Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christian/Muslim/Jew All the Abramic religions are pretty much the same from an outsiders point of view.

Eww...

You admit your ignorance?

Thank God!

I'm glad someone has the guts to actually show us all that they have been arguing with Christians even though they don't understand the fundamental differences between us and extremist Muslims.

Do you really think that those people killing each other in Ireland are really following God's law?

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Curses! Foiled again.

Shane and I just went a few rounds. I think I will start a thread on teaching evolution in the schools sometime. I'm half tempted to put it in this forum, since I want to focus on the legal implications rather than the scientific validity of the theory. Hmm…

(How did this become a debate about terrorism?)

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
(How did this become a debate about terrorism?)

It's a favorite attack on the ultimate righteousness of Christianity (and religion in general).

The same ol' "Well Hitler was a Christian" argument. So full of holes that I could grate cheese with it.

Put it wherever you like. Regardless, it will turn into an argument about the validity of the theory.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"This is a rather bold acusation. Would you mind explaining how atheism causes terrorism"

Remember Soviet Russia? Or the current situation in China?

Government-sponsored terrorism against innocent people was an everyday occurance in communist Europe.
In China, it still is happenning, as it is in North Korea.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Susan
"This is a rather bold acusation. Would you mind explaining how atheism causes terrorism"

Government-sponsored terrorism against innocent people was an everyday occurance in communist Europe.

What does that have to do with atheism? In communist countries, it's authoritarian politics that's responsible. Massacres have occurred in the thoroughly Christian countries of Latin America, yet you never see any atheist make the mistake of saying that Christianity was responsible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Susan

You need to show how atheism causes terrorism.  The fact that the former Soviet Union and Communist China were/are officially atheist says nothing.  Correlation is not causation.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Job_38
How does it cause it? Because with no God and nothing to judge you yet other men, then the rules are nothing and there is no one to answer to.

And yet even with God, Christians still manage their share of atrocities. Sorry, but there is no historical evidence that Christian regimes are any less bloody. In fact, one could argue that being Christian makes you more likely to do bad things, since the Father will forgive you, if you only ask, and still let you into the Promised Land. Atheists see that they only have one life to live and most of them have better things to do than oppress and kill fellow humans.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Job_38
How does it cause it? Because with no God and nothing to judge you yet other men, then the rules are nothing and there is no one to answer to.

Here we go again.

However facts do not appear to back up your assertion. If you were right, our prisons would be overflowing with nonbelievers and that just isn't so. There would be high crime rates for nonbelievers and there just isn't. Look at the UK where something like half the population is nonbeliever, humanist or at least utterly apathetic towards religion. Low crime rate.

Being a nonbeliever does not mean being amoral.

Most nonbelievers I know operate under a moral system tied to the Golden rule and have a live and let live attitude. Live and let live attitudes and terrorism don't mix too well.

Also, the vast majority of terrorism has its' routes in political and economic struggles where those on the bottom feel, I believe mistakenly, that terrorism is their only option. (A possible exception is the militant antiabortion terrorists in the US.) This kind of situation can also lead to religious fanaticism. Religious fanaticism can lead people to commit acts of terror because of a belief that god has told them to do it. Look at the militant antiabortion crowds who advocate killing doctors and bombing of clinics. Look at 9/11.

While I would not say that religion causes terrorism, political and economic forces do that, I would say that I suspect that fanatical religion makes it easier for one to commit acts of terrorism and certainly the current state of the world would seem to back up that suspicion.

On the other hand, I see no evidence that the lack of a god belief makes anyone more prone to terrorism. Lack of a god belief is usually tied to the belief that morality is subjective but it also tends in practice to tie to the golden rule as a moral code. I would hardly think of forcing my morality onto someone else so long as that someone else was not harming me or others.

OTOH, those who believe in a god given objective morality might easily decide that god wants the person to force a morality onto others. We see a lot of this around the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Job 38:

"How does it cause it? Because with no God and nothing to judge you yet other men, then the rules are nothing and there is no one to answer to. "

"Of course there is not going to be a difference of the two groups. Why? Because we are humans. Faulty, sinful, can not do anything right, and think that we know what's going on."

Unless I'm misreading your posts now Job, I would say that you have some thinking to do. These appear to be in direct contradiction to one another. Or am I misreading you?

Upvote 0

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
Originally posted by crazyfingers

&nbsp;

Here we go again.

However facts do not appear to back up your assertion. If you were right, our prisons would be overflowing with nonbelievers and that just isn't so. There would be high crime rates for nonbelievers and there just isn't. Look at the UK where something like half the population is nonbeliever, humanist or at least utterly apathetic towards religion. Low crime rate.

Most nonbelievers I know operate under a moral system tied to the Golden rule and have a live and let live attitude. Live and let live attitudes and terrorism don't mix too well.

Also, the vast majority of terrorism has its' routes in political and economic struggles where those on the bottom feel, I believe mistakenly, that terrorism is their only option. (A possible exception is the militant antiabortion terrorists in the US.) This kind of situation can also lead to religious fanaticism. Religious fanaticism can lead people to commit acts of terror because of a belief that god has told them to do it. Look at the militant antiabortion crowds who advocate killing doctors and bombing of clinics. Look at 9/11.

While I would not say that religion causes terrorism, political and economic forces do that, I would say that I suspect that fanatical religion makes it easier for one to commit acts of terrorism and certainly the current state of the world would seem to back up that suspicion.

On the other hand, I see no evidence that the lack of a god belief makes anyone more prone to terrorism. Lack of a god belief is usually tied to the belief that morality is subjective but it also tends in practice to tie to the golden rule as a moral code. I would hardly think of forcing my morality onto someone else so long as that someone else was not harming me or others.

OTOH, those who believe in a god given objective morality might easily decide that god wants the person to force a morality onto others. We see a lot of this around the world.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;What we see is that perverted versions of religions popping up. Such as the Waco incident, where the leader was telling then we was Christ. Or the 9/11 attacks.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
Originally posted by crazyfingers

&nbsp;

Here we go again.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;What we see is that perverted versions of religions popping up. Such as the Waco incident, where the leader was telling then we was Christ. Or the 9/11 attacks.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0