimen of daily breakfasts in the cafe where harried, single mom, Carol Connelly (Helen Hunt), is the only waitress he'll accept. But his ordered, hermetic world falls apart when his neighbor (Greg Kinnear), a gay painter, needs a baby-sitter for his cherished dog -- and only his longtime nemesis Melvin will do. Then, when the waitress' son's serious illness keeps her from work, Melvin realizes how much he needs her after all."

Trailer - As Good As it Gets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHxg6Ug9GM

+

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
One of my all time favorites movies is "As Good as it Gets" - a romantic comedy that makes you feel pretty good about not being normal. LOL

"Acerbic and outwardly despicable pulp novelist, Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson), lives in a haze of obsessive-compulsive behavior patterns; avoiding cracks in the sidewalk and rigidly adhering to his regimen of daily breakfasts in the cafe where harried, single mom, Carol Connelly (Helen Hunt), is the only waitress he'll accept. But his ordered, hermetic world falls apart when his neighbor (Greg Kinnear), a gay painter, needs a baby-sitter for his cherished dog -- and only his longtime nemesis Melvin will do. Then, when the waitress' son's serious illness keeps her from work, Melvin realizes how much he needs her after all."

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2673438

+
yeah that one's good too.

You like those movies with the crabby ole men, ay?

Good to see you Mark, I wish you would come by more often. You're missed. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the_Abbot

Veteran
Dec 22, 2003
Florida
✟17,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2673438

+
I love that movie

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Have you seen The Pianist? I think I liked that one even better, although it's a lot darker. It's incredibly painful to watch, it's very distant and painfully honest, which I think is all the more impressive because Polanski actually lived in the Warshaw Ghetto as a boy.

He's also a pedophile, which is why I won't be supporting any of his work.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
subscribing. I don't go to the cinema often. Last thing I saw was Harry Potter 5 and it sucked. (And I love the books, so it wasn't that.)

Hee, I loved HP5! I thought Yates did very well, considering the book is so angsty and dense. Plus, Daniel Radcliffe seems to have learned to act a bit better. I thought the first two were a bit dodgy.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"A Beautiful Mind"-- I wouldn't have thought of this movie if it wasn't being shown on a re run on a cable channel. But it's really one of the best movies I have ever seen. Russell Crow stars as schizophrenic, highly functional, professor. His delusions begin to take over his life, until he's faced with the challenge of letting them, or of getting better. And against all odds, he gets better. It has the one thing that I look for in movies, character transformation. And I saw this movie initially at a very pivitol point in my own life. I really liked it and I would give it five stars.

Upvote 0
Cinderella Man

The true story of James J Braddock. During the Great Depression, a common-man hero, James J. Braddock--a.k.a. the "Cinderella Man"--was to become one of the most surprising sports legends in history. By the early 1930s, the impoverished ex-prizefighter was seemingly as broken-down, beaten-up and out-of-luck as much of the rest of the American populace who had hit rock bottom. His career appeared to be finished, he was unable to pay the bills, the only thing that mattered to him--his family--was in danger, and he was even forced to go on Public Relief. But deep inside, Jim Braddock never relinquished his determination. Driven by love, honor and an incredible dose of grit, he willed an impossible dream to come true. In a last-chance bid to help his family, Braddock returned to the ring. No one thought he had a shot. However Braddock, fueled by something beyond mere competition, kept winning. Suddenly, the ordinary working man became the mythic athlete. Carrying the hopes and dreams of the disenfranchised on his shoulders, Braddock rocketed through the ranks, until this underdog chose to do the unthinkable: take on the heavyweight champ of the world, the unstoppable Max Baer, renowned for having killed two men in the ring.

I give this movie 5 stars all the way, especially for it's good morals.

Cinderella Man - Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbVSN1cD7A

+

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.