Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Washington, D.C. Newsroom, Oct 13, 2023 / 14:15 pm (CNA).

Following nearly two decades of service, the Reverend John I. Jenkins will step down from his role as the president of Notre Dame University and return to ministry and teaching at the end of the 2023-24 academic year.

Jenkins, a Congregation of Holy Cross priest, is the university’s 17th president. He has served in this role since he assumed office on July 1, 2005. It is unclear who will succeed him in his role as president.

“Serving as president of Notre Dame for me, as a Holy Cross priest, has been both a privilege and a calling,” Jenkins said in his Friday, Oct. 13 announcement.

“While I am proud of the accomplishments of past years, I am above all grateful for the trustees, benefactors, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends who made them possible,” Jenkins added. “There is much to celebrate now, but I believe Notre Dame’s best years lie ahead.”

In a news release, the university credited Jenkins with fostering dramatic growth in research at Notre Dame and securing its admission to the Association of American Universities. The university also noted that Jenkins ensured the university’s financial strength and admitted a talented and diverse student body.

The university further credited Jenkins with expanding Notre Dame’s global engagement and maintaining in-person education during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continued below.