Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a supporter of Obama and do not want to debate him with anyone, it is obvious he does not need me or anyone to argue for him and it is also obvious that many comments posted here and around the net (1)makes no difference to the man and his campaign and (2) are downright wrong. This all IMHO.

That said, I am wondering what happens now. I have a brother who has a degree in sociology but he is too over the top for me. I can barely keep up. So basically does he go state to state again? He's in my hometown today. What criterias would he use to choose a VP, when does he have to choose a VP and who would be good for him? What of these town hall meetings McCain wants to have, good idea or bad? Does the VP get out there too and campaign and if so wouldn't he have to choose one right away?

As you can tell (ashamed to admit), I have never been political and am just ignorant to the process.

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Both candidates need to start selecting their V.P. running mates. The party conventions are in August where the candidates are officially nominated. The candidates will campaign in those areas where they feel they need more votes to win as well as in the so called 'battle ground' states. They will run ever increasing ads and phone calls.

I live in one of those battleground states which on one hand is great as we tend to think for ourselves and vote the way we want, not what the media and political types tell us to. On the other hand, it makes for long drawn hour election seasons which get rather annoying.

Living in this state, we have endured this Presidential election since Nov. 2006 and I am sure that the 2012 election process will begin Nov. 2008

Upvote 0

BattleAxe

Excited To Know Jesus
Aug 30, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I get it. One more question, does the VP campaign too or is it mainly the canidates with the ads and going to the states (battleground states(?)). Still not sure of the VP role in all this. Do they pretty much stay in the background?

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The two campaign as a team. Fighting together or fighting apart.
We elect the team to the executive office. They both thrive or they both fail.

The VP spot will be:

1.Someone the nominee can work with.
2.Someone that brings something the nominee doesn't have on his own.
3.SOmeone that enhances the nominee, not detract from the nominee.
4.Someone that can be trusted by the nominee, that they won't try to upstage the president, and won't be campaigning for the next election while working for the president.

This is why I don't believe Obama will choose Hillary.(reasons 2,3,4,)

Until the conventions the candidates will be taking pot shots at each other, try to stay in the spotlight for good things and dodge the negitive light.( I believe Obama will do less unplanned talking(his weakness) and will do more speeches on "change".)
Then the race begins again after the conventions. More appearences, more debates and speeches. Its a sprint to the finish in November.

Upvote 0

BattleAxe

Excited To Know Jesus
Aug 30, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you, thank you both. I do get it (finally). I won't get into a debate on these issues (wouldn't be good at it anyway) but I was interested in Bill's #2. I guess if it were me I would be looking closely at #2.
Anyway thanks sooo much. My brother tries to keep me on point, but one question sometimes turns in a mini lecture and I am lost after the first minute.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I did try to keep the issues out of my post, but I think I did hint at one.

#2 is important, but the others are too. If you are down, you don't want your VP
to begin to call for your removal, he must trust the VP. He can't be arguing over every detail of their platform. It is team work.

#2 will be a bonus to his campaign, but if he doesn't have the rest, it won't be a good team, and will fail, either in the election or in office. We need a good team to lead us, so I hope if either side gets a bad team, I hope they loose. We need a good leader team. No matter which side wins. The president will be the one to make us better or worse. (and yes we can get worse, most of you thought we couldn't get worse then Iraq and a depressed economy. Now we have both and raging gas prices to further depress the economy.)

Upvote 0

BattleAxe

Excited To Know Jesus
Aug 30, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with you Bill whole heartedly on things can get worst. Again I am not at all political and totally avoided the raging debates! But even my dim sight can see that with the economy/gas, health care etc. we are in trouble.
I would like to see a VP that will back the president and is of sound mind himself (or herself) and that has a vision to bring us some relief.
I do like Obama and I agree with him that we need change and I agree that we can't have politics as usual. I just was wondering/hoping he choses a VP that will help him since so many are saying he has no experience. But I was also wondering if the VP will really have a voice in this election, in decision making, and making or breaking a campaign.

And thanks again Bill (and everyone) for helping me. I didn't want to try to gleam from the heavy hitters with such a basic question! Thanks for taking time with me.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No problem.

I have my views, but my biggest goal is to encourage everyone to get involved in the elections.
Good or bad, I don't like that 50% or less of the country is deciding who will run our
country. Meaning 25% or less will elect the president.

Make no mistake, both sides VP decisions could make or break either candidate. And I don't believe either one, has won the election yet.(ie neither is a shoe in)
And I think I am like alot of voters, not happy with our choices, and just going for the one they think will harm the country less. Which can change, easier then someone voting for a persons platform.

Its nice to talk politics once in a while without getting down and dirty on issues.
I know the good and bad of both candidates, and have leaned both ways.
Keep up your research, and in Nov. pick the best candidate you feel at that time.
But keep informed.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0