Not open for further replies.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't remember because I had to crawl across the floor in front of the entire class retrieving the dice while the instructor started an angry dialogue in regards to the gambling problem on campus.

Another instructor a few weeks earlier had reported to the police a craps game going on in the restroom that resulted in a physical confrontation and expulsions.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I never went to office hours during my Bachelor phase. If I had a question, I usually asked it in class (then again, I'm not too shy that way) or sent the teacher an e-mail. Most were more than happy to reply. Now that I'm in my masters, the classes are considerably smaller, which makes it easier to ask questions.

BTW - I don't know how you Yanks do it, but the first course of action to take for us when we didn't understand was to ask the clever kids.

No.

(we are moving. I do not have time to mop up the blood.)

I think you should do it while you still have access to your old house, Eva. That way you won't have to clean the stains out of your new carpet. ;)

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please say a little prayer for Bill? He is being deluged by students who want to know how to get a better grade now that the semester is over and their exam is done (or for the other class is tomorrow).
How can you NOT know that the homework assignments are that important if it is a. told in class that they will count for 30 percent of your grade and b. mentioned in the syllabus?

"I really need a good grade in this class or it will affect my scholarship" may be very tragic, but it's not a good reason to alter a grade.
Why would they THINK that you just need to ask to have:
homework grades dropped just because you didn't do well on them?
grades being added to just because you 'need it'?

If you need good grades, study and do the homework assignments. If that isn't enough, come during the semester to ask for help. If that isn't enough, maybe you simply are not cut out for this course?

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll definitely say a prayer for him. I think a firm no is in order for his students. I depended on scholarships, and for it and many other reasons I studied hard to get the grades I needed to keep those scholarships and to learn the material. They are in college, and if they haven't learned responsibility this is an important time to learn it. Most likely one class isn't costing them there scholarship. This is probably a problem they are having in all their classes, and they are going from teacher to teacher hoping to find one that will give in. And, if he does he'll get a reputation amongst students for it. Not something Bill wants to have to deal with.

But, definitely prayers :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll definitely say a prayer for him. I think a firm no is in order for his students. I depended on scholarships, and for it and many other reasons I studied hard to get the grades I needed to keep those scholarships and to learn the material. They are in college, and if they haven't learned responsibility this is an important time to learn it. Most likely one class isn't costing them there scholarship. This is probably a problem they are having in all their classes, and they are going from teacher to teacher hoping to find one that will give in. And, if he does he'll get a reputation amongst students for it. Not something Bill wants to have to deal with.

But, definitely prayers :)

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Now I am feeling really nervous...

I have gotten myself into serious trouble this academic year. I'm trying to juggle medication changes and psychiatrist visits and my schoolwork really got lost in between. I'm not a partier, I'm agoraphobic and I literally don't leave the house, I don't have friends to go out with... so the problem isn't that I have an active social life and just don't care about school. Au contraire... I do all of my reading for school and I even do some supplementary reading. But writing hasn't been going well.

So I have three outstanding papers, and I desperately want to graduate. I approached the professor (literally took me MONTHS to get up the guts to talk to him) and he said I could submit them... but I've even missed the deadline on the extension.

Before I hit rock bottom I had a fabulous academic record. I desperately want to graduate and I feel terrible for being such a ridiculous burden on my professor.

What would you do with a student like me? Are you just too frustrated with the grade-grabbers to deal with such a mess?

I am so screwed.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Now I am feeling really nervous...

I have gotten myself into serious trouble this academic year. I'm trying to juggle medication changes and psychiatrist visits and my schoolwork really got lost in between. I'm not a partier, I'm agoraphobic and I literally don't leave the house, I don't have friends to go out with... so the problem isn't that I have an active social life and just don't care about school. Au contraire... I do all of my reading for school and I even do some supplementary reading. But writing hasn't been going well.

So I have three outstanding papers, and I desperately want to graduate. I approached the professor (literally took me MONTHS to get up the guts to talk to him) and he said I could submit them... but I've even missed the deadline on the extension.

Before I hit rock bottom I had a fabulous academic record. I desperately want to graduate and I feel terrible for being such a ridiculous burden on my professor.

What would you do with a student like me? Are you just too frustrated with the grade-grabbers to deal with such a mess?

I am so screwed.

Your college should have something like an Office for Students with Disabilities. They should be able to work with your professors to come to reasonable accommodations.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Your college should have something like an Office for Students with Disabilities. They should be able to work with your professors to come to reasonable accommodations.

My psychiatrist has refused to refer me. I don't have a disability, I am "just" clinically depressed and agoraphobic. She won't support me seeking accommodation "on the record".

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
V&P -- I don't know what sort of institutional structures your university has, but what I would tell you to do is go to the Office of Student Affairs and get a note attesting to your situation (I can only diagnose whether or not you've done well in my class -- I'm not in a position to assess whether or not you have a disability). If based on that you genuinely need special consideration, I'd give you an "Incomplete" grade with an appropriate deadline for completing the work. The incomplete grade would disappear if you made the new deadline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please say a little prayer for Bill? He is being deluged by students who want to know how to get a better grade now that the semester is over and their exam is done (or for the other class is tomorrow).
How can you NOT know that the homework assignments are that important if it is a. told in class that they will count for 30 percent of your grade and b. mentioned in the syllabus?

"I really need a good grade in this class or it will affect my scholarship" may be very tragic, but it's not a good reason to alter a grade.
Why would they THINK that you just need to ask to have:
homework grades dropped just because you didn't do well on them?
grades being added to just because you 'need it'?

If you need good grades, study and do the homework assignments. If that isn't enough, come during the semester to ask for help. If that isn't enough, maybe you simply are not cut out for this course?
It isn't doing the students any good to facilitate their inconsideration or irresponsibility. In doing that they are less prepared for the business world than if you just gave them the grade they earned per the terms of the course. It would be a different matter if you changed the rules on them late in the class, but if they knew the terms up front then give them the grade they earned. I'm sure Bill isn't the first professor these students have done this too... don't cave. It doesn't do them or you any good to do that.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
V&P -- I don't know what sort of institutional structures your university has, but what I would tell you to do is go to the Office of Student Affairs and get a note attesting to your situation (I can only diagnose whether or not you've done well in my class -- I'm not in a position to assess whether or not you have a disability). If based on that you genuinely need special consideration, I'd give you an "Incomplete" grade with an appropriate deadline for completing the work. The incomplete grade would disappear if you made the new deadline.

Thanks for that Bill. The dean's office already has a letter concerning me... I will ask my professor about taking an "incomplete". The work is progressing... just not entirely finished...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.