Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
MoonlightFlower said:
Zaac, you're one of the most ignorant, sexually repressed people I've ever spoken to. D:

Gosh, unless I'm mistaken, I've never met you or written anything to you so what are you talking about.

By the way, nice to make your acquaintance. :D And you are in violation of forum rules.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Randall McNally said:
But you still have to eat.

And you can still look at the nude form in the context of your married spouse's body.

"Avoid slander"? Sure you can avoid it, but it doesn't prevent the slander from occurring. Out of sight, out of mind, at best.

It prevents it from occurring as the result of you if you avoid it.

Your analogies are atrocious.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Alecto said:
Who died and made you God's lawyer?

Jesus Christ died and made me the defender of the Gospel and He directed me to use it to teach, correct, rebuke, and to train in righteousness. :)

Sounds like shame to me, you dont cover something unless your protecting it or ashamed of it

Then let me ask, do you go out in public unclothed everyday?

So? Do you know what was TRULY in his head when he was painting?

Do you?

Im sure he kissed a little butt to get some extra money. He disagreed with the pope frequently about the painting and he got quite miffed because the pope kept telling him to go faster and the pope's advisors didnt like his work, thinking it was too vulgar. One actually made him so mad that he immortalized the man as a donkey in the Last Judgement. Michelangelo didnt really like the pope or his advisors.

ok :scratch:

I was making a point, EVERYTHING will turn SOMEONE on, where do you stop banning? "Change that saltshaker! Its shape might inspire lust!"

Now why do those who say they do not follow Christ always bring into a discussion objections and seemed outrage to things that were never said?

Who said anything about banning? :scratch:

Religious or not, in my opinion, if you cant look at a painting of a nude figgure without getting your undies in a bundle then you REALLY need some quality time with a sexual party.

Like you said, in your opinion which you are completly entitled to. I'm talking about Christians living their lives in accordance with God's Wod, not man's opinions.

Its not that easy. Most people do things for psychological reasons. Some people who eat excessively do so because of a psychological desire for comfort, some people who slander desire attention and acceptance by making others look bad in comparison to them. And its pretty hard to put a finger on what is "Obscene". I am so inured to "obscenity" I could walk down the street and see a couple shtuzing on a bench (which I have) and not bat an eyelash.

Nice way to throw those excuses to do the right thing in there. look , you're not saying anything that is not expected of a non-follower of Christ. You will continue to site -ogical reasons for why certain things need to be done, and I'll continue to tell you what God's Word says.

Only if you arent educated and mature enough to distinguish the purpose of the picture. inappropriate content, yes that is made to get you horned out. A picture like The Kiss by Tanya Chalkin (One of my favorite B&W pictures btw) is designed to be art using the human body and its lines and curves as material and a camera as the medium.

Solomon was the wisest man to ever live and he wasn't educated and mature enough to be swayed from the lusts of the flesh.

What do you want people to do? Stop eating?

Nope. Just to eat the portion that keeps them holy and out of sin.

They point out the fact that there are those among us not mature enough to make the distinction between inappropriate content and art

And that statement points out that there are those amongst us who have a worldview that is not Biblical.

Upvote 0

angela 2

May 11, 2005
Boston
✟16,758.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Zaac said:
And what does displaying nude photos have to do with who we are at this time? :scratch:
Assuming we're still taking about Michaelangelo's painting, it tells us that God created humanity. That seems to be a relevant message today.

But in the case of this thread, I think God is using that work of art to show us something else too. What has been expressed by some here is a closed and repressive religion that does not well represent the God of scripture.

God may well be warning us that unless we stop insisting that our interpetation is of God's word is God's word, and unless we stop trying to impose a mistaken version of Christianity on other Christians, we could propel ourselves into another Dark Age that would once again feature the destruction of works of art and the burning of books.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
angela 2 said:
Assuming we're still taking about Michaelangelo's painting, it tells us that God created humanity. That seems to be a relevant message today.

We have GOD'S WORD to tell us that He created humanity.

But in the case of this thread, I think God is using that work of art to show us something else too. What has been expressed by some here is a closed and repressive religion that does not well represent the God of scripture.

Christianity is SUPPOSED to be closed because Jesus Christ has told you what it is to be, and He did not need naked pictures to clarify this. And it is not to be accepting of that which causes people to do what He says not to do.

God may well be warning us that unless we stop insisting that our interpetation is of God's word is God's word, and unless we stop trying to impose a mistaken version of Christianity on other Christians, we could propel ourselves into another Dark Age that would once again feature the destruction of works of art and the burning of books.

ANgela , your love of art is appreciated. But make no mistake about it, we are already living in a dark age. And in that age, one of the things that continues to be pushed is that Christianity be accepting of the obscene and vulgar just because someone calls it art.

God has never needed art to get His Word across. The earth is His canvas and His name is written upon the things He has created. And from the fall of man, He has directed man to dress and directed man upon how he should be dressed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angela 2

May 11, 2005
Boston
✟16,758.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Zaac said:
God has never needed art to get His Word across.
God doesn't need anything, that goes without saying. But for many centuries, including the one in which Michaelangelo lived, art was used to communicate the Good News because most people were illiterate and couldn't read the bible. That's the reason why, until recently, paintings and stained glass in churches were representational. They reinforced the preached word.

And it's my opinion that even today the preached word and written word find another sensory avenue in that painting.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
angela 2 said:
God doesn't need anything, that goes without saying. But for many centuries, including the one in which Michaelangelo lived, art was used to communicate the Good News because most people were illiterate and couldn't read the bible. That's the reason why, until recently, paintings and stained glass in churches were representational. They reinforced the preached word.

And it's my opinion that even today the preached word and written word find another sensory avenue in that painting.

Did the preached Word speak of naked depictions of genitals in the Last Judgment?

Upvote 0

tryptophan

May 28, 2004
Missouri
✟8,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Alecto said:
Why are some people so against nudity when in the context of art? They act like they are so reviled by it, but think nothing of seeing ancient statues of Greek heroes wearing nothing but a helment.

Prime example, one of my teachers (Shes a little nutty but my grade is low so I try to be nice) and I were talking about it in class and I showed her the artwork of Luis Royo and she acted like I had cut off a kitten's head, mounted it on a stake, set fire to it and called it art. But when I asked her why she considered some of the Great Master's work amazing, even though some of it features nudity, she gave a very long and convoluted response that sounded suspiciously like "I have no idea".

Why ARE some people so repulsed by nudity in the context of art? And by art I mean drawings, photographs, statues etc etc.

I think it's that in the United States nude=sexual. Consequently, we think nakedness is always about people having sex or trying to stimulate others.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Illuminatus said:
Does it talk about Christians wearing crucifixes as jewelry? I see a lot of Christians doing that.

If the crucifix is being worn as an item of faith and not just as decorative idol, what is the problem in Christians carrying around a reminder of their faith in what Jesus did at the cross?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Zaac said:
If the crucifix is being worn as an item of faith and not just as decorative idol, what is the problem in Christians carrying around a reminder of their faith in what Jesus did at the cross?

Then what's the problem with Michelangelo painting a reminder of how God created the universe?

Upvote 0

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
Do you have any proof that people were not led into lust by nude "art". And we're talking about nude art, and not just the nude frescos of the Sistine Chapel.
**Raises hand**

who, by and large, are extremely anti-Jesus Christ-are the ones
Why is it that I hear this same little song over and over and yet Ive only met about three athiests in my whole life who were anti-Christ?

who it turns out, are always trying to tell Christians how to act Godly when they (agnostics and atheists) have no foundation to do so.
I dont need to be an architect to look at a building and say "That sucks". Christians are very public about what is and what is not godly behavior, then they so often fail to live up to the standards they hold to the rest of society

Jesus Christ died and made me the defender of the Gospel and He directed me to use it to teach, correct, rebuke, and to train in righteousness.
That sounds a little....how do I phrase it...self-righteous

Then let me ask, do you go out in public unclothed everyday?
No. Several reasons why. Number one, it isnt legal. Number two, I am very self consious of my own physical appearances. If I had more self esteem and it was legal then no I probably wouldnt mind walking around naked

No, but I know that when someone says he's doing something for someone, then paints that someone's buddy as a donkey in hell, thats a strong sign of butt kissing for dough

Now why do those who say they do not follow Christ always bring into a discussion objections and seemed outrage to things that were never said?
Because you opened a bottomless box, your justifications for why nude art is bad can be applied to almost everything, "It MIGHT cause someone to lust".

Nice way to throw those excuses to do the right thing in there.
Nice of you to brush them off rather than whole-heartedly consider them. And notice I said some, there are some truly sick freaks out there.

Solomon was the wisest man to ever live and he wasn't educated and mature enough to be swayed from the lusts of the flesh.
How do you know that? Were you there watching him his whole life? History tends to demonize or immortalize men. Very few people are rememberd as neutral. If someone is immortalized as a hero, some of the bad things they do or did get forgotten or intentionally ignored. Thomas Jefferson fathered several children by his slaves and we didnt find out till about 200 years after it happend through DNA testing, I dont remember seeing anything about it in my history books before the discovery.

Nope. Just to eat the portion that keeps them holy and out of sin.
Well what is that? Ordering fries instead of onion rings?

And that statement points out that there are those amongst us who have a worldview that is not Biblical.
How is maturity and the bible linked? I dont HAVE to have a Biblical worldview because its no more holy that Aesop's Fables to me. Are you saying that any view OTHER than bliblical is immature...because thats what its sounding like.

Thank you, Zaac, for your reasoned defense of our faith.
Hun, I dont mean to be rude, but your patting General Custer on the back

We have GOD'S WORD to tell us that He created humanity.
And that cant be expressed at all through artwork?

Christianity is SUPPOSED to be closed
And where exactly does it say that?

But make no mistake about it, we are already living in a dark age.
Yeah, we have the freedom to howl and whine about people not agreeing with us and not be shot. Such horrid times **Rolls eyes**

And in that age, one of the things that continues to be pushed is that Christianity be accepting of the obscene and vulgar
What about people who consider such a hardline atitude vulgar? I mean, you may not LIKE nude artwork, but you have to admit, some of it is rather beautiful when taken at the artistic level, all else aside. It DOES have beauty in it. See, I consider it vulgar to totally ignore something that was intended to be beautiful, if not slightly daring, because you disagree with the subject matter.

Agreed. The bible is a lovely story in my view, but the adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" still holds true. I find the paintings of the Sistine Chapel to be rather beautiful, not only in thier depiction of form and shape, but of realism. I dont agree with thier subject matter, but I can still appreciate the beauty of it

Did the preached Word speak of naked depictions of genitals in the Last Judgment?
Then why is Jesus depicted as wearing nothing but basically a loincloth on the crucifix?

Upvote 0