Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I picked one of these up last Saturday. After looking at and reading reviews, and the price ($219.00 plus tax) I thought I would give it a try.
jw15a.jpg

(not my rifle, stock picture from the dealer).

Initial observations:
- Well packaged with lots of thick oil, in a plastic bag, in a box with fitted Styrofoam; manual included (very small exploded parts drawings though).
- Usual Norinco machining marks on the internals, and sharp edges in a lot of places (I'll see how it wears in before I do any polishing).
- The black bluing is very dark, even and smooth, and IMO better than both Savage and Marlin.
- After cleaning and oiling, I applied some Lithium grease to the bolt and the bolt slides, and worked the action maybe 50 times; and it smoothed out nice. There are some wear marks so I know what to
polish now.
- Sights: Front sight was loose; tightened the screw, it's hood is secure; the front blade is square and no contrast, added a bit of high vis paint to the tip. Rear sight had a lose adjustment ramp; I torqued
the spring a bit to provide more pressure on the ramp and it's good now. Edges are sharp, but the sights are visually finer than either the Marlin or the Savage.
- Composite Stock: First off; it felt and fit me way better than either the Savage Mark II and the Marlin XT; I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 for appearance and a 10/10 for fit (including free-floated barrel).
The sling rings are crooked, ugly and asymmetrical (I will be replacing them with screw in studs). The 24" barrel gives a long sight radius which is always a benefit for precise aiming.
- Rifling is strong and defined, and has a mirror finish. Pretty standard crown on the barrel (not threaded with a knurled protective nut as seen in most videos and pictures; I think standard crowning looks better, and I have no use for the thread anyway).

A number of reviews and some of Norinco's own material bill this rifle as a CZ clone; which it is but it is no CZ; however, at about 1/3 the cost, and the good reviews by others, I figured it certainly is worth a try!

I have yet to shoot it, but will report back here once I have.

Mark

Reactions: Servant68

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wow; Super impressed with the accuracy. Initially, it was shooting about 8" low and 3" right at 20 meters. I had to drift the rear sight a bit left; however, the front of the dove-tail is much tighter than the rear, and the sight twisted rather than drifted. I also had to move the elevation wedge into the very top position. However, it is on point now and I have been able to put 10 rounds of cheap thunderbolt ammo in a loonie sized hole at 20 M over and over again.

Considering the price point, this may be the absolute best value in a .22 bolt action.

I love it!

Mark

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
More shooting yesterday; when the rifle is on point, excellent accuracy; however I found after 4 or 5 clips, the groups were drifting to the right; after tapping the rear sight over two or three times, I noticed that the male dovetail on the leaf was not square with the sight line; likewise, I noted also that it was lose and would pivot 3 or 4 degrees back and forth in the dovetail slot in the barrel.

I contacted the dealer, and was asked to bring it in to the dealership; they looked at it and offered to give me a brand new rifle; they and I looked at it and concluded that it was both square and tight. I cleaned it up and set up the trigger, and now have a new rifle to break in. My wife and I are going out after Church; I have every confidence in the rifle; and a great deal of confidence, respect and gratitude for the good service from my dealer.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,083.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
More shooting yesterday; when the rifle is on point, excellent accuracy; however I found after 4 or 5 clips, the groups were drifting to the right; after tapping the rear sight over two or three times, I noticed that the male dovetail on the leaf was not square with the sight line; likewise, I noted also that it was lose and would pivot 3 or 4 degrees back and forth in the dovetail slot in the barrel.

I contacted the dealer, and was asked to bring it in to the dealership; they looked at it and offered to give me a brand new rifle; they and I looked at it and concluded that it was both square and tight. I cleaned it up and set up the trigger, and now have a new rifle to break in. My wife and I are going out after Church; I have every confidence in the rifle; and a great deal of confidence, respect and gratitude for the good service from my dealer.

As anticipated, could not be better!

Upvote 0