Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The reckless radicalism of the Republican Congress and presidential field is already turning off the American people:

Why Obama Will Win in 2012
It might be “the economy, stupid,” but radicalism on the right will doom Republicans’ chances at the presidency.

For starters, Obama is far more popular than he should be under the current conditions. The relationship between presidential approval and unemployment is well established, and with the jobless rate at 9.2 percent, Obama should have approval numbers in the high 30s, on par with George H.W. Bush’s performance in the last year of his term. According to Gallup, however, his job approval for the current quarter (from April to July 19) averages to 47 percent, as does his year-to-date approval rating. Obama maintains high approval ratings among core Democratic constituencies—liberals, African Americans, and the poor—and a plurality of Americans still trust him to do right by the country. On the current budget negotiations, for example, 47 percent say that Obama is “putting the country’s interests first,” compared with 24 percent for Republicans in Congress.

Likewise, a plurality of Americans hold negative views about the Republican Party as a whole, by a margin of 47 percent to 42 percent. This extends to the state level; Republican governors in swing states are deeply unpopular with their constituents. Governor Rick Scott of Florida leads the loser pack with an approval rating of 29 percent—the worst of any governor in the country. Governor John Kasich of Ohio and Governor Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania follow with approval ratings of 33 percent and 39 percent, respectively. This doesn’t guarantee votes for President Obama, but it could drive Democratic turnout in those states if activists use those unpopular governors to mobilize voters and increase turnout...

Obama’s chief Republican competitors aren’t popular with the public, either. As the moderate former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney is best positioned to challenge Obama in a general election, but in a head-to-head matchup, even he trails Obama. What’s more, if early fundraising is a sign of voter interest and intensity, Obama is far ahead of his Republican competitors. As of last week, the president had raised $85.6 million for his re-election bid—twice as much as the entire Republican field has brought in.

Yes, voters hate the sluggish economy, and they are dissatisfied with the country’s direction. So far, though, that hasn’t translated into personal disdain for the president. Voters are still reluctant to saddle him with responsibility for existing economic conditions. By a 2-to-1 margin, according to a survey released last week by Quinnipiac University, voters still say that President George W. Bush is culpable for the current situation. This also holds true among independent voters—49 percent blame Bush; just 24 percent blame Obama...

At this point in the game, even with poor conditions, I’d call the 2012 election for Obama. I’d do so not because of his personal popularity or his massive campaign operation but because of the Republican Party. The GOP has been captured by its most extreme members, and even the most moderate Republican candidate will be forced to kowtow to the party’s far-right wing to win the nomination. As Obama struggles with slow economic growth, the GOP’s fanaticism could be the thing that saves him. High unemployment aside, if the history of presidential politics shows anything, it’s that when you give voters a choice between the incumbent they know and the radicals they don’t, the former will win.
Why Obama Will Win in 2012

This former Republican activist explains why Obama will win hands down:

President Obama Will Win In An Overwhelming Landslide in 2012 and Will Deserve the Victory

America is a one party state. The Democratic Party is the sole political party in the US now.

The Republican Party is no more. It is not a political party; as David Brooks noted "the Republican Party may no longer be a normal party."

It has become a clearing house for religious fanatics, Ayn Rand groupie weirdos and angry white racists driven literally mad by seeing a black man in the White House, a black man more articulate and intelligent -- not to mention annoyingly even tempered -- than they or their bizarre leaders are.

I was a Republican activist in the 1970s and 80s. My father was a founder of the religious right and I was his sidekick. What he and I did --sadly -- still resonates today.

For instance Michele Bachmann got into politics because of reading my father's work. I escaped -- fled -- in the early 1990s. But I do know the Republicans from the inside and in the past hung around with the likes of the Bush Sr., family, the Fords, Bill Buckley etc. And whatever you may think of those Republicans, they belonged to a normal -- if misguided -- political party.

No more. Roll over in your grave Jack Kemp! Call your office Bill Buckley!

...He will be running against the "party" that in the matter of the debt crisis is happy to take the whole county with them over the cliff of loony and contradictory Bible-based/Ayn Rand-inspired, ideology into economic chaos. None of which any former Republicans, let alone any actual Christians -- i.e., those who try to follow the teachings of Christ -- would recognize.

This folly will not be forgotten. Nor will the insanity of the Rick Perry prayer meeting sponsored by a list of homophobic fanatics...

The disappointment on the left has apparently led some folks to concoct an alternate reality in which -- in a mirror image of the loony embittered far right, not to mention in a mirror image of people like Sarah Palin who have made a profitable career out of being professional Obama haters -- no matter what president Obama does they dismiss it.

In other words some on the left don't just disagree on tactics they act like jilted lovers (and/or opportunistic cynics trolling for the next book advance) and have turned their once too-ardent love into hate.

The president's critics left and right all had one thing in common: impatience laced with little-to-no sense of history.

Meanwhile back in the real world ...

• Health care reform passed

• Bin Laden is dead

• Gay rights in the military took a quantum leap

• The economy began to revive and will again after the President resolves the debt crisis one way or another

• The world loved an American president for the first time in half a century

• The war in Iraq drew down

• America foiled countess terror attacks

• We're drawing down in Afghanistan

And in post-Libya intervention President Obama has in a little noticed historic move -- changed America's arrogant unilateral habit of global intervention perfected by Bush II....
Frank Schaeffer: President Obama Will Win In An Overwhelming Landslide in 2012 and Will Deserve the Victory

Even Republicans are conceding that Obama will win:

Republicans agree: Obama will win in 2012

According to GOP.com, Obama’s last day in office is January 20, 2017. I saw this yesterday and took a screenshot in case they took it down once they noticed it. It’s now received a considerable amount of attention online and yet it’s still up on their website a day later. Oops!

ObamaJan2017cropped.jpg

ObamaJan2017-1024x597.jpg

National Review editor: Barack Obama will win in 2012, just as George W. Bush won in 2004

In a column for Bloomberg News, Ramesh Ponnuru casts the future GOP presidential nominee -- whether it's frontrunner Mitt Romney or someone else -- in the hapless role of John Kerry.

Bloomberg, Aug. 8: "The strategic insight of the Bush re-election campaign in 2004 was that times had changed. The U.S. was divided 50-50 between the parties. The number of committed partisans had increased, and the number of true swing voters -- as opposed to voters who say they are independent but reliably vote for one party -- had shrunk. In this newly polarized country, no president could hope to achieve high approval ratings for very long.

It followed, though, that a president could win re-election even with approval ratings that would once have spelled doom. In a 50-50 America, every presidential election was a choice between the incumbent and the challenger and not just a referendum on the incumbent. If voters who didn’t approve of the incumbent could be persuaded to prefer him to the challenger, the incumbent would win.

That was Bush’s game plan. Republicans portrayed Kerry as an effete liberal who would raise taxes and wouldn’t assert the national interest. They didn’t try to persuade Americans that Bush had been a terrific president or even that Kerry was unpresidential. They just made the case that Bush was better than the alternative."

Ponnuru goes on to argue that: "As far as anyone can tell today, perceptions of the economy on Election Day are going to be closer to what they were in 2008 than what they were in 2004."

Obama's numbers have continued to be fair to middling since the debt ceiling showdown, while Tea Party popularity has tanked.
National Review editor: Barack Obama will win in 2012, just as George W. Bush won in 2004 | MLive.com

Last edited:

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Why Obama will win in 2012

I admire your passion, enthusiasm and loyalty. However, if we go by opinion polls, he just isn't cutting the mustard.

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

I agree that opinion polls change with the weather and I don't put a lot of stock in them until we get down to the final moments of the election cycle. It is, however, interesting to see how quickly his numbers came down since they took out Osama bin Laden.

Another issue is with the RNC website thing. Many of us (conservatives) don't give the RNC a whole lot of credit these days. To many of us, the RNC has been lacking in it's ability to put out candidates that republicans would actually vote for. Besides, this site you have cited appears to have a 'typo'. Considering the RNC's track record, it's not surprising. The California RNC is flat-out lame. How else can anyone explain the length of Barbara Boxer's tenure.

If the election were held today, between Mitt Romney or even Perry of Texas, and Obama, I really believe we would have a republican president. I just don't see Obama overcoming the horrible record he has on the economy and jobs. So far, I don't really get a warm fuzzy feeling about any of the GOP candidates, either. With Obama, however, I get a cold chill.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I think he will win because the Republicans don't have a candidate that appeals to the moderate voters.

I think there was a couple, but they have since dropped out. Moderate Republicans, in my opinion anyway, will vote the Republican candidate this time because Obama has lost most of the moderate support. These candidates don't have a lot of support from real conservatives either. Bachmann gets support due to her stances on many issues, but conservatives really would like to see another candidate besides her. We are looking for someone who, honestly, doesn't exist anymore. We want another Reagan, and it just ain't gonna happen.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I admire your passion, enthusiasm and loyalty. However, if we go by opinion polls, he just isn't cutting the mustard.

My passion, enthusiasm and loyalty is for reason and fairness in government, rather than the right-wing nightmare the Republicans have to offer. Presidents like Reagan and Bush II were able to win re-election despite negative job approval. What matters is which candidate can excite their base the most while appealing the most to moderates and independents, which is what Obama did in 2008.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry. I'm glad they're so sure, but I mind you, nothing is a sure thing.

Nothing.

Of course, which is why Obama supporters should campaign for him even harder than they did in 2008. If Obama is going to win, he might as well win with the highest margin possible, which would serve as a mandate for his second term.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Of course, which is why Obama supporters should campaign for him even harder than they did in 2012. Hypothetically, if Obama is going to win anyway, he might as well win with the highest margin possible, which would serve as a mandate for his second term.

Maybe.

All I know is this is the political equivalent of Code Red. Maybe not in importance of election but in making sure the Tea Party is marginalized. When my own parents, strong devout members of Focus on the Family and the Christian Coalition up through Bush's the middle of Bush's 2nd term, not to mention contributors to making my life a religious nightmare, have decided to break off and finally vote for Obama, something is amiss I think.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
My passion, enthusiasm and loyalty is for reason and fairness in government, rather than the right-wing nightmare the Republicans have to offer. Presidents like Reagan and Bush II were able to win re-election despite negative job approval. What matters is which candidate can excite their base the most while appealing the most to moderates and independents, which is what Obama did in 2008.

Fair enough. But this will be 2012 and Obama must run on what he has done in the last four years. He can't continue to blame previous administrations for everything that has gone wrong for him. I'm just afraid it's going to come down to another "lesser of two evils" kind of election. I just don't see Bachmann getting the nomination, so who is left? Right now it appears to be Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. As a conservative, Romney doesn't excite me. Perry is a bit of an unknown in that outside of Texas, many don't know enough about him. The last Texas governor that was POTUS was a bit of a disaster, so Perry will have to sell himself. That's kind of a tall order.

Obama has a lot to deal with. His image, even among many in his own party, has been tarnished to say the least. The "hard-line" left will vote for him, but there are others who are wondering if the country can survive another four years of ineptitude. If the Dems want to truly win, they would put Hillary Clinton out there as their candidate and start over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there was a couple, but they have since dropped out. Moderate Republicans, in my opinion anyway, will vote the Republican candidate this time because Obama has lost most of the moderate support.

It's not enough for Obama to lose Moderate support (and I'm not all that convinced he has, anyway), but the GOP candidate has to gain it.

As long as the GOP hopefuls are trying to out-Conservative each other to win over the Tea Party vote, they're neglecting the moderates altogether -- that will spell doom once those moderates stick with Obama as the lesser of two evils.

These candidates don't have a lot of support from real conservatives either. Bachmann gets support due to her stances on many issues, but conservatives really would like to see another candidate besides her.

A pity they're not going to get one.

We are looking for someone who, honestly, doesn't exist anymore. We want another Reagan, and it just ain't gonna happen.

True enough -- Reagan managed to pull the US economy out of a hole almost as deep as this one.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟379,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If employment doesn't improve, and the general mood is still sour, I think there's at least a fair chance that Obama may pull an LBJ, and decide not to run. The Dems would put a lot of pressure on him to drop out, rather than risk bringing disaster down on all of the party's candidates. His most obvious successor is Hillary Clinton. It seems to me that she'd be a stronger candidate than any current Republican.

Also, we have to keep in mind that it doesn't take the most votes to win. It only takes a bare majority in 15 or so big states--most of which are historically blue. Obama carried 6 swing states in 2008--IA, IN, OH, VA, NC, FL. For a Repub to win, s(he) would have to carry all of John McCain's states, plus all of these 6. But if the Dem carried Obama's other states, plus just one of these 6, that's over 270 electoral votes.

Upvote 0

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It's not enough for Obama to lose Moderate support (and I'm not all that convinced he has, anyway), but the GOP candidate has to gain it.

This is true to a degree. As the republican field gets a little more narrowed, I believe this will happen. There's also the possibility of another candidate entering the race.... (I hope) I just believe that as long as the GOP nominee doesn't do or say something totally stupid, like so many have done before, they should get the support needed to win.

As long as the GOP hopefuls are trying to out-Conservative each other to win over the Tea Party vote, they're neglecting the moderates altogether -- that will spell doom once those moderates stick with Obama as the lesser of two evils.

I really think that we are seeing a slight shift to the conservative side because being too "moderate" produces candidates like John McCain. Weak. Moderates see Obama now through the viewpoint of the privious four years of his term. Quite a different view than in 2008. I doubt if they will see Obama as the "lesser" evil.

A pity they're not going to get one.

Beside Bachmann?? You really think they will nominate her? I think she will make a good showing, but when it all comes together and the dust settles, the nod should go to someone with a bit more political experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟933,617.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think there was a couple, but they have since dropped out. Moderate Republicans, in my opinion anyway, will vote the Republican candidate this time because Obama has lost most of the moderate support. These candidates don't have a lot of support from real conservatives either. Bachmann gets support due to her stances on many issues, but conservatives really would like to see another candidate besides her. We are looking for someone who, honestly, doesn't exist anymore. We want another Reagan, and it just ain't gonna happen.

True. The great thing about Reagen was his wide appeal across both moderates and conservative voters. The current republicans seem to appeal to either one or the other.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
This is true to a degree. As the republican field gets a little more narrowed, I believe this will happen. There's also the possibility of another candidate entering the race.... (I hope) I just believe that as long as the GOP nominee doesn't do or say something totally stupid, like so many have done before, they should get the support needed to win.

Assuming they don't go completely mental, it'll be a close race.

I really think that we are seeing a slight shift to the conservative side because being too "moderate" produces candidates like John McCain. Weak.

The funny thing is, I've said many times before that if the John McCain of 2000 had run, I'd have voted for him over Obama -- the 2008 McCain tried to sell out to the right -- and not nearly enough people fell for it.

Moderates see Obama now through the viewpoint of the privious four years of his term. Quite a different view than in 2008. I doubt if they will see Obama as the "lesser" evil.

Depends on who he's running against -- if his opponent is one of the nutters who would've rather seen the economy crash and burn rather than compromise on a solution...

Beside Bachmann?? You really think they will nominate her? I think she will make a good showing, but when it all comes together and the dust settles, the nod should go to someone with a bit more political experience.

Bachmann's got charisma and the Right is loving the whole "strong woman" angle, but if Perry steals her Evangelical thunder, she'll wilt quickly.

Or maybe she'll just self-destruct on her own under scrutiny...

http://www.alternet.org/story/151960/michele_bachmann_was_inspired_by_my_dad_and_his_christian_reconstructionist_friends_--_here%27s_why_that%27s_terrifying?page=entire

Not that it matters -- I mentioned in another thread that in 2008, Huckabee took Iowa with his Evangelical appeal. That went nowhere fast, didn't it?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
True. The great thing about Reagen was his wide appeal across both moderates and conservative voters. The current republicans seem to appeal to either one or the other.

They need the ultraconservatives to get nominated, but they need the moderates to win the election -- when they shift gears, they end up looking like frauds.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟933,617.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
They need the ultraconservatives to get nominated, but they need the moderates to win the election -- when they shift gears, they end up looking like frauds.

True. Much like you I would have voted for the McCain of 2000 but not the man who was forced to sell his integrity of 2008. Heck, by today's standards Reagen would be a left leaning moderate.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
True. Much like you I would have voted for the McCain of 2000 but not the man who was forced to sell his integrity of 2008. Heck, by today's standards Reagen would be a left leaning moderate.

Shhh... don't tell the Right -- they're hard up for role models, even one who spent like a drunken sailor.

Upvote 0