Padraig

Apr 11, 2005
Tennessee
✟15,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind I don't know much about y'all's Tradition. But I was just wondering which you guys preferred or participate in: the Novus Ordo or the ancient Roman Mass? If you could also tell me why you prefer one or the other, it'd would be really interesting.

thanks.

slainte,
kevin

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mass!! Where the bread and wine become the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of JESUS. it does not matter to me if the words are latin, greek, english, french spanish etc as long as the mass is valid and the miracle takes place it is heaven on earth and i want to be there!!

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Padraig said:
Keep in mind I don't know much about y'all's Tradition. But I was just wondering which you guys preferred or participate in: the Novus Ordo or the ancient Roman Mass? If you could also tell me why you prefer one or the other, it'd would be really interesting.

thanks.

slainte,
kevin

I prefer the Traditional Mass. Why? It is more sensual and reverent in my opinion.

Also because I think the new one has been abused into resembling a Protestant service...or perhaps, that was the intention of some people designing it all along.

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟21,060.00
Faith
Catholic
Novus Ordo. There is always a greater understanding in your own language. Even if I got lost in terms of the missal, even if it was the first time I had ever been to a Mass, I would know what was being said and be able to at least listen and understand.

Being a convert from protestantism, I can say the N.O. Mass is nothing like the services I attended as a protestant. I see no reason to slam a valid and licit Mass. If some prefer the tridentine that is fine and I would hope it would be available to them.

Marcia

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I've never been to a Tridentine Rite Mass (the Traditional one) but I feel that there should be both available. As was said-and this is a great idea-it would be good if all priests did both so that there could be a least two or three Tridentine Masses a week including one Sunday Mass. However, I think the rest should still be the Novus Ordo. The Novus Ordo can be very beautiful when celebrated properly and, to be frank, the only thing that matters is Jesus being there and Jesus being adored sincerely. I will probably get a lot of slack for saying this, but if some people want to aodre Jesus by dancing and clapping and some want to do it with chanting and solemnity-more power to em! :)

Pax

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Padraig

Apr 11, 2005
Tennessee
✟15,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What if the Tridentine Mass were to be served in English? Our Liturgy of St John Chrysostom and Liturgy of St Basil which dates to about the time of the ancient Roman Mass is served in English in this country. Is Latin mandatory so-to-speak in order to serve the ancient Mass?

kevin

Upvote 0

BjBarnett

Viva il Papa!
Mar 18, 2004
Middlesboro, Kentucky
✟19,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Padraig said:
What if the Tridentine Mass were to be served in English? Our Liturgy of St John Chrysostom and Liturgy of St Basil which dates to about the time of the ancient Roman Mass is served in English in this country. Is Latin mandatory so-to-speak in order to serve the ancient Mass?

kevin

good question. I think Latin is mandatory to celebrate the TLM or atleast ive never heard of anyone celebrating it in English.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Padraig said:

kevin

I don't know, but having a Universal language for a Universal Church is a good thing in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
I prefer the Tridentine Mass because it is more noble and reverent. There is a sense that you are in the presence of the King in a timeless ceremonial. When the priest faces the altar there is a feeling that all are ONE, praying to God. The priest facing the congregation seems to me to make it more between us and him - people centred rather than more God centred.

As for language, I'd be quite happy to see an English tridentine. The Latin was good for international unity though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've never been to a Mass celebrated under the Missal of 1962 (Tridentine), but I would like to one day. I do think I would prefer, the current Mass, however. The new rite isn't perfect (and isn't always celebrated perfectly), but it's still Heaven on Earth. I'm anxious to see what the new translation will be like and whether or not our new Holy Father will bring back ad orientam, but even without these changes, it's still the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Padraig said:

The Church requires Latin for the traditional Mass, although Latin is not absolutely necessary for the Mass. The 1965 Missal is essentially this Mass in English.

But I see no need for the vernacular. Latin brings unity to the Church and to the meanings of words, and it's not hard to learn the little Latin needed to understand the Mass.

Besides, Mass is not said to us. It's said to God, and He understands Latin just fine. Don't the Orthodox veil the sanctuary during the consecration, so the congregation can't see it? God, of course, sees it, and both that practice, and the silent Canon in the West (and Latin) remind us that Mass is offered to God, not to us. It's for our benefit, but not for us.

Robbie_James_Francis said:
I will probably get a lot of slack for saying this, but if some people want to aodre Jesus by dancing and clapping and some want to do it with chanting and solemnity-more power to em!

Just ask yourself this: Would you do this on Calvary, with Jesus hanging on the Cross?

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Paul S said:
Just ask yourself this: Would you do this on Calvary, with Jesus hanging on the Cross?

Drat-the liberal agenda has been foiled again! But the Spirit of Vatican II shall rise again I tell you! ;)

Apologies...I'm clearly not amusing anyone but myself here. :sorry:

No, in all seriousness thank you Paul. I'd always thought what exactly is it that is so wrong about such modernisations to the liturgy...now I see it. It's OK for the Mass to be simple at times without incense or vestments and altar cloths and whatnot...but it must bear in mind what is actually being made present there and then...and of course great and solemn ritual and adornments also show the great reverence for the Act of Christ on the Cross and His continued Self-giving.

However, do you think that joyous and upbeat hymns ought not play a part in some Masses? :scratch:

Oh..and I'm not a loony liberal...honestly I'm not. :o

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Paul S said:
Besides, Mass is not said to us. It's said to God, and He understands Latin just fine. Don't the Orthodox veil the sanctuary during the consecration, so the congregation can't see it?

This is not really true... at the epiklesis, after which the Gifts are the Body and Blood of Christ, the congregation is in full view of them. There is a veil in some churches, especially in Slavic churches but in the Slavic custom it's pulled after what RCs would term "the consecration."

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Paul...I'm a little confused by your assertion that the Mass isn't offered for us. I know better than to argue with such a knowledgable theologian as yourself, but could you please elaborate? Does Christ not offer Himself to us? Is it not good for the spreading of knowledge and understanding of the Faith that what is happening can be understood by the people and that they can take part?Pax

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.