Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As she approached 50 years old, the longtime neonatal nurse made the decision to attend culinary school and become a professional chef.

A resident of Wheeling, West Virginia, and a parishioner at St. Michael Catholic Church there, Barbara Adams Gabis has led a busy and colorful life, to say the least. Raised as a Presbyterian, she became a Catholic after attending Mass with her husband.

“He was very Catholic,” she said. “He was in seminary for 12 years but he left the seminary and entered medical school. ... He went into cardiology. ... He was the kindest, the smartest and a great doctor.”

Because Barbara was a nurse in neonatal care in the same hospital as her future husband. They worked together and eventually married.

“We were married for 39 years, though he died a few years ago,” she said. “I started going to church with him and then I made a decision. I didn’t want to be a family that has a father take the children to church once a week or I will the next. ... I went through RCIA and found that it is important to worship as a family.”

Continued below.