United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article-

Video shows angry bystanders taunting the two officers.

A pair of NYPD cops simply wanted to disperse a crowd gathered on a hot July night at a Bronx street corner.

But as a disturbing video shows, the officers suddenly found themselves surrounded by angry, taunting bystanders.

As the crowd cheered, a man the cops were trying to arrest put one of the officers in a headlock — a controversial tactic that has drawn condemnation when used by police, and is about to prohibited in New York City.

WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

Continued below.
NYPD cop placed in headlock as cheering crowd looks on, video shows

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The guy turned himself in. He should be charged with assault on a police officer as well as other charges. We'll just have to wait and see how that turn's out.

As for the angry crowd, there is nothing new about the police being called names, yelled at, etc. it's happened before in times like these. I remember it during the Civil Rights movement and during the Vietnam protests.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From the article-

A pair of NYPD cops simply wanted to disperse a crowd gathered on a hot July night at a Bronx street corner.

But as a disturbing video shows, the officers suddenly found themselves surrounded by angry, taunting bystanders.

As the crowd cheered, a man the cops were trying to arrest put one of the officers in a headlock — a controversial tactic that has drawn condemnation when used by police, and is about to prohibited in New York City.

Continued below.

Your description isn’t accurate. The cops were arresting one man, when one of those cops lunged at a second man. The second man thwarted that lunge, put the officer in a headlock, took her to the ground, and then ran away.

• Agree
Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's felony assault...
There's no way the guy who assaulted the officer doesn't go to jail for several years.

Assault of a public official.
Impediment of a public servant in the course of their duties.
And I can't remember the rest of the usual charges.

Either way it's going to be at least a five year stint for that...and then they can be eligible for parole.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the article-

Continued below.
I feel sorry for the people who live in NYC, if they want police protection they better do something now to support the police.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your description isn’t accurate. The cops were arresting one man, when one of those cops lunged at a second man. The second man thwarted that lunge, put the officer in a headlock, took her to the ground, and then ran away.

Is that some kind of justification?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to think that police were sometimes over reacting but I started to see how they would deliberately harass poor minorities. Growing up middle class I never saw police harass a middle class minority person . My college was located near a poor minority neighborhood. That’s when I started to see what some of my peers were complaining about and why they hated cops. Police acting like that still shocks me.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is that some kind of justification?

More than anything, I was addressing the false narrative that folks love to rail on around here.

But to answer your question - yes, actually, it is a justification. Unless he somehow attacked the officer first (which doesn't seem to be shown in the video), the officer doesn't have the right to just charge him like that even if he's being obnoxious - he does have the right to defend himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0