Not Preaching for fear of being fired--a viable excuse to the Lord?

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟63,745.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I made a thread about this before, a long time ago. I am a teacher in a public school, and I am not allowed to talk about Jesus, ever. The other day, we were learning about Martin Luther King, Jr. One of the questions was "Who inspires you?" and some of the quotes in the lesson were by MLK, but really they were from the bible. That would have been an opportune time to tell the kids that, but I was afraid of losing my job. I feel like God will not be pleased that I am keeping silent. I don't want to to go to hell for not telling, but I figure I would lose my job, and no one would convert anyway. Plus, there are Muslim students in the class. Is that an excuse? It's also hard to show what others perceive as Christian behavior when you're a teacher because of discipline problems. Kids today don't understand that there are consequences for actions, and teachers can be see as mean, especially if they get mad.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is it certain that you would be in trouble for mentioning that M. L. King was a Christian minister and that he was inspired by his religion along with other influences (which you would name)?

And, as for reading quotes, would it be impermissible to quote King's own words if they were derived from the Bible but you didn't say that?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟836,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I made a thread about this before, a long time ago. I am a teacher in a public school, and I am not allowed to talk about Jesus, ever. The other day, we were learning about Martin Luther King, Jr. One of the questions was "Who inspires you?" and some of the quotes in the lesson were by MLK, but really they were from the bible. That would have been an opportune time to tell the kids that, but I was afraid of losing my job. I feel like God will not be pleased that I am keeping silent. I don't want to to go to hell for not telling, but I figure I would lose my job, and no one would convert anyway. Plus, there are Muslim students in the class. Is that an excuse? It's also hard to show what others perceive as Christian behavior when you're a teacher because of discipline problems. Kids today don't understand that there are consequences for actions, and teachers can be see as mean, especially if they get mad.
If I was placed in the position where it was required that I teach on Martin Luther King Jr, I would be going to the principal and advising him that the guy was a Christian minister and it was his Christianity that largely motivated him to protest for humans rights. Inform him (or her) that there is a mixed group in your class, and is it appropriate to teach about Martin Luther King Jr anyway, seeing that mentioning his Christianity might be offensive to some, and that being required to teach it might put you in a no-win situation where you either teach about him in a very superficial way or have your job at risk if you taught about the real person, his faith, and motivation. You could ask him whether there is an alternative topic that will not put you into the "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation.

I suggest that if the principal is not flexible, you can go to your teachers' union representative and explain your problem that you are being required to teach a topic where which way you taught it would put your job at risk - either teaching it with Christianity involved, or teaching it in an incomplete way which could affect your performance as a teacher. Also, how will you answer questions from students about his Christianity without compromising your job?

You are not employed to teach Christianity in your school, and preaching the gospel in your workplace is taking time that you are paid to teach students the curriculum. Taking time to discuss and teach stuff, including Christianity, that is not on the curriculum is actually stealing paid time from your employer. I know that a lot of Christians do this in the workplace, and I am not surprised if there are not results from that kind of preaching. I cannot see the Holy Spirit supporting preaching Christianity when an employee is using time paid by the employer to do it instead of doing his job. You can preach all you like when you are on your own time, but when you are at work, your time belongs to your employer. Actually, the way you conduct yourself and the acts of kindness you do to other in the workplace is much more powerful than any preaching or discussing you can do.

Have you been supplied with curriculum material on the topic? Are the lesson plans well set out that you don't have to do any impromptu stuff? One thing you could do with student questions is to get them to write out their questions, hand them in to you, then take them to your department head or principal and get advice how to answer them, if they concern the Christian faith side. You can't be fired from your job if you have done this and are following the principal's instructions. If you were, your employment lawyer would have a field day, and you would get a truckload of money by way of compensation.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Just to be honest, I think you are giving me reasons to find new employment outside the public school system.

That said, try not to think of it in terms of "I'm going to hell for not saying Christian things". That not true.

Peter refused to say Christian things, and in fact denied knowing the Lord. I think that was far worse, but you don't see that he was doomed to Hell over it.

The bottom line is that schools are no longer fields of open thought, but rather anti-Christian hatred, the results of which we just witnessed in the news.

Here's the facts. You are not welcome there. You should consider going someplace where you are welcome.

Remember what Jesus told the disciples. If you go someplace and they reject you, go back in as stealthy as possible, and say only what they agree with? No, he said shake the dust off your feet at them, and go someplace that will accept you.

I hate that this is where our country has gone, but all Christians should have known it was coming. Go to a Christian school, and/or any school that is more about actual education, rather than worrying about politically correct non-sense.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟738,082.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Schools can not silence thought, if the man was inspired by God, and the question was "Who inspires you", it would be good to bring it up. However I know the pressure can be great to not share Jesus in our world. One thing you need to be confident of however is Jesus will not send you to hell for missing a preaching opportunity. Jesus will make sure every one hears about him at some point, you need not burden a heavy responsibility. Yet why not work with those above you to try to change the atmosphere that prevents free speech and thought.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I'm also a public school teacher and have been teaching for more than 20 years. I'm going to take this in pieces.

I made a thread about this before, a long time ago. I am a teacher in a public school, and I am not allowed to talk about Jesus, ever.

If you have been told this, the people who told you are wrong. If you think this well...you are wrong. ;) For example, I am a music teacher and teach Spirituals and other songs which mention God and sometimes Jesus. This is constitutionally protected. We teach about MLK and mention that he was a Christian minister and this is presented to the entire student body. Because it is the truth. Again, that is constitutionally protected.

One of the questions was "Who inspires you?" and some of the quotes in the lesson were by MLK, but really they were from the bible. That would have been an opportune time to tell the kids that, but I was afraid of losing my job.

If the kids are asked to respond to this question in writing or in any way, and they offer God or Jesus as a response, NO ONE can tell them that is wrong, just the same as a Muslim child cannot be told they can't answer Mohammed. You asked; they get to answer. Full stop. You also should be able to say that MLK quoted from the Bible. The Bible is an actual book in the real world. Sometimes we sing songs with lyrics from the Bible, the citation of which is given right in our district-approved materials. That is okay.

What is NOT okay really is for you to give commentary on where you stand.

I don't want to to go to hell for not telling, but I figure I would lose my job, and no one would convert anyway. Plus, there are Muslim students in the class.

We are to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves. Being wise means knowing when to speak and not to speak. Even Jesus had many times when He did not speak, and when He counseled people not to speak. That does NOT mean that you're denying Him. I'm sure you, like me, if asked, would NOT say, "no, I'm not a follower of Christ". It's just knowing how much to say and when. To my mind that's just being wise.

So to apply that to the above situation. It is historically inaccurate to whitewash the ministry out of MLK's life, and if your school/district is trying to make you do that, it is dead wrong. Facts are facts, and I'm guessing if the historical figure were Muslim, that would not be whitewashed, correct? So there, you can absolutely stand on history and facts.

Now, should YOU give YOUR testimony at work in the classroom? No. You are paid to teach students, not proselytize. I am speaking of your teaching duties however, not how you interact one on one with coworkers. For a finer point on witnessing, think of this: do you want Muslim teachers witnessing to classrooms of captive kids? Do you want Hindu teachers doing the same? What we CAN do is stand up for what's right, such as not whitewashing history. We can pray for our students. Etc.

It's also hard to show what others perceive as Christian behavior when you're a teacher because of discipline problems. Kids today don't understand that there are consequences for actions, and teachers can be see as mean, especially if they get mad.

This is just a whole 'nother topic which needs a book. But yes.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even agnostic NT scholar Bart Ehrman confirms the historical Jesus in his book "Did Jesus Exist?"

He said yes of course.

Perhaps the question should be for your administration is if you are forbidden to speak of the historical Jesus as you compare His sayings and teachings and their influence on MLK. If they balk ask why as Ghandi is quoted profusely in schools and Ghandi said once "I'm a Hindu, Jew, Christian and Muslim."

Then buy them the Bart Ehrman book .Again Bart is no longer a Christian and claims he's agnostic with atheist leanings.

Here's the introduction to his book:

Bart Ehrman on the Historical Evidence of the Existence of Jesus of Nazareth

Warning: although Ehrman believes in a historical Jesus, he's unconvinced of Jesus's deity and that the gospels were written by apostles. So he for school purposes is a neutral source and for Christians a heretic.

Upvote 0